Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2000, 01:49 AM

Default Low Level Format?

I just got a used Segate Chetah HD previously mounted on a PC and I decided to low level format before using it for Audio on my Mac.

Someone told me that the HDs don't need to be level formatted after the first low level format made by Seagate and it's not good to do that...
is it true? does anybody use low level format? if so when is recomended to do that?
Old 05-09-2000, 02:16 AM

Default Re: Low Level Format?

Kenshiro,

A low level format is not needed that often and is indeed a bit dangerous at times...especially if the software you are using maps out bad blocks; once so called bad blocks are mapped out, it can be difficult to map them in again, if the software doing the format mapped them out, when they really didn't need to be. A simple initialization from the finder is adequate 99% of the time.

The time to do a low level format is when you have a drive that just will not behave correctly after initialization; or if you are selling a drive and want to wipe every trace of information you have had on the drive and want to make all files "completely unrecoverable". The factory format is best left on a drive unless you have MAJOR problems with the drive...in that case format away.

Regards

e
Old 05-09-2000, 09:47 AM
Avid

editor has provided some very accurate information regarding this issue, thanks.

An initialization (i.e. high level format) recreates the drive directory, partition map and removes all pointers to the data (i.e. erases the contents of the drive). However, the magnetic alignment of the particles on the plates remains (that's why Norton Utilities is sometimes able to recover erased data). A Low Level format is the only way to permanently erase the magnetic data.

Unless your drive is experiencing bad blocks, a Low Level format is generally unneccessary. However, if you do choose this method, proceed with caution. You can permanently damage your drive if you experience a brown out/power failure while performing a Low Level format. Lastly, initializing a drive is very short process while a Low Level format will take many hours (depending on the size of the drive).

Brent
Old 05-09-2000, 11:40 AM

I would add, if your drive is developing bad blocks, it's time to replace it.

------------------
--Steve Rosenthal, Digidesign ETS