Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments

Old 04-03-2008, 07:33 PM

Default Pro Tools is a peice of crap

I have been trying to get PT to work for over a year. I started with MBox2 and after it finally worked (6-8 hours with tech support) I made the mistake of thinking that if I up graded to the 003 Rack it would be better. I spent over 12 hours over a two day period with tech support trying to get it installed so that it would launch. Finally after getting it to launch I was able to record and mix 3 tunes that included input from Reason. Now, without any changes PT does not recognize reason. It says the plug in has become inactive. Not only that, when I first launch PT it can't find the 003 rack. Then after a relaunch it suddenly can find it. I spent over 3 grand for a Mac Pro with dual core 2x 2.66 Ghz and 2 GB of DDR2-F8 DIMM running 10.4.8 Pro Tools LE 7.4 that is solely dedicated to PT. No email or web surfing. I think Pro Tools is a totally unstable peice of crap. All I want is something that will work consistantly and not have to spend any time with tech support. Any suggestions?

4/5/08 Now Reason works. I have done nothing. This is not the first time this has happened. Can this software be that unstable?
Old 04-03-2008, 11:41 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools is a peice of crap

Have you checked that the osx version you are running is compatable with the version
of ProTools you are running. Second check out the plugin compability list to se if your
version of pro tools supports the version of plugin you are runing. It's at this adress :

http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?...n=news_details

Remember for example that osx 10.5 (Leopard) is not officially supported yet with ProTools LE.
Be very carefull with version compability. Iv had many sleepless nights because I'v upgraded
to a version of osx or a plugin version that was not compatibel with the version of ProTools
I was running.

After many reinstalls of osx, protools and plugins, I finally choose the correct compatible
versions. ProTools LE 7.4 now works just fine on my IMAC 20" 2 GB ram, 2.1GHz Intel CPU.
By the way, I run Mbox2 pro and OSX 10.4.9 (wich I think is the current supported os version for ProTools LE7.4). Works fine for me:)

But your problem could of course be something else than version incombillaty. I dont know
if you already have checked this ?
Old 04-04-2008, 09:45 AM

Something is not right with your configuration... I only have experience with the 002R but it's the same setup and compatibility issues, and it's very reliable. What's your firewire chain like? External drive and 003R in the correct order? Is your firewire drive's chipset on the compatibility list?

Reason becoming inactive in Pro Tools... does Reason still run stand-alone? If you've updated any of the Apple components recently or upgraded the entire OS you might need to run the Pace prebind script.

http://www.paceap.com/prebind_script.dmg

What version of OS X are you on?

-Allan
16GB MacBook Air 2020 Intel, MacOS 10.15.7, PT 2020.12; 2.8 GHz Core i7 16GB MacBook Pro 2014, MacOS 10.14.6, Thunderbolt Native/PTU 2020.5; 3.4 GHz Xeon 3-1270 Quad 16GB HP Z210 Win 7x64 SP1 & HD2 Accel/PTHD 10.3.10 or Digi 002/PT 12.4
Old 04-04-2008, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Any suggestions?
Yes. Since it does appear to be a PT issue more than a VI issue, you may want to post a detailed decription of the problems along with whatever system info is asked for in the Mac forum.

The other repsonses suggested that there's somethign wrong with the configuration which may be true, but one would think, and hope, that these possible issues were identifed during your tech support calls. But, I guess that always isn't the case.

And finally, to judge PT based solely on your own experience isn't fair and it isn't accurate. Many people are using the systems trouble free. Any system has problems and somtimes no matter what you do, you can't fix them, for whatever reason. So I cut you slack knowing you're frustrated, but keep in mind you always have options.

I'm a Windows user, LE and don't use Reason so I'm afraid I can't be of much help beyond these suggestions. But there are plenty of experienced Mac users on this forum that will try to help you provided you provide the info they need to help you troubleshoot.
Old 04-04-2008, 05:34 PM

THANKS FOR THE REPLY. I am running OS X 10.4.8 . When I bought the computer it had 10.4.9 installed but the disk that came with it was 10.4.8 and I had to re install to that version. The version of Reason that I have is compatible with the version of PT. Here's my delema. I have recorded a tune at 5:am this morning in PT using Reason. Tonight I came home to open it and PT says 1st that it can't find 003. I quit and re open and it loads PT. I try to open the tune I did this morning and PT does not recognize Reason and will not open it. I have not made any upgrades since the last time Reason was installed
Old 04-06-2008, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Pro Tools is a peice of crap
Works fine for me. Sounds like Digidesign is out to make your life miserable.

Can you not see that it may be just an issue with your configuration?

I don't have the answer for you, however, after 8 or so years of being on this forum, these sorts of random posts grow tiresome.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:31 AM

Back in '99 I went through hell with my G3 266 and PT. Sometimes I could get PT running, sometimes I couldn't. All sorts of strange things happened constantly with that machine, and my dealer accused me of duplicating my system folder. Yeah, right.

I finally said to my dealer that they could go .... themselves, and they gave me a new G4 400. All good after that. As it turned out, there were something wrong with the power supply, and all components in the G3 died one by one. The only thing they could use from it was the chassis.

Get your hardware checked.
Old 04-07-2008, 03:33 AM

OK. First I would check if you have any screen og energy savers on. If you do disable them all!!!
I have experienced loosing connection with both Mbox2 and Mbox2 Pro when I had energy saver
enabled.

If that don't solve you problem I would try this :

1) Reboot your mac, start pro tools and choose a new session (don't open the one you recorded
with Reason).

2) Try to record without any plugins. Save your session and exit ProTools.

3) Start up ProTools again and open the session you just recorded. Does that work ?

4) Start adding plugins one at at time and do steps 1-3 for each plugin you add.

Maby you can isolate the problem this way.
Old 04-07-2008, 03:15 PM
Avid

Quote:

4/5/08 Now Reason works. I have done nothing. This is not the first time this has happened. Can this software be that unstable?
I'm assuming your problem is solved then?

If not, please let us know.

As for if the software can be this unstable - obviously if it was this unstable for everyone, we wouldn't be in business for very long. Most likely there is something specific to your system that caused the problem - there are many possibilities, but determining what was the ultimate cause would take some troubleshooting. If everything is working, we won't be able to do that, since we'll need to see whether changes made to a problematic system reveal the culprit.

You have to remember that, just because the symptom exhibits itself when using Pro Tools, it's not an absolute indicator that Pro Tools is the cause of the problem. Pro Tools and Reason both rely on their own installed components, as well as OS services that could present symptoms like this if they experience a glitch or corruption.

Let us know if you're still having any problems and we'll try to help.
Old 04-08-2008, 07:24 AM

Have you ever repaired permissions, run cron scripts and plugged the 003 into the firewire port in the front of the mac instead of the back? I've had problems in the past with firewire ports on the rear of a G5...worked sometimes. But the port on the front worked every time.

Also, trash all PT preferences (see the utility on the TDM forum) and post your results.

I think you're having a hardware issue and it might of been better to post in the PTLE forum instead of the virtual instruments forum.

I'd trash Reason preferences as well.

Have you had problems with any other VI's?

Do you have core audio setup to automatically launch when any application launches?

What version of QT are you using?

2 GB of ram really isn't enough for music computers...you should think about bumping it up to 4GB.

BTW - I'm on a mac pro early 2007 model 3.0 running HD3. Absolutely rock solid.
http://www.fishertheband.com
Mac Pro (Late 2013) 3.5 GHz 6-core Intel Xeon E5 - 32 GB Ram / 1TB Flash Storage - Avid HD I/O - Latest Mac OS - HDX3 - Latest PT Version.