Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Carbon
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2022, 03:09 AM

Default Re: Carbon - How to renew? Perpetual or subscription?

Correct. To continue the subscription is priced at $299 USD a year and the Ultimate support and upgrade plan is $399 USD a year. Remember you can't let the Ultimate support and upgrade plan lapse for more than 30 days after the support and upgrade plan ends or you'll need a Ultimate reinstatement plan which may not be available from any dealer at that time. That's the trick Avid has imposed to keep some of us on the support and upgrade plan continuously.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D - BIOS F21b
Intel Core I9 10850K Windows11 / macOS 12.7.4 Hackintosh / 32GB of Rams
Avid Carbon/HDX 2024.3 Ultimate - 8x8x8 HD I/O - PT Dock - PT Control - Artist Mix (1)
Universal Audio Apollo Twin|X - UAD2 Pci-E and Satellite USB Octo v.11.0.1 - SOLO 610 - Twin-finity
Bricasti M7 (2)
Lexicon PCM96
Neumann KH805 - KH310
Yamaha NS-10M
Avantone Mixcubes
Grace Design M905
Etc, etc, etc.
Old 01-08-2022, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCorbin View Post
Baaack!

Let's start with the simple part... you ALL currently have a Pro Tools Ultimate Perpetual license in your Products Not Downloaded.

It is a normal perpetual license with a year of support & upgrades.

Once the year of support & upgrades lapses, you can choose to continue the contract to continue receiving updates & support.

The Pro Tools Subscription portion is new, and is currently not functioning as expected.

It is what we have been calling a Perpetual Parachute and it is intended to ALWAYS leave you with a Pro Tools license so you can always use your Carbon.

Once the Pro Tools Subscription expires, it is supposed to turn into a Perpetual license. This is not working correctly and we are actively trying to get it fixed.

Once it lapses into a Perpetual license, you can obviously continue to use PT, but you will be missing the goodies (updates, plugins, Heat, support etc) that came with the Subscription.

You can renew the Subscription at any time to flip the Perpetual back to a Subscription. There is not a grace period, you can currently renew the day after it lapses or a year later with no penalty.You can do this from MyAvid OR from a reseller... I do not think these are working correctly at the moment either. I have additional calls on this topic today and again on Monday to understand why.

m
So, with what was said above in red, does that mean that you are surrendering your perpetual license for a sub, or will it revert back to a perpetual when you let the sub end? And I’m strictly talking about the standard PT license that comes with the Carbon after the perpetual parachute deploys.
Old 01-08-2022, 09:31 AM

I'm going to assume whenever your stop the subscription it turns into a perpetual. As it was stated before its a subscription perpetual parachute. It turns into a license once you stop the subscription so you'll NEVER be without a license to operate your Pro Tools Carbon you paid a premium price for. So I'm led to believe that because Avid is allowing you to start and stop the subscription at will, anytime you don't re-up it turns into a perpetual. If you want to get current you'll have to re-up for at least a year's subscription. I guess that's the meaning of Avid's Perpetual Parachute.

We can still ask Mark just to be sure.

Avid Carbon/HDX 2024.3 Ultimate - 8x8x8 HD I/O - PT Dock - PT Control - Artist Mix (1)
Universal Audio Apollo Twin|X - UAD2 Pci-E and Satellite USB Octo v.11.0.1 - SOLO 610 - Twin-finity
Bricasti M7 (2)
Lexicon PCM96
Neumann KH805 - KH310
Yamaha NS-10M
Avantone Mixcubes
Grace Design M905
Etc, etc, etc.

Last edited by abc1mce2; 01-10-2022 at 08:43 AM.
Old 01-08-2022, 09:39 AM

I would love to test this theory but since I already owned an Ultimate license prior to my Carbon purchase, I opted to surrender the PT Carbon Subscription Perpetual Parachute license in favor of an additional year of support and upgrade plan for my current Ultimate license.

Now I have 2 Ultimate licenses (one in my products not downloaded yet Avid account). So now my support and upgrade plan doesn't expire till March 31, 2023, on the 1 Ultimate license I'm currently using.

Bricasti M7 (2)
Lexicon PCM96
Neumann KH805 - KH310
Yamaha NS-10M
Avantone Mixcubes
Grace Design M905
Etc, etc, etc.

Last edited by abc1mce2; 01-10-2022 at 08:42 AM.
Old 01-09-2022, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alberti1 View Post
So, with what was said above in red, does that mean that you are surrendering your perpetual license for a sub, or will it revert back to a perpetual when you let the sub end? And I’m strictly talking about the standard PT license that comes with the Carbon after the perpetual parachute deploys.
I assume that's the case too. I think you have a subscription everytime you renew it and a perpetual in the "expired" period.

