Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 02-13-2000, 03:01 AM

Default PT5 will not open my PT4 sessions- S.O.S!!!!

Hi,

I need some major brain effort, guys, please, because I got a BIG, BIIIG problem here..... actually, a state of panic!

NONE of my PT4 sessions created on my 8100 rig with PTIII w/PT4.3.1, which is *everything*, will open on my new PTMix|Plus on the 9600/300 w/PT5 !!!

Description of symptoms:

When I try to do that, during session launch PT will quit unexpectadly with (occasionally) Type 28 error or, and without fail, will go into a deep freeze (three finger salute - the only way out) at the exact same spot, when the launch window says "Building Memory Locations". I don't know if it's indicative of something or pure coincidence, but the sessions I attempted to open today *have no* memory locations as in "locations", except for memory location #'s being used to memorize zoom levels.

From the Weird Dept:

Let me back track here for a sec. As some of you may recall, a couple of months back, when I was working on making PT5 work on NuBus, I encountered the same *exact* problem! PT 5 was humming along just fine and any sessions created in 5 worked fine. But every time I attempted to open one of the then current PT4 sessions.....WHAMMO!!!!....exactly as above. After trying every conceivable trick in the book I gave up, this being one of the factors that finally pushed me over the edge and into the waiting arms of the PT|MIX upgrade. What was even more bewildering and frustrating, that NONE of people I knew and was in contact with, who at the time were working on nearly identical configurations were experiencing this problem. Based on that, I had to come to the conclusion that it had to be some jinx, my rig-specific, and that was that. Until today, when I restored from DAT backup some sessions I need to work on, (which were not even on the drives at the time of previous trials), only to be confronted with the same exact problem, only now on a completely different machine AND PT system! So it's got to be something with the sessions then, but WHAT???? Again, I tried everything I can think of except one thing yet to be done, and that is, taking one of those sessions that won't open here and trying to open it at someone else's studio. Of course, that's really going to tell me nothing, other than that I have to run to somebody else every time I need to open a v.4 session?!!!......

From Now Things Get Even Weirder Dept:

To make things even more puzzling, just before that, I finished working on *25* different sessions created on PT 4.3.1 on many different PT stations, which I brought from school to review here and had not a slightest problem opening them on my rig!

Potential non-solutions:

In case you're thinking Track Transfer, ......thought about that too, but here again, a Catch 22 situation. I can't transfer these sessions to a previously created new PT5 session, because the godamm TT will not SEE PT4 sessions! I tried to fool it, and PT5 as well, by changing the File type from PT4S to PT5S. PT session icon did change to v.5 look, but TT crashes as soon as I click on Transfer button and PT still freezes during the session launch at the same exact moment as described above.

To those ready to say: "well, finally 7.6.1 bit you in the ass"....... not so fast. Just as during my NuBus experiments, now again, I figured that might be the source of the problem and upgraded to OS8.6, updated all drivers from FWB 2.5.2 to 3.0.2, nothin' doin' , same **** ......

It's Late:

Lastly, it's 2:30 AM and I just reinstalled PT 4.3.1, just to see what happens,........ not a single problem, everything opens up as it should!!!!

I am stumped, frazzled and in panic. Thank God, something made me smell the rat and pushed me to do the restore of those sessions and check it all out today, in preparation for tomorrow's session, which I already cancelled.

Well, as I just discovered, I suppose I can backtrack to 4.31 and keep going with that every time I need to work on a PT4 session, and I will have to, on tons of them, but if that's the case......

.....where the hell is my NuBus rocket ship!!! I want it back!!!!

Best Regards,

Arthur Alexander
a r t e k
P R O D U C T I O N S
Burbank, CA, USA
e-mail: [email protected]

Arthur
Burbank, CA,
[email protected]
Old 02-13-2000, 01:37 PM
Administrator

Default Re: PT5 will not open my PT4 sessions- S.O.S!!!!

Hi Arthur,
The information about how to use Track Transfer in this situation is in the Late Breaking Technical Information under the "Track Transfer" heading at http://www.digidesign.com/serv/hotis...#tracktransfer

Please list your whole configuration, including RAM, OS, cards, Disk Cache, Memory settings, etc. so we can see if any of those might be factors. I have opened lots of 4.3.1 sessions in 5.0 on a 9600/350/256kRAM MIXplus system with no problems running both OS 8.6 and 9.0.

