Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 05-24-2021, 07:07 AM

Default Setting up MIDI Keyboard - Old Style

Hi, I'm trying to set up a MIDI keyboard (Casio WK-3000) as an input device, but I'm not having much luck. This is an older keyboard, and I'm using one of the MIDI In/Out style cables to connect to the USB in my computer. When doing so, I'm not getting Pro Tools to accept this as a MIDI input device. Any thoughts on how to get this functioning?
Old 05-24-2021, 07:16 AM

Default Re: Setting up MIDI Keyboard - Old Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNRMatt View Post
Hi, I'm trying to set up a MIDI keyboard (Casio WK-3000) as an input device, but I'm not having much luck. This is an older keyboard, and I'm using one of the MIDI In/Out style cables to connect to the USB in my computer. When doing so, I'm not getting Pro Tools to accept this as a MIDI input device. Any thoughts on how to get this functioning?
Maybe this older thread will help, but I have no idea what your setup is there.

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=216771
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.5, DP 11.3, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 05-25-2021, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNRMatt View Post
You're going to need a MIDI interface to connect the keyboard to your computer. The Casio does not have USB connections but the old-style 5 pin round DIN connections but you know that right?

What exactly are you trying to use the Casio for? To record MIDI notes, as a controller or what? Those entail different setups. I'd suggest reading the PT manual looking under the 'Setup' menu items. Are you on Mac or Windows? You give zero system information. Might want to put that in your forum profile.

Actually before doing anything in PT grab the free MIDI-OX (if you're on Windows) or snoize (if you're a Mac user) and run it in standalone mode. These utilities are indispensible when working with MIDI issues. They'll tell you if info is getting from your keyboard, into the computer, and what that info is.

QAPLA!
Old 05-25-2021, 12:53 PM

For Windows users, it all happens under Setup>Midi>Midi Studio. In that window, you create a new "instrument", name it as you like, brand and model are totally optional(can be left blank), and the crucial setting; the Input Path(so Pro Tools knows where to "look for" incoming midi data)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave