Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 03-21-2004, 10:15 PM

Default Live Recording

Just out of curiousity, are there any users who have been using an 002, or 002R (mbox too maybe?) and a laptop for live recording? I'm baffled as to whether or not it's worth getting a laptop for a protools system, seeing as they get performance pretty close to a lot of desktops but are just more expensive and less expandable. Basically just wondering if anyone has had a decent amount of success in recording live with a protools system.

PS - IF ANYONE HAS ANYTHING THEY'VE RECORDED LIVE AND WANT TO POST IT, PLEASE DO

Thanks,
Jono
Old 03-22-2004, 12:16 AM

Default Re: Live Recording

check my latest stuff link (I think it's one page back or so...) I record more live every few months than most engineers get in a lifetime (sort of goes with the "dayjob"). The most live recordings I've done in a single year is over 150. I've had a great deal of success with my 002 doing this since I got it 8 or 9 months ago; recorded Randy Newman with a full symphony just this past March 5th! Believe me, it's definitely up to the task. The posted audio was really my test run of the setup; wasn't even using good pre's. All that aside, I just can't afford a laptop right now. I haul around the entire comp and a couple of small LCD's. The next thing I purchase will definitely be a laptop (followed hopefully soon thereafter by a 002r for portability sake)...especially since many of them are beating my "big-ol 002" system (not to mention my TDM system too!).
Old 03-22-2004, 10:15 AM

I just did a 16 track live show with a cover band I've been mixing Saturday. I took direct outs from the board (soundcraft LX7) 8 of them when into my octopre via the d-sub line inputs and the other 8 straight into the analog inputs on the 002 rack. I didn't record the whole show (over 3 hours) I just had the band circle songs on the set list and recorded them, it came out to about 65 minutes. I did have some problems with my firwire drive at one point so I just switched to my internal drive and then it ran like a champ. My system is a Dell Inspiron 8500 with a 2.2 ghz p-4m, 512 of ddr, and a 30 gig internal with a bytecc firwire drive case with a maxtor 40 gig in it. I don't really like that drive though so I'm checking into SATA drives or maybe something running at 10,000 rpms instead of 7200. I used the 002rack along with my octopre, I'm thinking about adding a Rosetta to this setup for 2 more inputs via spdiff. It was quite easy to set everything up. I'm thinking about expanding on this rig to do it more live since there is a decent market for it where I am at as another part time income added to my live mixing, remote recording of cd's, and computer work (day job). I even had my girlfriend running the protools rig while I was mixing, I could've done it but she really likes running it. I've even let her run sessions, she's getting pretty good with it.

Best of Luck!
-Kevin
Old 03-22-2004, 10:30 AM

Quote:
I just can't afford a laptop right now. I haul around the entire comp ...
I know how you feel, but it is fun and the results are worth it.

I just finished recording a choir using the 002.

http://www.ehmz.org/Gallery/songs/12_Stars.mp3

Take Care,
Gene
Old 03-22-2004, 12:59 PM

I don't do any live recording on location, but I have found that my laptop is quite handy when recording mic'd tracks in my basement studio. My main system is a fast box I custom built myself, but the fans are LOUD. The laptop fans stil need to be isolated somewhat, but much less db than the desktop.
Old 03-22-2004, 05:55 PM

This may be the wrong forum to admit this, but I have been using the 002r with a 12" Powerbook G4 and it works pretty well so far for me. Pretty much all I do is on-location recording - I bought the Powerbook to replace my ailing MDM's - I already had the 002r hooked up to my PC - and so far so good. Just a pain at the moment to get the session from the Mac to the PC.
Old 03-22-2004, 06:13 PM

I find transferring to be a breeze. Just set a partition to 30 gigs or less and format it to fat 32 on your pc. That partition is a perfect courrier to go and forth with and is readily recognized by both computers. To be able to track easily on it with a mac, well...

Fairly simple solution, on your PC set up the fat partition and then bring it to the mac and setup a hfs+ partition on the remaining space.