Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Third Party Interfaces

Old 09-06-2018, 04:49 AM

Default Re: looking for a digital audio desk to run with Pro Tools 2018.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
I would also look at the Presonus, or the Midas M32. Both are solid live consoles. Not sure how they integrate with PT beyond the IO. I think the Midas offers a HUI mode that makes the right-hand bank of 8 faders work as HUI so they can control faders in your session. Then again, if you are willing to give Studio One a try, Presonus has done very good integration of their console and software Having mixed on both desks live, the Presonus has a handful of minor quirks, but nothing that would prevent me from using or recommending it.
I have to say after reading a bit more on the Midas M32 this is an interesting beast. I notice you have Midas in your signature are you running a M32 by chance. the Midas does in fact have a HUI mode and apparently which allows it to integrate with PT according to Midas. I've looked at a series 3 SL32... maybe when they sort out the DAW control feature..... by which time I will have something else

I notice we have one going locally ex showroom for aus$5500 which is within budget.

anyone have any experience with Yamaha TF series? in particular the TF5
2.2GHz 6 core 8 gen Intel Core i7 processor (TB’s to 4.1GHz)
32 Gb of 2400MHz DDR4, 1T SSD, Magic Mouse and Keyboard
Pro Tools 2022.7 -23.# - HEAT applied, RME Fireface UCX II
........and a bowl of M&M's
———————————————————————————

Last edited by xrekcor; 09-06-2018 at 11:24 AM.
Old 09-06-2018, 06:42 AM

Yikes!!! 5500 AUD new is a LOT!

I can get one for 4200 AUD brand new demo unit with all warranties etc for you plus maybe 200-300 AUD shipping and insured delivery door to door.

Also we have in my neighbourhood 2 used ones in MINT condition for less than 4000 AUD and both comes with original packaging and all that was included with the purchase. One even has 5 month warranty left.

Let me know if you decide on a M32 and if you need any help sourcing it to you.

PS. Albee has used one of the M32's in the past atleast but might still use it. Just keep in mind it is a Behringer product however you twist and turn the company structure and we all know Behringer is the equivalent of Bayliner boats, easy to get one but almost impossible to get rid off

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 09-06-2018, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
Yikes!!! 5500 AUD new is a LOT!

I can get one for 4200 AUD brand new demo unit with all warranties etc for you plus maybe 200-300 AUD shipping and insured delivery door to door.
That is actually marked down from rrp of $8,599.00.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
PS. Albee has used one of the M32's in the past atleast but might still use it. Just keep in mind it is a Behringer product however you twist and turn the company structure and we all know Behringer is the equivalent of Bayliner boats, easy to get one but almost impossible to get rid off
Really I didn’t know they were actually Behringer products..... kinda an instant turn off.... never liked their guitar fx..... or else I may have taken you up on sourcing one. I appreciate your input Southside thanks
Old 09-06-2018, 02:33 PM

Have you looked at the Yamaha TF5? It can do 32tracks via USB right into Protools or other DAWS. Yamaha's Youtube page has a lot of videos about it.
Old 09-06-2018, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 685 View Post
Have you looked at the Yamaha TF5? It can do 32tracks via USB right into Protools or other DAWS. Yamaha's Youtube page has a lot of videos about it.
yes I started having a look at the TF5 last night haven't made my mind up about that one yet but does look promising.

are you using one yourself?
Old 09-07-2018, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 685 View Post
Have you looked at the Yamaha TF5?
hey 685,

are you using the TF5, this is looking really good with a stack of features helpful for live and recording. and although I could only find hints that unit supports a variety of DAWs..... well actually they name Cubase but also point out "along with the other popular DAWs". I couldn't find any Yamaha youtube channels vids relating to PT. if you are using the TF5 with Pro Tools is everything syncing up ok?

I would say this unit makes the PreSonus StudioLive series 3 SL units look like they're trying to play catch up.

definitely considering the Yamaha TF5 (research a lil more) along with the Allen & Heath QU32 they seem to be the only ones to be able to work with Pro Tools.
Old 09-07-2018, 07:04 AM

Just looked through the whole TF reference manual and I still don't know if/how it will integrate with PT. My impressions from the manual: Looks like it has more features than the Qu32, the customization abilities look endless(and somewhat daunting due the depth), the work surface is clean and well ordered but at the expense of moving controls to the touch screen rotary encoder paradigm as opposed to the plenty of buttons and knob implementation of the Qu32. It is a bit pricier than the Q here in the States(approx. 300 USD), but if it suits your workflow, and you can figure out the PT implementation, then it looks like a great choice. I've always liked Yamaha's boards, just didn't fit my workflow.
Old 09-07-2018, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64GTOBOY View Post
Just looked through the whole TF reference manual and I still don't know if/how it will integrate with PT. My impressions from the manual: Looks like it has more features than the Qu32, the customization abilities look endless(and somewhat daunting due the depth), the work surface is clean and well ordered but at the expense of moving controls to the touch screen rotary encoder paradigm as opposed to the plenty of buttons and knob implementation of the Qu32. It is a bit pricier than the Q here in the States(approx. 300 USD), but if it suits your workflow, and you can figure out the PT implementation, then it looks like a great choice. I've always liked Yamaha's boards, just didn't fit my workflow.
yup doesn't really tell you much there, but going through the online vids you'll find out how, its pretty simple..... no driver needed for Mac.... basically from what I can tell connect TF5 to Mac via USB>turn both on>select TF5 in PT playback engine>on TF5 setup outputs to USB>in PT setup Hui controller in Peripherals dialog to sync the automated faders among other things.... anyways something like that and your away... still in the middle of sussing it.

im leaning more and more to this unit... a lot of handy stuff there that touch and turn feature actually looks pretty cool... touch an element on the touch screen gain, pan, fx elements or what ever and adjust with one knob... focus changes to whatever element you touch..... plus the standard touch screen gestures..

nice amount of AUX sends too....
Old 09-07-2018, 04:08 PM

hey 64GTOBOY,

Check this vid out the bloke goes right over the Yamaha TF3 same as TF5.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9G9aU4Y0sU
Old 09-07-2018, 10:20 PM

A few more thoughts:
Midas M32; darn nice mixer. Don't be put off by the Behringer connection. Behringer City(the factory) is so hi-tech, other industries go to China to see how they do it. Those consoles(and the X32 stuff) are all made in a factory that was done from the ground up to put quality in the forefront. I have never seen either M32 or X32 fail(a friend has an X32 Compact that got doused with gallons of water when a tent failed. Apart from a strip of white up the right side of the screen, it still works perfectly after 4-5 years.

The Midas in my rig is the XL48. Its an 8-channel preamp that sounds killer on drums and can interface via analog, optical or AES(on kick and snare, it beat my Vintech and API preamps). For live, the M32/X32 have effects that beat anything in that price bracket.

Re the A&H; any digital mixer that doesn't have LED scribble strips is a "no go" for me.....in the words of Darryl Hall..."I can't go for that"

Haven't tried the new Yamaha mixers, but they look pretty nice

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave