Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 04-24-2004, 07:58 PM

Default Re: End of the line for our faithful Digi 001,

Hell no, I'll never "upgrade" unless Digi gives me 16 channels of digital i/o...I really dont care for the 002 converters and I'd be so damn happy just to plug my outboard converters into some digi box that doesn't cost $10G's...Digi had me by the balls for a while, but I've been getting familiar w/ Logic and I'm starting to see the end of the road for my Pro Tools setup....I'll still keep the 001, just so all the retarted musicians out there will still use my studio...They see Pro Tools and they think it's magic, little do they know that it's your signal chain going into your daw that matters...Oh well....I'm just ranting...Dont get me wrong, I'm not bitter because my 001 has made me approx. $140,000 in the past 3 or 4 years but I'll use this baby up until there's no more green power light at the end of the tunnell....

Peace
Old 04-24-2004, 08:46 PM

Quote:
my 001 has made me approx. $140,000 in the past 3 or 4 years
Shush, man! There's IRS people EVERYWHERE!
Old 04-24-2004, 09:57 PM

yup.....this will be my last year in my contract with digi and the 001.....then i will be free agent. im already preparing. Just purchased LogicPro6 and M-audio410 ($2000 Canadian) and i have more processing power, more plugins, more tracks, more portabitlity, more features more options and yes more headaches (as i learn iLogical Pro 6)(..come on Apple make it not ugly). PT does have the nicest interface for mixing and editing, IMO. But i am already prepared to leave this team.
I will keep my jersey (001) for old schoolers who think you need PT to do stuff but i will move on. I am tired of PT and its poor rewire implentation (crashes with Reason 3 times a day)....tired of them only letting you get ice time if you wear skates made by digi....tired of their arrogant desire to adapt to new technology.......but like i said i will hang up the jersey and keep it around.
Old 04-25-2004, 05:18 AM

Quote:
just curious... digi doesn't make OS9 versions of PT so far as i know.... not anymore. and you're happy with your digi001.
so... what exactly creates a problem for you? you don't have to worry about getting new hardware thats supported by software updates because you won't be using any updates in OS9. i don't think they are completely ditching support, as in like technical support. just not testing the unit with future OSX versions of pro tools. which doesn't apply to you. correct me if i'm missing something.
As we've stated, we've made the jump to OSX Panther...we've simply at this point remined in OS9 for most of our PT work as we have a vast plugin array. Since there will be no future upgrades, this could also mean the end of plugin upgrades as well because of incompatibility issues with upgraded plugins and older versions of PTle.

While we are happy with the performance, being forced out of the upgrade loop is not going to make anyone happy. There's always room for improvement, otherwise there'd be no need for any Digi products to be upgraded.
Old 04-25-2004, 11:39 AM

Where what plug-ins do you own that are not a free upgrade for you ? You keep stating that it would possibly cost thousands and you have a vast array of plug-ins etc. Which ones would cost you that much ? Running a Digi001 means you're running RTAS so please tell me which ones ? All the Digi stuff is free, McDSP free, Waves nominal for RTAS, Bombfactory now free, I mean honestly I can't think of anything that would cost you besides Waves. So please enlighten as to your argument on this.
Old 04-26-2004, 08:08 AM

Again I said potentially. Yes msot all upgrades have pased the pay for point now, however with no more upgrade for the 001, plugin upgrades won't happen either, as they won't be compatible with our out fo date version of PT.