That is, very unique and a way of promoting Carbon-
Ferrofish 16 I/O

www.albertolombardi.com

facebook - instagram - youtube
Old 01-12-2022, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alberti1 View Post
and also: what version of "ProTools Carbon" does it fall back to once you stop a subscription that was started after letting the provided license expire to a perpetual license?

What I am getting at is this: Would they let you skip a couple years and get around the ugly "reinstatement" fee by just buying a single year of subscription and then being up to date - also once if falls back to perpetual again?
Old 01-12-2022, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martthie_08 View Post
and also: what version of "ProTools Carbon" does it fall back to once you stop a subscription that was started after letting the provided license expire to a perpetual license?

What I am getting at is this: Would they let you skip a couple years and get around the ugly "reinstatement" fee by just buying a single year of subscription and then being up to date - also once if falls back to perpetual again?
To my understanding, you would be stuck at the last version that was released before your subscription expired. Once it expires your subscription turns into a perpetual parachute which by their meaning is you can renew at any time without penalty for a year (currently $299 USD) to get the current PT version (and the Complete Plugin Bundle for that year). When any PT Carbon subscription expires (Perpetual Parachute) you'll keep the last version released while your subscription was activated.

This is a nice bonus for Carbon users as the rest of us perpetual Standard or Ultimate License owners would have to buy an expensive Reinstatement Plan to get current if we let our Support and Upgrade Plan lapse.

Also remember this only applies to the PT Carbon Perpetual Parachute license that comes with every Carbon, not the PT Ultimate license that you were given during the promo period. The Ultimate license you must re-up every year ($399 USD) to stay current or risk not being able to update in the future. Avid no longer sells Reinstatement Plans for lapsed perpetual license holders. There are still a few available from dealers but that won't last long.

Bricasti M7 (2)
Lexicon PCM96
Neumann KH805 - KH310
Yamaha NS-10M
Avantone Mixcubes
Grace Design M905
Etc, etc, etc.
Old 01-13-2022, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abc1mce2 View Post
When any PT Carbon subscription expires (Perpetual Parachute) you'll keep the last version released while your subscription was activated.

This is a nice bonus for Carbon users as the rest of us perpetual Standard or Ultimate License owners would have to buy an expensive Reinstatement Plan to get current if we let our Support and Upgrade Plan lapse.
thanks for the reply!
this sounds too good to be true,
if you don't mind me asking, where did you get this information from?

just to be 100% clear on this:
I'm talking about the situation where you have a Carbon perpetual parachute license,
which you then decide to start another year of subscription on (if this is even possible).

Let's say you are on 2021.12 perpetual parachute.
In 2026 you pay for one year of subscription on that license, get 2026.3 (or whatever).
In 2027 you let the subscription run out...
What version will your perpetual license be - 2021.12 or 2026.3?
Old 01-13-2022, 04:38 AM

38 posts and nothing is clear.

Some input from Avid would be useful.
Old 01-13-2022, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCorbin View Post
Baaack!

Let's start with the simple part... you ALL currently have a Pro Tools Ultimate Perpetual license in your Products Not Downloaded.

It is a normal perpetual license with a year of support & upgrades.

Once the year of support & upgrades lapses, you can choose to continue the contract to continue receiving updates & support.

The Pro Tools Subscription portion is new and is currently not functioning as expected.

It is what we have been calling a Perpetual Parachute and it is intended to ALWAYS leave you with a Pro Tools license so you can always use your Carbon.

Once the Pro Tools Subscription expires, it is supposed to turn into a Perpetual license. This is not working correctly and we are actively trying to get it fixed.

Once it lapses into a Perpetual license, you can obviously continue to use PT, but you will be missing the goodies (updates, plugins, Heat, support, etc) that came with the Subscription.

You can renew the Subscription at any time to flip the Perpetual back to a Subscription. There is not a grace period, you can currently renew the day after it lapses or a year later with no penalty. You can do this from MyAvid OR from a reseller... I do not think these are working correctly at the moment either. I have additional calls on this topic today and again on Monday to understand why.

I hope this helps... we're working hard to get the licensing all sorted for you all.

I'll let you know more once I know more!

m

Mark from Avid is where I got it from (it's in this thread).
Though it's not functioning as expected in the MyAvid account just yet, This is the way Avid intends for it to be.
I'll email an Avid rep. again to get more answers for you.

Bricasti M7 (2)
Lexicon PCM96
Neumann KH805 - KH310
Yamaha NS-10M
Avantone Mixcubes
Grace Design M905
Etc, etc, etc.