Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2013, 02:38 PM

Question trying to transfer a PT10 license

So here's the situation. I purchased a PT8->10 upgrade license but then found out I didn't need it because my PT8 had been bought within some sort of window that entitled me to a free upgrade. Avid sent me the free upgrade license. Cool, I'm not complaining about that. :) Now follow along closely to what happens next. At this point I have TWO 8->10 upgrade licenses in my iLok account. I installed one of them, which required surrendering my PT8 license, which is fine. So now I have a working PT10 system, but I still have one remaining PT8->10 upgrade license in my iLok account. I'd like to sell or gift that license to another PT8 user. Ah, but here's where the trouble starts. Apparently I can't transfer the license without first downloading it to my iLok. But I can't download it to my iLok, because downloading it requires surrendering a PT8 license (which I no longer have). So I seem to be stuck with an upgrade license which is of no use to me or to anyone else, even though I paid for it. I suspect some fundamental lack of understanding on my part on how the whole iLok system works, because surely this is a situation that must arise from time to time. I'm not even sure if this is an issue for Avid, or if it would be more appropriate for me to contact iLok about it.

Any useful insights on this?
Old 01-11-2013, 03:55 PM
Avid

Default Re: trying to transfer a PT10 license

Welcome to the forum!

Part of the Upgrade is the 'surrender' of the v8 license, so without that you cannot complete the upgrade process.

We started a support case for you since we'll need more detailed info to proceed.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:34 PM

Default Re: trying to transfer a PT10 license

You could probably transfer the license to someone after the fact.