Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Digidesign Hardware & Software

Old 09-21-2003, 04:14 PM

Default mixing pre-recorded tracks

Can I get vocals out of one song to mix into a different song? I want to use a vocal hook out of a song and drop to into another song can I do that with pro-tools and if so how?

TIA
Old 09-23-2003, 02:57 PM

Default Re: mixing pre-recorded tracks

Hi Prowler, and welcome to the DUC

Sure you can do that.

You can simply go to Edit/Import audio to track or "Import and convert" from the roll down menu at the top of the regions bin window. Point to the original vocal file and follow the import dialogues....

The vocal will appear in a new track or in the region bin to be pulled into a track depending on how you imported it.

Alternatively make a copy of the vocal track file and move it to the new session's "Audio File" folder (option + drag to leave the original in place).. and then import it from there using one of the methods above.

Hope this helps
Old 09-27-2003, 10:31 AM

"Point to the original vocal file and follow the import dialogues...."

Not to be a pain in the ass, but are you sure you know what I was asking? I want to create my own mix of a song from two different CD's. Can I separate the vocals from the music of a song off a store bought CD?
Sorry to ask again but your answer sounded to me as if you thought I had a single vocal track I wanted to drop into some music. I apologize if I wasn't clear.

Thanks.

Old 09-27-2003, 07:59 PM

[QUOTE]
Hi Prowler, and welcome to the DUC

Sure you can do that.

You can simply go to Edit/Import audio to track or "Import and convert" from the roll down menu at the top of the regions bin window. Point to the original vocal file and follow the import dialogues....

The vocal will appear in a new track or in the region bin to be pulled into a track depending on how you imported it.

Alternatively make a copy of the vocal track file and move it to the new session's "Audio File" folder (option + drag to leave the original in place).. and then import it from there using one of the methods above.

Hope this helps

imi,
Thanks for answering but I think I might not have been clear with my question. What I want to do is isoloate a vocal from a song with off a CD and mix it into another song off a CD, to make my own dance mix. In other words both songs are recorded with full vocals and music. Can I isolate elements (music or vocals) from songs with the ProTools program?
Hope that makes sense.

Prowler
Old 09-28-2003, 08:52 AM

Hi again Prowler,

Sorry about that, totally misunderstood what you were trying to do.

To isolate the vocals you'd have to do some pretty nifty noise gating/ducking using EQ as a side-chain, and even then the results would be doubtful as you're trying to isolate frequencies that are most likely shared with other instrruments.
Try searching the DUC for "karaoke" "isolating vocals" or such.

Personally I've tried doing this a couple of times but given up fairly quickly (maybe tooo quickly
Maybe someone else more successful and knowledgeable about these kind of techniques can chime in.
Sorry I couldn't be of more help