Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 04-12-2013, 12:38 AM

Default Pro Tools tries to re-link deleted files. Why?

If I delete a track from a session (right click and select delete) and then also delete that file from the audio files folder inside the project folder, Pro Tools still prompts me to re-link that file every time I open the session.

Is there a way of telling Pro Tools that this files is no longer part of the session, so I don't get prompted every time?

(The reason why I delete the file from the audio files folder is because I'm sharing the session via Dropbox, and I have very limited space on there.)
Old 04-12-2013, 12:43 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools tries to re-link deleted files. Why?

You shouldn't delete files from outside PT, that are used in the session. Even if you delete it from the timeline it's still in the clip list, and when you erase it from the hdd, Pro Tools is looking for it.
In order to delete a file from within PT you have to select it, then hit shift+cmd+b (on a Mac that is) and choose "Delete". That way it will be removed from the session and deleted from the disk.
Now, in your particular scenario, you hit shift+cmd+d then shift+cmd+u then shift+cmd+b then choose "Remove".
This will remove all files that are not in the timeline from your session, and you won't be promped anymore.

iMac Pro
- MacOS 10.14.6
---
- Pro Tools U HDN 2019.6
- Avid HD Omni + HD I/O 8x8x8
- C|24 | S3 | Dock
Old 04-12-2013, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meads View Post
Now, in your particular scenario, you hit shift+cmd+d then shift+cmd+u then shift+cmd+b then choose "Remove".
This will remove all files that are not in the timeline from your session, and you won't be promped anymore.
What do each of these commands do exactly?
Old 04-12-2013, 01:03 AM

+d makes sure, all files that are used in the session are being displayed in the clip list (due to a search it might be, that only a selection is shown, and the following command only applies to those, that are being displayed in the list).

+u selects all visible files in the clip list, that are not currently used in the timeline.

+b lets you select if you only want to remove these files from the session, or if you want to delete them from your drive as well.

You can select all those options from the little arrow to the top right of the clip list as well.

iMac Pro
- MacOS 10.14.6
---
- Pro Tools U HDN 2019.6
- Avid HD Omni + HD I/O 8x8x8
- C|24 | S3 | Dock

Last edited by Meads; 04-12-2013 at 02:48 AM.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:38 AM

Awesome! Thank you very much.
Old 06-06-2021, 11:40 AM

This can't be the end of this conversation.
This is an explanation for what to do when you want to correctly delete files and not have Pro Tools attempt to relink them.

But the question still remains, what the heck to do with files that are ALREADY DELETED and protools continues to try to relink those files???????? Constantly being prompted to relink files that you don't want is incredibly annoying and it continuously happens. it's so frustrating!
Old 06-06-2021, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVaschon View Post
This can't be the end of this conversation.
This is an explanation for what to do when you want to correctly delete files and not have Pro Tools attempt to relink them.

But the question still remains, what the heck to do with files that are ALREADY DELETED and protools continues to try to relink those files???????? Constantly being prompted to relink files that you don't want is incredibly annoying and it continuously happens. it's so frustrating!
  1. right click on the top of the clip bin and select all "offline"
  2. right click on any of the selected clips and click "clear"
  3. save your session and re-open
Old 11-23-2021, 11:02 AM

Consider this thread bumped. Deleted a video track. Selected offline and unused clips, removed them from the session. Copied leftover audio files to a new session for mixing. Deleted original session, emptied Mac trash. Restarted Pro Tools. Open the session, it immediately launches a window searching for the video file.

Every thread I find online suggests clearing this clip from the clip list in some manner, but it's not listed there or referenced anywhere else in any part of the session.