Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI

Old 03-24-2018, 07:39 AM

Default MIDI controller pickup

Hey, everyone, I need help, please! Hopefully I explain this correctly. Unfortunately, right now I don't have motorized fader controls. I recently got the Korg nanoKontrol Studio to give me a few fader/slider knob controls. In Logic Pro there's a pickup mode setting specifically for this issue.
This forces the fader in the DAW to stay put until the fader on the control surface reaches the same level. This is to prevent jumps in levels when you just need to tweak them a bit. This is an issue when moving the controller to different tracks with different levels. I read somewhere that Pro Tools has built in pickup support however it doesn't seem to be working. Every time I move a fader on my nanoKontrol the faders jump in Pro Tools before I actually reach the level I have set in Pro Tools. Does the Korg nanoKontrol not support this feature or is there a setting that I have to enable in Pro Tools?

I appreciate all responses in advance.
Old 04-10-2018, 08:31 AM

Default Re: MIDI controller pickup

Even if it does, its going to be a disappointing user experience. If budget doesn't allow for better, the Behringer BCF2000 might be worth a look. Otherwise, I would be looking at The Presonus Faderport8, a used Avid Artist Mix(maybe combined with an original Faderport). The original Faderport is a dandy little box and has a motorized fader, transport buttons, and automation select and gets plenty of use here(for the last 9 years). I bought a package of Artist Mix and Transport, and ended up selling the Transport(too many unlabeled buttons). There are some other options, depending on your budget($400-$5K)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-13-2020, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjblack View Post
Hey, everyone, I need help, please! Hopefully I explain this correctly. Unfortunately, right now I don't have motorized fader controls. I recently got the Korg nanoKontrol Studio to give me a few fader/slider knob controls. In Logic Pro there's a pickup mode setting specifically for this issue.
This forces the fader in the DAW to stay put until the fader on the control surface reaches the same level. This is to prevent jumps in levels when you just need to tweak them a bit. This is an issue when moving the controller to different tracks with different levels. I read somewhere that Pro Tools has built in pickup support however it doesn't seem to be working. Every time I move a fader on my nanoKontrol the faders jump in Pro Tools before I actually reach the level I have set in Pro Tools. Does the Korg nanoKontrol not support this feature or is there a setting that I have to enable in Pro Tools?

I appreciate all responses in advance.

Did you ever get this sorted? I have a Novation Keyboard and I have the same problem, where is the pickup choice in Pro Tools?
Old 01-04-2021, 02:00 PM

Opinions vary, but I think you are trying to use the wrong tool for the job(and Novation products can be a crapshoot with Pro Tools).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave