Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2004, 06:33 PM

Default ProToolsOnPc.com - New website - Help Out

I haven't done a thing with it yet, but considering my Pro-tools HD 3 system is now on a PC (the G4 died about 2 weeks ago) my 001 and M-Box are both on PC, i'm thinkin that I'll be sticking with this platform for my personal workload, and I've registered www.protoolsonpc.com with hopes of a kind of "add on" for regulars, i've thrown a page up in 10 minutes, linked the "Forum of Pro-tools Solutions" to the forum on my website for now, with a few solutions up there.

the idea for this, is, no questions - "how do I" or "what is wrong" generally an archive of duc answers, tips, commonly repetative asked questions... just the answers.

If you feel like it, get a username / pass for the forum, and add some of the things you've answered in here many times over.

if there is enough interest in this, I'll build a specific forum, just for the PT solutions, and transfer all of your posts to the new forum.

there is a little chat app on there, for real time chat, for possibly DUC users, trouble shooting problems, to log on, in real time, chat, and help one another - you have to install a little Java applet, there is no addware, or spyware in it - just a banner in the chat window.

Again, if there is interest, and frequent chatting going on, i'll find a much better chat app to intigrate into the page, as said before, i literally put this together in about 10 minutes.

it's like a beta test, if there is usage, comments, and interest, I will continue to develop this page.

We'll ask Rail if we can put all his PT apps here for Download, Have session templates, FX setting files sections etc... perhaps these could be topics on the forum, that aren't included here.

you're welcome to make suggestions here in this thread, as I said, it's pretty lame right now, but the real time chat for the DUC may be cool - we'll see.

http://www.protoolsonpc.com

- MacStudio M1
- HDX II Sonnet xMacStudio
- 16x16 HD i/o x 6
- PT ULTIMATE
- SONOMA
- ProTools Dock / S1 / Control App
Old 07-28-2004, 07:40 PM

Default Re: ProToolsOnPc.com - New website - Help Out

If someone could just "drop in" to the chat, so that I can test it and see that it works, just pop in, fire off the word "Test" and quit the chat right away - I'm not "combing for a chat"

I just want to be sure that others can pop in and out, I've had it on for an hour, and no users have "joined" the chat.

Once I know it works, I'll leave it, to any of you that wnat to say, "pop on to the protoolsonpc (P-TOP)" Chat, and I'll give you a hand trouble shooting etc... or whatever - this may be a really stupid idea, however, 10 minutes has turned into an hour, and i just want to see if it works more then anything - I may be away smoking (I just took up smoking ) but if I see TEST in the window, I know it works.

Thanks

- MacStudio M1
- 16x16 HD i/o x 6
- PT ULTIMATE
- SONOMA
Old 07-29-2004, 09:09 AM

I tried to drop in last night but my connection froze and required the 3 finger salute to exit. Problem could have been on my end but I haven't tried again.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 07-29-2004, 01:56 PM

no triplefingered problems here, but just the "broken image/red cross" symbol. If you run your own server you can get some software for free top create a forum just like this or even a chatroom for free.

But usually your server needs to feel comfy with mysql, php and Perl.

If you have your own server, checkout www.sourceforge.net for free software. (This is GNU stuff; so that means add/spy-free software for free because of principle; no illegal stuff)

Bastiaan
Old 07-30-2004, 06:10 PM

I've met a couple of people on the chat - seen several log on, so it does seem to work - you have to install the little Java Applet when you get the prompt "do you trust this IRCapplet from JPilot" it doesn't Install Spyware, or addware, just a little java chat applet.

I will definately look into a better integrated chat app, i haven't found an asp one that doesn't have to refresh the page every 5 seconds, which is annoying.

- MacStudio M1
- 16x16 HD i/o x 6
- PT ULTIMATE
- SONOMA
Old 07-31-2004, 01:10 AM

i dont get asked if i want to install something.....

And i have something Java installed already on my PC.

(Java(TM) 2 runtime environment, standard edition 1.3.0_2)

Bastiaan
Old 07-31-2004, 01:47 AM

Location: Holland, MI - Osage Beach, MO - Rancho Palos Verdes, CA

I am guessing that you may run into some major copyright issues with the use of the Digidesign Logos (not to mention the name 'Pro Tools' in the URL). Even though the forum overlaps what is on the DUC essentially, the realtime chat is a very cool idea.
Old 08-02-2004, 09:08 PM

well I certainly would never try to sell anything, or make a profit, or associate myself with Digidesign in any way, it's more just a "Users of pro-tools" kind of "Fan site"

Like doing a fan page for your favorite band, with publicly released pictures and artwork, the second you try to sell anything, or associate yourself with the organization, you are in big trouble.

- MacStudio M1
- 16x16 HD i/o x 6
- PT ULTIMATE
- SONOMA
Old 08-03-2004, 08:45 AM

Just tried out the chat option on a pc that belongs to a really freaky network somewhere around here. So if there'd been any problem with your page this should have been the place to run into it.
As nothing like that happened I suppose it's all working fine, except that there was nobody else online. Good luck with it!
Walther

Metric Halo ULN8 3D Interface, NI Komplete Control S49 midikeyboard

Macbook Pro M1, 2.5 GHz 8 core CPU, 32 Gb RAM, 1Tb storage, Monterey 12.6.6. PT Ultimate 2023.6, UVI Falcon 3.0 + some soundbanks, Waves Platinum bundle, some free Melda plugz, Metric Halo/Make Believe plugz.
Old 08-03-2004, 09:29 AM

Quote:
I am guessing that you may run into some major copyright issues with the use of the Digidesign Logos (not to mention the name 'Pro Tools' in the URL). Even though the forum overlaps what is on the DUC essentially, the realtime chat is a very cool idea.
Gee I put a link on my website to the DUC. I used the DUC-logo for the link (look here to see what I mean). Anybody, maybe someone from Digidesign please tell me if this is allowed. I don't wanna get sewed for something like this, I'd eventually remove the logo and create another link. Heck if I get one vistor a month it is much so the copyright infringement matter is not much of a big deal but law is law. Am I putting my neck in a rope with this? Please tell me. Thanks,
Walther

Metric Halo ULN8 3D Interface, NI Komplete Control S49 midikeyboard

Macbook Pro M1, 2.5 GHz 8 core CPU, 32 Gb RAM, 1Tb storage, Monterey 12.6.6. PT Ultimate 2023.6, UVI Falcon 3.0 + some soundbanks, Waves Platinum bundle, some free Melda plugz, Metric Halo/Make Believe plugz.