Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2017, 09:20 PM

Default How to know the latest version on an expired PT license?

So I teach at a school that probably has 30-40 Pro Tools licenses that were purchased at various times. I have to say that the subscription thing has become an absolute nightmare. I try to help keep the software up to date on some of the computers but the large majority have now expired on upgrade plans (at various times). Some of the computers are running much older versions than the versions that were covered in their upgrade plan.

Today I thought that I had a license that would allow up to 12.7, but after I installed it (over it's current 12.4 version and with the upgraded newer ilok license) it gave the error..."you are trying to run a newer version of Pro Tools..." error. Now I understand that it may have just had this error. However, it messed things up big time because I couldn't find any earlier licenses to download in the Avid Account that I had access to so I had to scramble to get back to 12.4.

In any case, when I log into the ilok accounts and look at the licenses, I can't find any indication as to when it expired and what versions of Pro Tools will run with it.

Logging into the Avid account is just a giant mess because it just lists tons of licenses, but I don't know how I can relate which license to which ilok.

So my question is, is there an easy way to know what version of Pro Tools an expired license will allow? Is there a list somewhere that will tell you what versions of Pro Tools were released at which dates?
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio
Old 02-27-2017, 09:33 PM

Default Re: How to know the latest version on an expired PT license?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzi45Z View Post
Is there a list somewhere that will tell you what versions of Pro Tools were released at which dates?
Avid Knowledge Base - Release Dates and Versions for Pro Tools (v9 and later, includes Pro Tools HD)

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/faq/en393795
Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 * SSL UC-1 * Digidesign Command 8 * TECH 21 SansAmp 2.0 * Xvive U3 2.4Ghz Wireless Microphone * Shure SM57 & Rode NT2-A * Fender 30 & Champ 12 valve amps * M-Audio Axiom Pro 49 * PreSonus Speakers & Monitor Station V2 * Lenovo W520 laptop Type 427637U (32 GB RAM) with extra-Ports Dock + SSDs: 2 @ Samsung T5 + 1 @ Samsung T7 * 3 Screens: 15.6” Laptop + 24” BENQ GL2450-B + Samsung 27” CT550 curved Monitor * best Wife!
Old 02-28-2017, 01:02 AM

Im the In charge of over 75 PT licenses. We're an Avid Learning Partner (ALP) we recently paid to maintain our ALP status and received 75 new licenses that were labeled 12_6 but non of them worked with 12.6 and I was told that they would also work with 12.7 which also proved to be false! Avids license server is not working properly and they've no idea when it'll be sorted! Previously our licenses were labelled for specific versions of PT but as our licenses didn't work I was given redemption codes. These redemption codes dont state which version of PT is covered by the licenses but in an email from Avids Education rep I was told they would be valid for 12.5+. As far as where you've put your licenses you have to organise this yourself via the ilok manager naming each ilok. Ilok manager will show you everything you need to know about activation and deposit dates, location and developer names etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-28-2017, 08:09 AM

hi, as educators, you guys do not have a Spreadsheet with all this info ??

may i sincerely suggest, you have a Spreadsheet with all your license information and Some P-Touch Labels on your Systems / on the Computers themselves, so you can easily see at a glance what is happening with each system ..

do not rely on Avid to keep track of Your Systems .. it is not their responsibility

and make your students do it !! it will teach them to be Responsible so when they go out in the workforce they will be organized and confident that they can be a good employee / or business owner in their own right ..

please take this the right way, i only mean well ..

regards,

john

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 03-01-2017, 12:17 AM

We keep a spread sheet as well but this obviously has to be manually updated and with high numbers of licenses it can be a pain and only serves as a redundancy as iLok manager will keep track of everything deposited into your master account and these lists can be customised and then exported as a text file. And I would NEVER leave this responsibility to students unless you want a headache down the line!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk