Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2022, 06:59 AM

Default NUGEN Audio [Lack Of] Support?

Hello DUC-ers,

I posted this over on GS, and also wanted to post here in case anyone had some insight.

I’m having difficulty finding some answers, and Nugen can take weeks to reply to my queries, so I wanted to post here. Does anyone know if Nugen products are fully Big Sur/Monterey compatible yet, and if they run native on Apple M1/Silicon?

Also, regarding Nugen’s AAXDSP cost add-on, the Nugen website states “Please note that the DSP version uses AAX Hybrid functionality, which is not yet supported by the HDX Hybrid Engine.” Does that mean that their DSP products are not actually 100% DSP? And won’t run on HDX hybrid even though Nugen is AAX hybrid?

Basically, I’m wondering if Nugen plans to continue supporting their products such as VISLM and Halo, and AAX DSP, or if I should begin to phase them out
Old 07-10-2022, 08:53 AM

Default Re: NUGEN Audio [Lack Of] Support?

I posed the same question regarding AAX DSP to Nugen Support and received the following response:

"Unfortunately we're aware of a compatibility problem with the DSP version of the plug-in with the Hybrid Engine in Pro Tools. Unfortunately it seems that the Hybrid Engine at present has trouble supporting hybrid native/DSP plug-ins (despite the name).

We are currently in discussion with Avid with the aim of resolving the issue. This may involve a compatibility fix included either in a future plug-in update, or the Pro Tools software. Unfortunately however, as it stands without reverting to a prior version of Pro Tools it will only be possible to use the native version of the plug-in for the time being.

We apologise for the inconvenience, however please let me know if you have any further queries."

Their latest installers are working here with M1/Monterey but I do not know if they are M1 Native.
Old 07-10-2022, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digidub View Post
Also, regarding Nugen’s AAXDSP cost add-on, the Nugen website states “Please note that the DSP version uses AAX Hybrid functionality, which is not yet supported by the HDX Hybrid Engine.” Does that mean that their DSP products are not actually 100% DSP?
I believe that means their DSP plugs communicate with non DSP components (like their send/link system) and when PT is in hybrid, it interferes. The actual plug is fully DSP though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by digidub View Post
Basically, I’m wondering if Nugen plans to continue supporting their products such as VISLM and Halo, and AAX DSP, or if I should begin to phase them out
Of course they are unless they are shutting down as a company. The issue they mention involves PT hybrid engine. If you work in pure HDX, nothing has changed. DSP still works.
Old 07-11-2022, 06:45 AM

That’s great to hear. Other users have asked this as well elsewhere. Their website isn’t very clear with updates and up-to-current news, so it’s hard to know. For example, I’m not sure if the Upmix bug has been fully fixed yet, that surround channels are completely dropped when upmixing from 5.0 and greater.
Old 07-11-2022, 07:24 AM

Halo is working well in Native on my Mac Studio Ultra. There is another bug which drives me crazy, which is when running multiple Halos the .4 height channels often get mis-assigned when you come back to a session the next day. Check those receive plug-ins! And turn dynamic plug-in processing off. I've seen the .4's go silent with dynamic on.
Old 07-11-2022, 10:24 AM

I also experienced the bug, that let the .4 height channels go quiet.
Nugen support got back on mail. They are aware of that bug and are working on a dot-release.

Best
Maik
Old 07-27-2022, 01:09 AM

Native Halo Upmix, ISL, and VisLM are all working fine here.

M1 Max MBP, Mac OS 12.4 Monterey.