Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2004, 01:38 PM

Default cheap PC bundles (BestBuy/Walmart) ok for digi001?

I'm looking at doing the (used?) Digi001 Protools setup at home, but I do not have a PC setup yet to do so. I want to keep it cheap, so I've been looking at those PC bundle deals that you always see at BestBuy/Walmart/Target/CircuitCity/etc. Something like this:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...%3A3944%3A3951

Compaq Presario SR1033WM-B Computer with a Compaq CV7500 17" CRT monitor

80 GB Ultra DMA Hard drive

512 MB DDR-SDRAM with up to 64 MB allocated to video memory

Integrated Intel Extreme Graphics with up to 64 MB shared video memory

128 K secondary-level cache

CD-RW/DVD-ROM Combo Drive 48x24x16x48

9-in-1 Memory Card Reader

High speed V.92 56K flex modem

Integrated 10/100 Base-T networking interface

Presario USB powered analog speakers

Presario keyboard and Compaq Scroller mouse

Available slots: 2 PCI;

Available external ports: 5 USB 2.0 - 1 serial - 1 parallel;

Available bays: one 5.25"

Software Included: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Microsoft Works, Microsoft Money 2004, Intuit Quicken Financial Center includes New Users Edition 2004, Adobe Acrobat Reader, InterVideo WinDVD SE player, RecordNow (create your own CDs), MusicMatch Jukebox, Real One Player, Windows Movie Maker 2.0

Now I know that you guys are all loaded with the PC/mac gear for recording, and that this looks like a piece of s$%t to ya'll. But, remember that I want to keep it cheap, and these type of deals are always in my mind for the home PC use anyway. I might get one even if I can't use it for the recording end of things.

So is something like this setup ok for the Protools digi001 recording, and then burning CDs, etc?

Sorry for being so ignorant on this topic, but that's why I'm asking ya'll.

Thanx.
Old 07-29-2004, 01:49 PM

Default Re: cheap PC bundles (BestBuy/Walmart) ok for digi001?

For starters, make sure the system doesn't have a SIS chipset as it is not supported by Digi hardware..
Old 07-29-2004, 02:18 PM

According to the HP Website, that PC uses an Intel 845GV chipset. As far as I know, all of the Intel 845 variants have proven compatible with Pro Tools LE and associated hardware. My current system uses the Intel 845D chipset, and it's been solid (but not impressive!) for a couple of years.

The hard drive is listed as 7200 RPM, so that's good as well.

The CPU could be either a Celeron or a P4; it varies by individual system, so there's no way for me to tell for sure. Base model is a Celeron 2.8GHz.

Graphics are integrated, and there's no AGP slot. Upgradability is limited with this system.

But considering the Intel 845 series chipset and the 7200 RPM hard drive... This PC should be compatible.

Mike
- PreSonus Quantum 2 - PreSonus Studio 24c - Mackie Onyx 1640i
- Samsung T3 and T5 SSDs - Various USB2/3 and Firewire HDDs
Old 07-29-2004, 02:32 PM

First off, thanx for the quick replies.

Yep, it's a Cerleron (well at least that's what the ad says). They list a few different tables of specs on that site...weird. Anyway, I'm not sure if it's a Celeron or a Celeron-D, which I think have different chipsets, right?

BTW, I like you're "should" comment....nice!

Any other views? I'd hate to buy this thing, and then find out it won't do the job, ya'know?
Old 07-29-2004, 06:33 PM

Better check the compatibility page as I think Celerons are not approved.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 08-02-2004, 03:52 PM

just to say, digi doesn't approve of SiS chipsets, but I have one and have for over 2 years working with PT and no problems. Not to say that you wont get any if you get SiS, but there are several ppl here using them with wicked results.
Old 08-02-2004, 04:57 PM

Location: Holland, MI - Osage Beach, MO - Rancho Palos Verdes, CA

Quote:
First off, thanx for the quick replies.

Yep, it's a Cerleron (well at least that's what the ad says). They list a few different tables of specs on that site...weird. Anyway, I'm not sure if it's a Celeron or a Celeron-D, which I think have different chipsets, right?

BTW, I like you're "should" comment....nice!

