Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 06-21-2021, 12:09 PM

Default No Sound (yes, again)

OK. Mac Mini, i7, 64 GB Ram, OS 10.15.7, PT 2021.3.1. I've used Logic for everything until recently. Have the need to start using Pro Tools. Downloaded, chose the Hardware (Presonus 32S console) and Playback Engine (same). Meters show there is something there, but no sound from the hardware. Logic Pro still has sound, so I'm sure it's something in the software. All of my searches tell me the same thing: Setup>Playback Engine will solve the problem. It doesn't. I changed the Playback Engine to Pro Tools Aggregate IO and had sound from my Mac speakers. Changed it back to the Presonus console and nothing. It may be something in the IO assignments. I'm not sure. Since I'm not at all familiar with Pro Tools I don't even know where to start to troubleshoot more.
Old 06-21-2021, 01:01 PM

Default Re: No Sound (yes, again)

Shooting from the hip; is Logic still open at the same time? If yes, try closing Logic before opening PT. Wondering if Logic is not allowing PT to access the Presonus

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-21-2021, 01:23 PM

Thanks. I did try that as well. I also thought that maybe Core Audio was interfering from Logic so I disabled it in Logic too.

I'm sure it's something so stupidly simple that I won't want to tell anyone what it was when I finally discover the problem.
Old 06-21-2021, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trawlings View Post
OK. Mac Mini, i7, 64 GB Ram, OS 10.15.7, PT 2021.3.1. I've used Logic for everything until recently. Have the need to start using Pro Tools. Downloaded, chose the Hardware (Presonus 32S console) and Playback Engine (same). Meters show there is something there, but no sound from the hardware. Logic Pro still has sound, so I'm sure it's something in the software. All of my searches tell me the same thing: Setup>Playback Engine will solve the problem. It doesn't. I changed the Playback Engine to Pro Tools Aggregate IO and had sound from my Mac speakers. Changed it back to the Presonus console and nothing. It may be something in the IO assignments. I'm not sure. Since I'm not at all familiar with Pro Tools I don't even know where to start to troubleshoot more.

Ok to back up a bit ::
#1 You did give PT access to the Mic in the Mac System Preferences > Security and Privacy > Microphone
Also unless you do want multiple Aggregate devices you do not want PT Aggregate in PT or on the Mac so check your Mac Sound and Mac Audio Midi setup and make sure they are showing the Presonus and not Aggregate or internal ,,, input or output

After that

So if in the PT Setup the Presonus is showing and selected as as the Hardware and is selected as the Playback engine ??? And you say are getting input signal showing in your tracks ?
Then (it should be ) BUT is the Presonus and all it channels showing in the I/O Setup window for input and output ? (or are the Mac channels showing ?)
If the presonus channels are showing then check on the Output tab lower right below the channel matrix graph Where it says "Monitor Path" which should be your chosen main outputs (default 1&2) to your monitor speakers

Also check the Bus tab and see what is showing for your "Default Output Bus" by default it should show your main 1 & 2 outputs
Which can be user selected to Something else Hint: PT does not have the default Stereo Out (2 bus) like logic But you can set the the default Output Bus to a stereo aux track and use it like the Stereo Output in logic as long as you set it's output to the main outs

If none of the above works then the default fallback is Close PT Google Trash Your protools Preferences and try that

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 06-21-2021, 11:39 PM

Good advice here but try going to i/o settings and delete all patjs and press default on all tabs like in/out/aux/bus etc on the inout and output pages.

So delete paths and then press default on both the in and out options.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 06-22-2021, 08:57 AM

Thanks for all of the help. I did finally figure it out, and as I suspected, it was insanely stupid user error.

I (wrongly) assumed that PT would work the same as Logic as far as IO was concerned. IN the IO setup, the default output was channels 1-2 on the Presonus console. I had changed it in the IO setup to match what Logic had as output channels (38-39). When I didn't get anything by doing that, I changed it back to 1-2 and started looking at the console for the solution.

When I changed the input of channels 1-2 on the console to USB (coming from the Mac) I suddenly had signal on those channels. Then I had to route the output of those channels to the main outputs (L-R) on the board and voila!

Frustrating, but I did finally get it working. I also (wrongly) assumed that the problem was with PT since I had sound when using Logic. I appreciate the assistance. Since I am still not very familiar with PT, you can most likely expect tp hear from me again.