Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 07-28-2022, 09:13 AM

Default Feedback loop when recording live audio

Hi, I've just started using Pro Tools Ultimate and when recording live instruments using line in I am getting a constant feedback loop / white noise.

I thought It might be the graphics card so I tried removing it and using the onboard graphics. This made no difference.

When I move the instrument closer to the PC tower the feedback sound gets more intense. If you move the instrument further and further away you can eventually get rid of most of the feedback loop/ white noise.

I'm using an external USB 3 Soundcard which is plugged into the PC tower via USB 3.0.

I've uploaded few recordings of the feedback loop sound. You can check out the links here:

https://soundcloud.com/user-40698955...social_sharing

A friend suggested buying some sort of usb wire that can kill feedback loops but I am not really sure and can't find a shop that sells the item.

Any suggestions would be great,

many thanks
Old 07-28-2022, 11:01 AM

Default Re: Feedback loop when recording live audio

Hmm,my thoughts:
1-Feedback is caused by bad routing. The simple solution, for a simple live recording is to mute all the tracks(they still record just fine).
2-One of your uploaded sound files is name "high drive guitar amp...", is that a plugin amp sim or a mic on a real amp?
3-Most of the noise in all the examples doesn't sound like feedback to me. It sounds like serious interference. If you are using a laptop, try running it on the battery to see if anything changes. If not, try moving the computer and interface as far as cables allow. Or try getting your AC power from somewhere else.
4-If none of this helps, describe the entire setup in great detail(its impossible to give too MUCH information)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 07-29-2022, 06:35 AM

Hi thx for the hasty reply Dave.

Its an amp plugin using SansAmp. I was just trying to show how much more intense whatever this interference sound is when you add a drive effect to the guitar track.

Yes it is something in my PC but how to fix it? Perhaps the motherboard? Or could it be the cables connecting the components? Or the processor?

Its a desktop pc. I've just tried using an extension lead to plug the PC into a wall socket plug in the hallway which is about 5 meters away from the tower which has made no difference. I'm still getting the same noise.

The setup. The PC was also build as a workstation computer for working in 3D Architectural Design, complex 3D model making, rendering and creating animations in Revit and Sketchup.

Windows 10 Pro
Processor - Intel(R) Core9TM) i9-10850k CPU @3.60GHz 3.60Ghz
Ram 64.0GB 32GB DDR4- 3200 288-PIN DIMMx2
Motherboard - MPG Z490 GAMING PLUS (MS- 7C75) 2.0
Power Unit - 750W XPG Core Reactor Gold
GPU - Geforce RTX 2080 Super Windforce OC 8G
Sound Card - ZOOM UAC USB 3 Audio Converter

The soundcard is plugged into one of the USB ports on the Motherboard.
Not much else to it really.

I can still record audio and get a decent recording. You can't really notice the interference sound when the recorded audio is being played at a good level. Its only when you stop creating a signal / cease what you are recording into the audio track and when things quieten down the interference sound is to lingering in the background. Its way way more intense with tracks with drive or distortion effects active on them.
Old 07-29-2022, 07:19 AM

If I move the external soundcard 5 meters away from the desktop using my 5m USB 3.0 cable and the instrument I am recording, a guitar for example, I am pretty much able to get rid of the interference noise when the gain on the input is set below 50% (even with overdrive and distortion effects active), which kind of fixes the problem. Turning the gain knob to maximum even at 5m away from the desktop really intensifies the interreference sound.
I miss being able to just sit down at the computer and record. The closer you hold the electric guitar to the desktop with the pickups and electronics facing the desktop tower the more intense the interference sound becomes. Its almost as if the interference sound mimics the quiet electronic beeping sounds coming from inside the desktop tower, motherboard most probably.