Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2007, 08:27 PM

Default Going totally software on a macbook

I use the korg m3 as my sequencer before I do audio dumps into PT and then mix. I wanna go mobile and leave the keyboards and modules at home. I could sequenece in PT, but it means I have to carry the 002 around with me. So my question is what software sequencers and soft synths do people recommend?? And would the macbook be tough enough to have tight midi timing?

Thank you
Old 09-07-2007, 11:25 PM

Default Re: Going totally software on a macbook

Hi !
I have been using DIGI 002R on stage for several years now. Currently I have MacBook Pro 2.16 GHz, 2GB RAM, LaCie 120 GB 7200 rpm external HD, FW 400. I record everything audio, except I use YAMAHA MOTF Rack for MIDI. Since I use 88 keyboard controller on stage, sometimes I record all bank, program changes, volume, pan, effect settings etc. on a single MIDI track as I play live along with my background sessions ( I use all eight analog outputs of DIGI connected to digital mixer ins. We have 4 separate aux mixes that we transmit to all musicians on stage- we all use wireless head monitors).My advice : Whatever your setup is DON'T UPGRADE TO PT 7.3.1 yet, because I did, and I experienced all sorts of problems with new software. When it comes down to soft synths, I wouldn't recommend using them on stage in front of an audience. The simple reason is: more likely you might have problems with playback, errors popping out of the blue... You would be safe recording all your MIDI tracks audio, and bringing them on stage, as long as you stay with PT 7.1.1 ( for MacBook Pro). For example Spectrasonics soft synths use tremendous amount of CPU- I wouldn't recommend them on stage, although they sound great. EW plug ins are a pain with RTAS format, and ocassionally hang the session, which on stage would mean embarrasement ( the song stops in a middle, just freezes !).All third party Rewire soft synths, although great sounding, are not really practical to use live along with PT sessions playback. I guess the safest and the most reliable so far for using live would be getting the newest Structure sampler from Digi, and utilizing for example Goliath Library for GM settings. The sounds are very good and well organized.( I just tested Structure free- it works very well, and doesn't use much CPU). I'm buying it in the next few days myself to take it along with me to Europe on tour ( Sept/Oct). Once again, whatever you do- DON'T UPGRADE to PT 7.3.1. Let them fix all bugs first ( I'm going back to PT 7.1.1). With PT 7.1.1 I did very well for over a year on stage with my MacBook Pro and DIGI 002 R.
Chris7514