Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 08-18-2005, 11:10 AM

Default DAE Error on external drives - dual-boot G4 / Mix3

Greetings,
So, I have this intermittent, yet consistently recurring problem with external Firewire drives on my G4 / 933 dual-boot, OS 9.2.2, and OSX.3. I've got PT Mix 5.1.1 on the OS9 system and PT 6.4 on the OSX system. I've only been running dual-boot for about six months, and the problem only appeared once I installed OSX and then PT 6.4...

Every once in a while, for no apparent reason that I can discern, I will open up a PT session in OS9 with files residing on an external Firewire, and when I press play, I get a DAE -36 error, and no playback. Any session with files on this drive will give me the same error. If I copy the files to another drive they work fine. Sometimes I can predict I will get this error, when I open a previously saved session, and I'll get the dialog asking where the audio files are, even though the drive is present and nothing has changed on the external drive directory structure. Even if I go ahead an re-locate the audio files, I get this DAE error. NOTE: If I boot into OSX, I do not get this error!

I've been able to correct this error by running Disk Warrior on the drives. Even if Disk Warrio doesn't encounter any obvious errors, it seems to correct the problem temporarily, although sometimes I have to run it more than once. There is one external Firewire that I haven't had this issue with, a Lacie. But another drive (from OWC), and a second Lacie, have this problem.

My hunch is that when I go into OSX, something in OSX and/or PT 6.4 is tweaking the directory structure of the drives in such a way that OS9 suddently thinks there is something wrong with them. Tech Support has suggested re-formatting, but they are already all formatted in Mac OS Extended.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! - Steve
Old 08-18-2005, 04:55 PM

Default Re: DAE Error on external drives - dual-boot G4 /

How did you format your disks? With Disk Utility in OS X? By using Erase Disk in OS 9? If you used neither method, that would be a good explanation for this problem.