Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2010, 10:46 AM

Default Tablet PC or iPAD

I decided to start another thread on this question for the users that are using a VNC Client to remotely control the Venue Line. So having tried both the tablet PC and iPAD which do you prefer and why? I have not tried the tablet yet but I'm curious to which operates better, right now I'm not that thrilled on the precision of the iPAD. I know some of you guys are going to chime in on great the iPad is or the Tablet is but has any of you tried both???
Old 08-24-2010, 05:58 PM

Default Re: Tablet PC or iPAD

Today I was talking to our IT guy about it, and he loaned me a tablet pc to tryout. Using the stylus on the screen was really easy and accurate. I was using it on our SC48, which we use for monitors. Adjusting aux sends wasn't that exciting, but I should have our D-Show added tomorrow to a closed network I'm having created. That will be a better test. Only plan on using it during sound checks, or adjusting monitors if I'm short a monitor guy.

I've been wanting to try/buy an iPad. But I could see how trying to use your finger to select a fader, could be difficult on an iPad. Can't wait to try one though. Someone on our staff owns one so I'll be giving him a call soon!
Old 08-24-2010, 06:07 PM

The iPad is okay...it can be a little brutal doing Aux sends/EQ adjustments with it...but there are some third party vendors out there that provide a stylus for the iPad and that makes using it a bit easier. I am not a fan of when you put the iPad down for a second and it goes to sleep that it disconnects from the wireless network leaving the user to have to create the session again. =/ I've used a tablet PC once or twice...and that seems to work a little better, but then you are carrying around something that is a little bit thicker than a iPad...in my opinion, it is hard for me to justify spending $500 bucks for a glorified iPod touch. I would much rather have the tablet which is a "real computer." Now, if the iPad was able to run OSX or Windows...that would make it superior.

Just my two cents.

| VENUE Profile 96X64 with MADI Option | ProTools 7.4.2 HD3 Accel PCI | ProTools 10 Native | MacBook Pro 17" OS 10.7.1 2.3GHz Intel Core i7 8GB Ram | Mbox 2 Pro | Mbox 3 Pro | Motu 896mk3 Hybrid |
Old 08-24-2010, 07:53 PM

Thanks Ken and Lee, I will get the stylus for the iPad and see if that helps and then try to beg/borrow/steal a tablet pc and see for my self. I hope to here from others who have tried both.
Old 08-25-2010, 06:37 AM

Let us know what you think once you have used both. Maybe you will be able to stumble upon something I've overlooked.

| VENUE Profile 96X64 with MADI Option | ProTools 7.4.2 HD3 Accel PCI | ProTools 10 Native | MacBook Pro 17" OS 10.7.1 2.3GHz Intel Core i7 8GB Ram | Mbox 2 Pro | Mbox 3 Pro | Motu 896mk3 Hybrid |
Old 08-25-2010, 07:34 AM

Using a stylus with the iPad sounds nice. I'd like to try that!
Old 08-25-2010, 08:14 AM

I know some people who use the stylus be Ten One Designs. I almost picked on up myself. They have a nice assortment of products...

Also it could depend on the VNC app you are using on your iPad. I think that's all been discussed on the threads here before though. I hear lots of good things about iTeleport. But that does come at a cost...
Old 08-25-2010, 01:28 PM

Yeah after doing some research on VNC for the iPAD the consensus was the iteleport, which I purchased.
Old 08-25-2010, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cppi View Post
Yeah after doing some research on VNC for the iPAD the consensus was the iteleport, which I purchased.
iTeleport is easily the best VNC app for iPad/iPhone/iTouch.

I've had it since it first came out (and it was one of the earliest apps available), and I have yet to find a better app for it.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 08-25-2010, 03:40 PM

I would agree. iTeleport is the way to go. With other apps, it is hard near impossible to adjust the faders. Becareful when choosing a stylus for the iPad. Some royally suck. This seems as though it is a good one...