Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2002, 07:49 PM

Default CDs that only play on SOME CD players

I occasionally have this problem:

I burn a CDR with Toast, and it will play on some CD players but not others. I'm not talking about really old CD players either, but I am talking about a variety of units from car stereos to boom boxes to standalone players.

It only happens occasionally, and has never happened with the more expensive CDRs (though I burn several dozen cheaper "Wallmart" CDs for every 1 "expensive" CD -- so it might not be the CDs).

Anyawy, does this ever happen to anyone else? Anyone know what the cause is?
Old 04-04-2002, 08:03 PM

Default Re: CDs that only play on SOME CD players

What type of burner? What Speed? Some older burners have serious issues. Especially older Firewire & USB burners. The only other thing it could be is the type of disk. I use Verbatem disks with my Lacie 24x (firewire) Burner and have NEVER had a problem. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-04-2002, 08:45 PM

Some cheap crappy blank CDs (think the $10 for 100 "prime peripheral" that you get at Staples) won't play in car CD player or some boomboxes. You need to upgrade to a better quality blank CD.

I recommend the Tayo Yuden, $.69/pop at Guitar Center, but you have to make your own experiences [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

6am eternal
Old 04-04-2002, 08:53 PM

Actually, the burner which gives me the most problems is a SCSI burner; I've only had a problem with a firewire burner once. The SCSI is a Glyph/Yamaha -- can't remember the specific model at the moment.

Don't get me wrong -- this doesn't happen OFTEN. Maybe 1 CD out of 75. But it isn't a matter of burning a coaster; the CD definitely will play on most players.

Also, I usually burn at 1x or 2x, 95 percent of the time. In fact, alhtough I rarely burn at at 4, 6 or 8x, I don't believe it's ever happened at these speeds.

I am leaning toward the cheap (or defective) CD theory, but I'm not sure.
Old 04-04-2002, 08:56 PM

We use Sony CD-R media and never burn a coaster or a disc that will not play in anything. BestBuy, $24/50 spindle.
Old 04-05-2002, 06:35 AM

Try using Jam or MasterList. I don't believe Toast makes a RedBook (industry standard audio format) CD.
Old 04-05-2002, 07:32 AM

Toast creates an "orange book" CD that some players don't recognize. Even our 2000 model Dodge Ram CD player has trouble with Toast Audio CD's.
Old 04-05-2002, 09:26 AM

I have an early DVD player that doesn't recognize CDRs. The newer players are more accomodating. I belive software that burns in "red book" mode will allow CDs to play on all players, but not sure.

dp / knobville
Old 04-05-2002, 05:37 PM

There are issues with CD-R media in certain players. I have used silver, gold, black, blue, green and cd-rw burned with Jam that will not play in some newer players and especially in the multi-function player game machines. (X-Box). These same cd's play in every other player imaginable but the lasers used in some machines don't reflect properly off of any media surface except commercially produced cd's and games. It matters not whether the cd-r is burned red book, orange book or any other flavor of book you care to name. The problem is in the hardware of the playback machine, not from the cd-r media or the burning software.
Old 04-05-2002, 06:56 PM

Location: From: Trinidad (Humboldt Co.); living: somewhere between Chicago and St.Louis...

-Hello. Black CDR's? I don't believe I've seen them. What Brand(s) are they? I heard some one else mention the black CDRs....