Any other views? I'd hate to buy this thing, and then find out it won't do the job, ya'know?
If you want an excellent deal for good hardware, you should check out a comparable Dell system. If you start shopping around, you will see that you can get something really nice for a little money. I got a Pentium 4 3.0Ghz with 512Mb Ram (and some decent size/speed drives with WinXP Pro) for $600 when it all got said and done. The trick is to get a deal on the 17" LCD with the system, then resell it on eBay for $450 (or whatever the market cost is). I also resold the free Palm Pilot that came with my system.

It may seem like a pain to buy and resell things like that, but you end up getting a great deal in the end.
Old 08-02-2004, 06:49 PM

JMTCW
I'd say avoid it for audio!

1) avoid celerons. it's the budget cpu. used to be much worse at arithmetic processing. has improved, but I still say avoid celerons and get a true intel p4 or amd xp.

2) onboard peripherals are basically bad news. cheap to build but bad news in terms of upgrading, drivers and usually compatability.
If it had an agp slot you oculd turn off the onboard graphics and buy a real video card. but apparently it hasn't ??

3) Shared video ram (64mb), as well as taking system ram, has massive performance implications. video ram should be fast and local so the cpu doens't have to sort its life out. (the cpu manages system ram one way or another)

4) no firewire.
For audio you should have two physical drives (ideally 7200rpm or faster and ide 133).
But firewire is an easy way to expand. also firewire is becoming defcato.
you'd need it to run a 002 later.
you can buy add on firewire cards dead cheap but can of worms. digi has an approved list which may help. (PS always go for oxford chips in the hard drives)

5) In my personal experience I've had endless probelms with "on-board" usb and firewire ports.
I now always buy pci cards and i've not had a problem since.

6) Limited pci slots (2 spare) could be a nightmare quickly. you may only have certtain interupt choices and if the 001 doesn't like them - plus any pc expansion (like firewire) ....

I recommend building a pc yourself, or paying someone to do it for you. the local shop you order the parts from may do it for 50 bucks extra...
Not because it will be cheaper, but because you'll know what's in it and can do something about it if it doesn't go according to plan.

JMTCW and don't mean to deter you!
But like you said I don't want you to be dissappointed.
If it's only an intro machine and you're not expecting many tracks/plug-ins then maybe.
But digi stuff seems quite erm. fussy if you want any sort of probably work guarantee.

but i'd be delighted to be wrong
Old 08-04-2004, 12:07 PM

Ok, I think I'll wait on it and maybe go a much safer, albeit more expensive route. Thanx for the comments everyone.

I have checked out a few of the other threads here and see that AMD stuff (athlon 64 and XP) gets good praise (at least the laptops do). A few that folks have really liked have decent price tags at BestBuy, too. So maybe I could eventually try one (not sure on their return policy for PC's...30 days on almost everything else...not digi cams, tho'). Either way, I'll pass on the system I described and a few others that look alot like it.

I was thinking of using it for some everyday PC stuff at home, too, but alot of folks (if not all) say to stay away from anything else on it except PT. Anything else (internet especially) could easily result in problems for me altogether on the same machine....let alone fill up the drive with other programs, games, etc.

I just was looking for the cheap way into it. Not the best solution, I guess.

I should look around here some more for some follow up questions, since I'm sor new to this, but let me ask one here:

If I decided to save up a little more and do one of the AMD laptops that everyone seems to dig for PT, I would have to do the M-Box (not 001), right? BTW, I do not want to go the 002 route.

If that's true, (and bear with me here....real newbie), how does the M-box handle MIDI? I know the USB can be used for a MIDI box (MOTU, etc), but isn't the USB the connection used for the M-box to PC? I will want to record and re-record tracks using an external seq (workstation, like an XP-50 or a Triton...I prefer them over s/w seqs). So how does the MIDI/USB for M-box/PC/seq work?

I guess the M-box would be better anyway for future expansion/updates to software than the 001, as I just read that the 001 will not be able to use any further updates to s/w for PT. Wadd'ya think?

Thanks again for all the info/opinions, as I'm sure that you guys get sick of anwering the same questions for newbies like myself!!!