Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2010, 04:41 PM

Default vocal editing and mixing to do cover songs

Hi everyone!

I'm new to recording and making music, and I would like to do cover songs like these people on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IL_sLyWNj7I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZ0qtdywBz8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SF3Rf896yL0

How do I set it to that type of vocal, everytime I record it sounds dry and not in tune/sync with the instrumentals/background sounds
How do I edit/mix/compress it like those people, what are the settings/plug ins?

THANK YOUU!!!!!
Old 10-27-2010, 07:56 AM

Default Re: vocal editing and mixing to do cover songs

How do I set it to that type of vocal, everytime I record it sounds dry and not in tune/sync with the instrumentals/background sounds
You have to learn to walk before you start running. Recording is an art and you don't learn it overnite, or with 1 question to the DUC(no offense intended here as all of us started off with no knowledge or skill). It takes a good voice, a good mic, a good preamp, a good sounding room, followed by proper treatment(EQ, compression, effects). All this needs to be done on good speakers in a treated room.....there's a lot going on here and experience is the best teacher, so dive in. As for SYNC, it could be latency from plugins, or recording with a high buffer(record at 64, and no plugins on the master track). As for tune/pitch, if you aren't singing in tune(and many don't) then you need a good tuning program(AutoTune, Melodyne, Waves Tune, etc) to fix the tuning(and it takes a certain level of musical talent to tune)
How do I edit/mix/compress it like those people, what are the settings/plug ins?
What settings and plugins are really unique to every vocal(assuming we are concentrating on vocals here) so telling you what to do without hearing what you HAVE, is like coloring by numbers. Use a compressor to even out the levels(volume) so the vocal stays at a more even volume(I use AudioSuite GAIN to level parts that are too soft or too loud, before adding a compressor). With EQ, start with a HPF(hi pass filter) to remove rumble and garbage below the range of the vocal(like most everything under 150Hz). Then, take any EQ band and set for a narrow and serious boost(like +9) and sweep the frequency while playing the track. When you hear "ugly" jump out, that frequency needs to be cut(start with -3). Repeat with a few more EQ bands(what this does is reduce the peaky areas for a smoother, more pleasing sound). If you can do it well, singing the same part twice(double-tracking) can sound great(but if you can't do it well......). Use reverb and delay sparingly(and always insert those plugins on AUX tracks and use sends to feed them). Try shorter reverb on faster songs(like 2 seconds of decay) and very short delays(like 60-100ms). IN any case, this should be a good start, so let the learning begin

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-28-2010, 04:01 AM

Thank you for the helpful tips and getting me started, i have a lot of learning ahead of me.

(and always insert those plugins on AUX tracks and use sends to feed them)
how do i insert the plugs in on aux tracks and send to feed them? and what does it do?

sorry for the newbie questions! and thank you so much for helping me out and the only person to answer these newbie questions MUCH APPRECIATED!!!
Old 10-28-2010, 08:41 AM

Hi.
I just bought a video camera, and while I have no idea how to use it, could someone please tell me how I can make films like Martin Scorsese?

Thanks. I'm a video noob.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejwells View Post
Hi.
I just bought a video camera, and while I have no idea how to use it, could someone please tell me how I can make films like Martin Scorsese?

Thanks. I'm a video noob.
First, you need to get a bunch of millions of dollars... then call me... it will be great.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 10-28-2010, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livepast00 View Post
Thank you for the helpful tips and getting me started, i have a lot of learning ahead of me.

(and always insert those plugins on AUX tracks and use sends to feed them)
how do i insert the plugs in on aux tracks and send to feed them? and what does it do?

sorry for the newbie questions! and thank you so much for helping me out and the only person to answer these newbie questions MUCH APPRECIATED!!!
Youtube will become a good friend here. Go there and search for Pro Tools. Also, there are several excellent DVD;s available, so check Amazon or your local music store.

Old 10-30-2010, 12:10 PM

should i add any vocal plug ins? like sans or airtalk ect..

and thank you for taking the time to answer my questions
Old 10-30-2010, 08:16 PM

You should add the plugins that get you the sound you want. Try everything(you need to do this to learn what plugins make what sounds). Its all part of the learning curve so be patient and dive in(just don't expect to make a hit recording on your first time out.....or second..........or eighteenth......). Every person learns at their own pace, so you have to find yours. Part of this learning will teach you how to ask better questions( I know that sounds odd, but it really is true) so we'll be here(but try to learn some on your own as it will make you a better engineer).

Old 11-02-2010, 11:32 AM

Ive been staying up to learn pro tools and im starting to get the hang of it, but i have a problem with my mic i think, every time i sing and record, my voice sounds deep, but my voice isnt that deep, im not sure if i have the right mic, im currently using audio-technica at4040, my pop filter is 2 inches from the mic and im standing 2 inches from the pop filter, so im about 4 to 5 inches away from the mic everytime i sing and record.

why does my vocal sound so deep every time i record? i also switched it to low past and -10db on the mic

PLZ HELP AND THANK YOU!!!
Old 11-02-2010, 11:42 AM

i'm new to medicine, but would like to do brain surgery like these people...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M68GeL8PafE

i have a saw just like they do, but how do i use it?