Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 05-24-2009, 09:31 PM

Default Re: Protools LE and the fight of its life?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
No, I'm comparing how much less left brain activity is required for 16 track analog than 24 track analog. DAWs are even worse than 24 track analog.
This may get me into trouble some time, but when I'm well into a session and I'm feeling comfortable w/ my metering, sometimes I throw a towel over the monitor...it's nice to stop looking at the damn thing for a while and just listen.

www.guyfi.com
www.flystudiosmilwaukee.com
Old 05-24-2009, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy.fi View Post
This may get me into trouble some time, but when I'm well into a session and I'm feeling comfortable w/ my metering, sometimes I throw a towel over the monitor...it's nice to stop looking at the damn thing for a while and just listen.
Massey have a plug-in for that

Personally I've moved the monitor. Instead of having it to the center I have it to the far right. Works OK, but would work even better if I wasn't so dependent on plugins.
Old 05-25-2009, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppertree View Post
...And as I've said before, one fully activated and interested Justin (of Reaper) is worth about 100 well-managed ordinary coders...
You're comparing apples to oranges.

Reaper is completely new with no requirement for compatibility with past versions, operating systems or, until recently, different platforms. Modern computers don't require nearly the optimization even five year old ones did. Starting a DAW from scratch today is trivial compared with what it once was.

Professional audio folks need to be able to reopen five and ten year old projects. Our projects are a huge investment, much greater than the cost of software. Reaper is really cool but will I be able to open a Reaper project ten years from now or will Justin have gotten bored and abandoned it after another year or so? That's the gamble.
Old 05-25-2009, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Reaper is really cool but will I be able to open a Reaper project ten years from now or will Justin have gotten bored and abandoned it after another year or so? That's the gamble.
Just ask us ex-PARIS users about that nightmare.... not just a matter of loading old software, but also the requirement of the hardware to even run the software.. (sigh) And PARIS is not alone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki-k View Post
Sometimes ya just gotta put your tongue on the 9V battery just to see what all the fuss is about.
Old 05-25-2009, 12:12 PM

Quote:
You're comparing apples to oranges.

Reaper is completely new with no requirement for compatibility with past versions, operating systems or, until recently, different platforms. Modern computers don't require nearly the optimization even five year old ones did. Starting a DAW from scratch today is trivial compared with what it once was.

Professional audio folks need to be able to reopen five and ten year old projects. Our projects are a huge investment, much greater than the cost of software. Reaper is really cool but will I be able to open a Reaper project ten years from now or will Justin have gotten bored and abandoned it after another year or so? That's the gamble.
File format compatibility is usually so easy to achieve that when you don't see it there is either someone totally 100%edly incompetent writing the new code or an idiotic manager that thinks they will force upgrde sales by breaking compatibility with the old.

Honestly as long as the general application domain remains the same writing a translator from one format to the other is generally something you break in a kid programmer with. It teaches them the model layer and gives them a low-hanging fruit with a solid definition of success. Only a true jerk makes upgrading difficult by being too lazy to write such a thing.

There is basically no chance Reaper will break its file format...I would expect it to be extensible, perhaps even XML (which was designed to take away any excuse not to maintain format compatibility), but I haven't looked. Reaper attracts counterculture open-sourcey types who will compete as to who is the first to write a free translator if the format ever did break.

As to Justin getting bored, that is absolutely the risk with Reaper, but most likely he would either sell to a deep pocket, in which case you'd get something like digidesign running it, or just throw it open source in which case probably a very very good kid (like Justin in his Winamp days) would mother it. I even asked him if he would sell to Digi seeing as they need a new engine and he laughed and said "I'd certainly listen to offers."

But he said Reaper is totally profitable (even though I understand he doesn't need it to be) and I'm not sure he could find himself in a funner position than where he is at the moment. The risk is he gets some other idea to chase; right now other than the iPhone there isn't much disruption uncovering new opportunities.
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and native DAWs stretch far away.
Old 05-25-2009, 01:53 PM

Hello. Spoke too soon about Reaper being a full release on Mac. It's still a Beta release and from the various reports it looks like it still has some bugs to get ironed out. So I think it may be two years after all for the folks at Cockos to get an official version on Mac. Two years is a long time. It just goes to show their expertise is on Windows, so I wonder what sort of future the software may have on the Mac side, seeing as it has taken them this long to even get beyond buggy Beta releases, and they are not even there yet.

Not that anyone cares here on the Windows forum but I was just correcting my earlier post. Carry on.
Old 05-25-2009, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiff View Post
Massey have a plug-in for that

Care to elaborate?

I love massey's plugins

www.guyfi.com
www.flystudiosmilwaukee.com
Old 05-25-2009, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy.fi View Post
Care to elaborate?

I love massey's plugins
I think he's talking about "Listen"

It's part of a package free plugs Massey had that where Mac only that were offered "As Is". There was one for session notes also and a couple of AU ones.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 05-26-2009, 04:48 AM

Maybe it's been stated in here already, but Propellerheads is not claiming Record to be a DAW.

For various reasons of course but if it is not a DAW and PT LE is, then apples and oranges come to play.

Cheers,
- J

Asus P5K Premium v3, Q6600, 2x2GB Corsair

Tyan Thunder n3600B (S2927A2NRF)
2xAMD OPTERON 2214 2.2GHZ

Win XP Pro SP3
Old 05-26-2009, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by froyo View Post
... It just goes to show their expertise is on Windows...
Not really.

Compatibility is simply a huge challenge and Unix is supposed to be a real bear to program real time applications for. This is why there aren't any significant student-programmed DAWs from twenty years ago.