Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 12-05-2015, 09:29 AM

Default Time adjust on MIDI

If there's a way to do this, I'm not finding it in the manual. Is there a way to do a time adjust in a MIDI clip like you can an audio clip? I had a MIDI clip and I wanted to experiment with having it run at double time and also 1/2 time to the session tempo. Its easy enough to do with elastic audio, but I can't find a MIDI track equivalent to do the same thing. I know I could commit to audio and then use the EA, but I was hoping there was a way to do it with MIDI as well. I can't just change the session tempo as that will mess up other MIDI tracks and such. Thanks.

Old 12-05-2015, 12:58 PM

Default Re: Time adjust on MIDI

Change the session tempo(BPM) to double and half of the current setting. Midi tracks will change to match. Audio that's in Samples mode will be unchanged. Audio that's in TICKS mode might change(WILL if EA is enabled, can't remember if EA is not enabled)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-05-2015, 03:59 PM

What Dave said and also if you have other midi or instrument tracks you DONT want to change in tempo etc..., change them from ticks to samples
Old 12-06-2015, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Change the session tempo(BPM) to double and half of the current setting. Midi tracks will change to match. Audio that's in Samples mode will be unchanged. Audio that's in TICKS mode might change(WILL if EA is enabled, can't remember if EA is not enabled)
Dave - Yeah, I know that part. I was hoping there was a way to time change a MIDI clip like you can an audio clip using EA. Apparently not. It might be a nice future option with MIDI to do that. Like with Boom, you can set the loop to play at tempo or 2x or 1/2 as I recall. That same feature resides in some other VIs as well, like Transfuser. Be nice to be able to, say, right click on a MIDI clip, select something like "change tempo" and have options like 'session tempo', '1/2 session tempo', '2X session tempo', etc. Make it a bit easier to experiment with arps and loops with various sounds. That's what I had in mind when I first posted on this.

The issue with changing the entire session tempo for one MIDI clip is what's already been stated...making sure it doesn't affect any other MIDI, Instrument or audio tracks. And it is cumbersome when you just want to experiment. Anyhow...just a thought and vote to make this a MIDI feature in some future upgrade.

Old 12-06-2015, 07:12 PM

Hey Donald, switch the track view to region and create a region group if separation exists, then use the TCE tool to compact or expand the region boundaries.
Old 12-07-2015, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filosofem View Post
Hey Donald, switch the track view to region and create a region group if separation exists, then use the TCE tool to compact or expand the region boundaries.
Thanks, Aaron. I haven't thought of this approach. I'll try that and see if it does what I'm looking to do.