------------------
Bruce Paine
eMarketing

Old 02-14-2000, 11:30 AM

Dear Bruce,

Thank you for lending a hand.

I went to the link above, but it appears that the TT 2.0.3 deals with track count issues relative to PT5LE, which won't help me since that TT doesn't in turn see PT5 sessions, so I'm back to square one. I have sessions that have no plugins and are no more than 2-4 tracks and I can't open those either. Unless of course I'm missing your point, which wouldn't surprise me since besides being very tired, I am also fighting a real nasty (re)bout of the flu. This combination of being tired and sick (as well as sick and tired) could easily account for a major brain clog on my part.

My configuration:

9600/300 w/128MB RAM, OS 7.6.1, Disk Cache 96K (tried others), DAE set to 2 (?, middle setting, tried others), Mix I/O in Slot #1, Mix Farm Slot #2, Monitor Video Card Slot #4., PT 30MB/DAE 40MB, 2 Glyph Hot Swap Racks with 4 Atlas II drives

As I mentioned, one of the things I did try, was to do clean install of OS 8.6 and updating all the drivers with HDT 3.0.2 (?, the one that came w/PT5 package).

Sessions open up with no problem on this rig as well, when I run PT 4.3.1 instead.

I have also opened lots of 4.3.1 sessions in 5.0 that is everybody else's EXCEPT for anything that's mine, originating from my previous 8100 rig, which never gave me the slightest bit of trouble or a sign of warning at the time. That's why I'm so stumped..... As you might recall, I did have that very same problem during my testing of PT5 on that NuBus rig, with PT5 running v.5 smooth as butter and opening other 4 sessions, but mine, so I thought "a glitch on THAT" rig, but now I'm on a new system and it's back.... There's clearly something that's isolated to MY sessions and the theme is consistant, they ALWAYS crash at that "Building Memory Locations" message in the launch progress window.

I also tried opening JUST the "empty" session files, by copying the session file to internal drives, dismounting the Audio Drives, and simply "skiping all" when quaried "where is audio...", they won't open, same scenario as above, at least 9 out of 10 times, sometimes "app quit unexpectedly" message, usually with type 28 error, occasionally type 2 or 3 error.

Same goes for trying all of the above with nothing but the 24-bit Mixer plug in the Plug-ins folder......

Again, thank you for your help.

Arthur
Burbank, CA,
[email protected]
Old 02-25-2000, 08:17 AM

I have just experiences the very same problem on a
Beige G3 300MHz tower
Mix/24
882/20/Adaptec 2940UW

My old 4.3.2 sessions open, but I just gor one from a major studio in Los Angeles that crashes while "Building Memory Locations".

It would be great if the Digi team would make a new version of track transfer available ASAP.

Thanks,
Carl Sealove
[email protected]
Old 02-25-2000, 08:54 AM

Okay-
Here's a workaround that worked for me. I'm not sure why this works!!
-Create a new, empty 4.3.2. session with the same frame rate and start time as the session that won't open in 5.0.
- Use track transfer 2.03 to transfer all tracks from the original session in to the newly created session (referencing the original sound files).
-Now the newly created session should open with Pro Tools 5.0

Arthur-please let me know if this works for you.

Carl Sealove
[email protected]
Old 02-26-2000, 08:11 AM

I too have had random crashes with the "loading Memory Locations". This evens happens when opening a session that was already in 5.0. Go figure. I am still running Waves 2.6 and I have been told that could be a problem as well. Will cahnge next week. Also large edit sessions with lots of Waves plugs created in 4.3.2 crash.

9600/466/448MBRam/Mix
Old 02-26-2000, 09:01 PM
Avid

Arteksound -
Since you have PT 4.3.1 loaded could you open 1 of these sessions and do a save as - then delete the memory locations, save it and see if it opens in PT 5.0 -

I just opened an old session from a backup CD that was done using PT 4.3.1 - It opend fine with PT 5.0

Let's see if we can narrow it down to the memory locations like you said. I'll check around on Monday to see if anyone has more info on this 1.

Carl -
Thanks for the workaround. You're right, I don't know why that would work but nothing suprises me anymore.

B Carter
Digidesign