Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2002, 10:58 AM

Default Integrating Cubase with Digi 001 studio

I have been using the Digi001/PTLE package on my Mac G4 dual 450 for about a year, and I really do like it (my only complaint is that the plug-ins are too host intensive, not allowing me to run many at all, and PTLE is not optimal for Midi). It sounds clean though and the interface is simple. I haven't had any problems, BUT...
After doing a session in a friend's Cubase studio, I became very interested in using the VST instruments. I installed Cubase on my mac and brought the Mark II LSM-4 drum module (which I love!). The way I've been working right now is to build audio tracks using the VST intruments, and then importing those tracks as SD2 files into PT where I then record audio. I can keep flying the tracks back and forth and this has been working for me, even though it is a bit labor intensive.

I would like to buy a simple interface (i.e. 2in/2out) for recording audio directly into Cubase. Can anyone suggest something? I've heard you can use the Digi001 with cubase, but there have been many reported problems...would it be better to learn to configure my Digi001 w/ cubase? What would be ideal would be a control surface that also has an audio interface which is compatible with both PT and VST, but I realize that is probably asking for too much! LOl....

Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated...

Thanks!

The Mighty Burner Homepage [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 06-27-2002, 11:07 AM

Default Re: Integrating Cubase with Digi 001 studio

use the digi001 as I do. download the asio driver from steinberg.net
Old 06-27-2002, 01:04 PM

If you just need VST I believe that the great Leigh Marble has programmed a VST wrapper for use with PT. This way you can just record the instruments directly into Pro Tools without having to go through all the other steps. I haven't actually used this program yet, but other people say it's great so might be worth a try.
Old 06-27-2002, 01:14 PM

any one know where to get the vst wrapper? and has anyone had any experience w/ it?

[url=www.myspace.com/chuckbutlermusic[/url]
Old 06-27-2002, 01:43 PM

Try Google... "Leigh Marble VST Wrapper". It looks like it's instruments only...anybody know if there is one available to use VST plug-ins?? I know a long time ago, that was brought up here. Maybe like a Wave-shell type of app??
Old 06-27-2002, 02:07 PM

Leigh Marble is a member of this forum. Do a search on his name and you should find what you're looking for.
Old 06-27-2002, 03:14 PM

If you are also looking for a control surface you may want to check out the Tascam US-428 which will allow you to have 4 simultaneous inputs to Cubase as well via ASIO.
Mine has speed up my recording and mixing sessions a whole heap - great jog/shuttle and zooming tools on it [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-28-2002, 12:23 AM

the asio/directio driver used to have something like 35ms of latency (unusable). What is it currently?

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.
Old 06-28-2002, 12:25 AM

I just monitor the source. latency, schmatency.
Old 06-28-2002, 06:51 AM

This is great info...thanks people! The Tascam unit may be just the ticket...the price is right (>$500.00usd), it has audio/midi in/out, and it is compatible with PT, Logic, and cubase...nice.

The Leigh Marble stuff is seriously interesting. If this wrapper works with PTLE, I will be estatic! Will this mean I won't ever have to even open Cubase? Sweet! AND, he is advertising a utility that will integrate Reason with PT...man, if that works, I will be one seriously happy camper (I really dig the Reason program, too!).

Here is the link to his sight...

Leigh Marble VST wrapper

As far as getting a second soundcard, I am trying to steer away from that option. I greatly prefer PT to Cubase for audio recording/editing, it's just the VST instrument thing that I dig with Cubase (the LSM-4 Mark II is fantastic...great 32-bit drum samples). The ideal solution would be to be able just run VST intruments in PTLE (keeping my fingers crossed!), and/or use a USB control surface/audio interface that is compatible with both (although I am not sure what the latency implications are).

Thanks again, people...this forum has been very helpful...keep the good info coming!

Be well,