Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9

Old 03-13-2020, 04:42 PM

Default Pro Tools 9 & M-Audio Fast Track Pro

PT9 sees my interface but I am unable to record. Playback works fine with head phones connected to Fast Track. This worked previously (although a # of yrs ago) so I'm hoping its something simple. Any ideas or direction to troubleshoot?
Old 03-14-2020, 06:43 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 9 & M-Audio Fast Track Pro

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=300050
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 03-14-2020, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdaddy View Post
PT9 sees my interface but I am unable to record. Playback works fine with head phones connected to Fast Track. This worked previously (although a # of yrs ago) so I'm hoping its something simple. Any ideas or direction to troubleshoot?
Welcome to the forum. Aswell as reading the Helpushelpyou, you should explain clearly what happens. What are you recording? What type of track? Input/output settings of that track. And so on. Have you changed anything with PT lately?
Old 03-14-2020, 09:19 PM

Thanks for responding. I'm attempting to record voice and guitar using a mike (MXL 990). I've tried adding to an existing session, also creating new session. I've tried Mono and Stereo I/O.

I have been trying to follow along in Ignite Guide for set up and updated Playback Engine per its recommendations.
Old 03-15-2020, 07:24 AM

Have you downloaded the latest drivers: http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...ck-Pro-Drivers

Here's a quick video on setting your IO which might help: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBtGjEhG6W8

And here's how you can reset your IO to defaults in case something has gotten messed up there: http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...p-in-Pro-Tools

Joel

Home:
Asus B450 Pro4 / Ryzen 5 2600 / 32GB RAM / Win 11 Pro
Pro Tools HD / Focusrite 18i20 + M-Audio ProFire 2626

Rig:
Eleven Rack / ART SLA1 / Two 2x10 Passive Monitors / FCB1010 w/ EurekaPROM
Old 03-15-2020, 09:17 AM

Thanks Joel - your suggestions are appreciated. I watched the video and I tried default settings - no luck. I'm reluctant to download new drivers as current driver worked fine with Windows 7 previously and I'm afraid of making things worse. I may try installing Pro Tools on another Windows 7 laptop - problem is I only have version 8 on CD.
Old 03-15-2020, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdaddy View Post
Thanks for responding. I'm attempting to record voice and guitar using a mike (MXL 990). I've tried adding to an existing session, also creating new session. I've tried Mono and Stereo I/O.

I have been trying to follow along in Ignite Guide for set up and updated Playback Engine per its recommendations.
Some basic guidelines:
1- your mic is a mono source so it should be recorded to a mono track.
2-a common newbie mistake is to try recording an instrument(like a guitar) to an INSTRUMENT track. INSTRUMENT tracks are for virtual instruments(plugin instruments). Guitar, voice, bass, etc should be recorded to an AUDIO track.
3-if the interface has a MIX knob on the front, that is for balancing recorded parts with a live part, so start with it at the 12 o'clock position(so you can hear both your new part you are recording, AND any other tracks or parts that are already recorded)
4-The MXL 990 is a condenser mic so it needs phantom power(and phantom power only goes to the XLR input, so a quarter inch plug will not work)
Hope that helps

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-15-2020, 04:23 PM

Thanks for your help - I think I am good on all 4 points (I documented all M-AUDIO settings from when this was working and made sure they are identical now). I also updated the M-AUDIO driver as Joel suggested (from 5.10.... to 6.1.11) but that didn't work. Maybe I need to bite the bullet and buy new stuff.