Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2009, 03:27 PM

Default Vienna Symphonic Library

Hey guys,

Can anyone get this working in PT8? The window takes FOREVER to pop up, then when closed, it disappears and I can't even bring it back to change the settings or select presets. Other times, it just won't open at all. Is this working correctly yet? The last update I see is from August, which I have already installed.

Thanks,
Sig
Old 02-14-2009, 05:27 PM

Default Re: Vienna Symphonic Library

It is very stable for me using Vienna Ensemble 2 as the interface. Also is a better use of RAM this way.
Old 02-14-2009, 08:58 PM

Not working much better with Ensemble. I'm attempting to download the new beta version, but it won't come down from their site. Figures. All the other ones download but the one I need...

EDIT - appears that it's Camino...? Firefox works. Hopefully this does the trick.

Thanks!
Sig
Old 02-15-2009, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siegfried Meier View Post
Hey guys,

Can anyone get this working in PT8? The window takes FOREVER to pop up, then when closed, it disappears and I can't even bring it back to change the settings or select presets. Other times, it just won't open at all. Is this working correctly yet? The last update I see is from August, which I have already installed.

Thanks,
Sig
This is a known bug. In order to open the Vienna GUI again after having instantiated and closed it, click twice on the record or mute button to take the track in and out of record or mute and the Vianna GUI will again be available (i.e. clicking on the button to bring up the GUI will work again). There are a few other buttons besides rec and mute which work in the same way, give it a try, I am not in front of PT at the moment.

Cheers, Bob.
Old 02-15-2009, 08:01 AM

Nope, the newest version of Ensemble is crap too. I can get 1 instrument to work, then when I create a new one, the whole thing stops working. It sounds to me like there are really no serious people using this on the same computer with Pro Tools. I've searched their forum, and there's barely any info. Is everyone using a separate dedicated computer and running it on that? Standalone, or with Logic is it any better?? Is PC better than Mac? I'll build a dedicated system if it's what I must do, but they really shouldn't advertise that it works as RTAS with Pro Tools then.

Thanks,
Sig
Old 02-15-2009, 10:50 AM

Nope, the newest version of Ensemble is crap too. I can get 1 instrument to work, then when I create a new one, the whole thing stops working. It sounds to me like there are really no serious people using this on the same computer with Pro Tools. I've searched their forum, and there's barely any info. Is everyone using a separate dedicated computer and running it on that? Standalone, or with Logic is it any better?? Is PC better than Mac? I'll build a dedicated system if it's what I must do, but they really shouldn't advertise that it works as RTAS with Pro Tools then.

Edit - Well, that's what I've done this morning. New Intel Mac Mini running an M-Audio FW410 with the software dedicated to this machine. Run MIDI from PT into it, and it works great!! Looks a lot cooler to have it dedicated as well.

Thanks,
Sig
Old 02-15-2009, 11:44 AM

I agree that the main plugin is hard to deal with in PT, and for the reasons you've said, but using Ensemble as the front end makes things much easier. No problems here -- using it with two different machines. I don't have any advice for your particular case, just letting you know that the thing "can" work.

edit: I didn't see your edit the first time -- glad to know it's working for you. It's a stellar library. The upcoming convolution reverb will take it even further.
Old 02-15-2009, 05:13 PM

The Mac Mini doesn't handle a lot of instances in Ensemble at all I've found. I have 4 running, and I get sputters and clicks like crazy. The CPU is only running at about 10-15% peak, so I assume it's the hard drive (internal, which is a 5400 RPM on the Mini, I think) that's keeping me behind. Whether an external firewire will make it better or not, I don't know. It would be nice to hear about some other people's setups that are using Pro Tools as well. And if anyone knows any magical settings I can tweak, I'd love to hear about that as well.

I should note that these sputters and clicks would happen on the Pro Tools computer as well, which is a dual 2.66 Intel Mac Pro with 7GB of RAM.

Thanks!
Sig
Old 02-15-2009, 05:55 PM

You're not opening a new plugin for each instrument, right? Part of the point of Ensemble is that it can handle many instruments in ONE instance, one window.
Old 02-15-2009, 06:59 PM

Well, yes, I am doing that. I've been so used to working the way I did with the plug in PT that I have been opening a new instrument each time. I'm assuming I'm using too much RAM and the comp can't take it.

Tell me how you set up your system with a typical instrument consisting of a few instruments - ie. cello, violin, violas and basses.

Thanks so much for the help.
Sig