Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 01-28-2021, 09:02 AM

Default A Striking Lack Of Functionality

Hello PT forum

I have had pro tools since August and it ran relatively well on my Microsoft Surface. However, I got a new computer for Christmas (HP Spectre, 16GB Ram, Intel Core i7) and when I installed PT here it only worked for a little while before it crashed. I tried to launch it again but my computer screen started strobing so I shut it down. After this I ran some other programs that were taxing on the processor and graphically so I knew that my computer was not the issue and I uninstalled/reinstalled Pro Tools. Again, it only worked one time before it crashed and would not open again without immediately crashing. I did some reading on this forum and ultimately decided to uninstall/reinstall AGAIN but as you can probably assume from the fact that I am posting here-it still doesn't work. I also know that it is not my interface that's screwy because I have used it with two other computers and it worked fine (It's a Behringer UMC 202HD). Anyway, I tried it again recently and all the buttons were replaced by a red square with "PNG" written on it and I have attatched a screenshot. I feel like I've exhausted all of my options but I don't want to switch to Ableton without asking the forum first :)

Thank you in advance,
Benjamin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg protoolsmessup.jpg (24.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-29-2021, 12:47 PM

Default Re: A Striking Lack Of Functionality

That looks like a major graphics issue to me(maybe try updating the graphics driver). While its better these days than it used to be, Pro Tools is still a finicky beast and you can't make any assumptions on any new PC being compatible. As for other DAW options, Ableton is certainly one of them, but Studio One and Reaper are both highly capable programs and are much less finicky than PT.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave