Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2022, 01:41 PM

Default Pro Tools and Presonus Faderport

I'm picking up a used Faderport 16 tomorrow, to replace my ancient Command|8. I've enjoyed learning to use a control surface with PT the last couple of years, and together with SSL UC1 it's helped me mix better with less use of screen and mouse, more like we used to do 20+ years ago.

I'm hoping it will work as well as or better than commmand8. With more faders, maybe it will help with controlling plugins when I can see 16 parameters at once, and more info/characters on its LCD.

I've done my research, and I think I have it covered, that it will take the place of C8 pretty easily. Just posting this in case anyone has info or tips about anything I should be aware of. HUI still OK?

Last edited by Ben Jenssen; 05-22-2022 at 02:42 PM.
Old 05-22-2022, 02:02 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools and Presonus Faderport

ever check out V-Control by Neyrinck ?
https://neyrinck.com/v-control-pro/
Old 05-22-2022, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
I'm picking up a used Faderport 16 tomorrow, to replace my ancient Command|8. I've enjoyed learning to use a control surface with PT the last couple of years, and together with SSL UC1 it's helped me mix better with less use of screen and mouse, more like we used to 20+ years ago.

I'm hoping it will work as well as or better than commmand8. With more faders, maybe it will help with controlling plugins when I can see 16 parameters at once, and more info/characters on its LCD.

I've done my research, and I think I have it covered, that it will take the place of C8 pretty easily. Just posting this in case anyone has info or tips about anything I should be aware of. HUI still OK?
I have a Faderport 8 and original Faderport that I use with PT and Studio One. It works fine under HUI. Took me a while to getting used to the big knob to navigate around. Like anything eventually you develop a flow.
OWC Express 4M2 (4 X 2TB)
Interface: Presonus Quantum
Presonus Faderport & Faderport 8
Black Lion Sparrow Mk2 A/D, FMR-RNP-RNC, MIDI Xpress 128
BM5A, KRK VXT4, Equator D5
2020 Macbook Pro 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD Audio(mobile rig)
Old 05-22-2022, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweakhead View Post
ever check out V-Control by Neyrinck ?
https://neyrinck.com/v-control-pro/
No. But thanks for the suggestion.
After a quick look it doesn't seem like what I need. An application that lets me control some things from ipad or iphone? Even if it seems to be a kind of extention for my command8, the whole screen thing is not for me. I have trouble with motoric ability and small touch screens are the worst. I tried Avid Control, no go.

I need knobs and faders.
But thanks.
Old 05-22-2022, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradch00 View Post
I have a Faderport 8 and original Faderport that I use with PT and Studio One. It works fine under HUI. Took me a while to getting used to the big knob to navigate around. Like anything eventually you develop a flow.
Thank you.
Old 05-22-2022, 04:37 PM

Re neyrinck software, the single selling point for me is the bit where whatever function your mouse is hovering over, the faderport knob will control That's the only reason I am retiring my original faderport for the V2 model(though I am still miffed that they removed the buttons for selecting MIX/EDIT windows)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 05-22-2022, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Re neyrinck software, the single selling point for me is the bit where whatever function your mouse is hovering over, the faderport knob will control)
It's still staring at a screen, though, and one half of your hands occupied with controlling the mouse, the other on the knob. You might as well adjust with the mouse and have the other hand free. Less mouse and screen, more buttons and faders, that's what I seek, and have already found to a degree, with command8 and UC1.
Old 05-22-2022, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
I need knobs and faders.
I should have written V-Control Pro. (not the freebie for iPad)

That's what it does. Hardware control. That's why they have a picture of a Command 8, Pro Control, and Control 24 on the front page.
This software allowed me to get my Pro Control running with the latest version of Pro Tools. Fader, Mutes, Solos, Transport etc.
You only get a 4-character scribble strip in Pro Tools, but they have managed to get Logic working with an 8-character scribble strip.
Demo Video showing it with Studio One (you can use just about any DAW you can think of Cubase, Nuendo, Studio One, DP, etc):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8gQ4y9p6Vs

Pro Tools Expert Review:
https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/pro...o-v26-released

They have a demo right there on the Neyrinck website. Enter your iLok ID and they will send you a code. Try it and see if it does what you want.

Last edited by Tweakhead; 05-22-2022 at 06:52 PM.
Old 05-22-2022, 07:40 PM

I cannot edit my post above (I get a DUC error), so here's another correction :
I should written "V-Control Pro Bundle Full License". That's the one I got for $199 on sale, and I can use it with just about any DAW.
Neyrinck's website appears to be down right now according to downforeveryoneorjustme.com
Old 05-22-2022, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweakhead View Post
I should have written V-Control Pro. (not the freebie for iPad)

That's what it does. Hardware control. That's why they have a picture of a Command 8, Pro Control, and Control 24 on the front page.
This software allowed me to get my Pro Control running with the latest version of Pro Tools. Fader, Mutes, Solos, Transport etc.
Well the Command 8 is still supported by PT unlike the Pro Control. So V-Control doesn't apply here.

Ben the Command 8 is much more integrated and functional than HUI. And much greater fader resolution. But HUI can still get the job done. You should still be able to do a custom plugin map. It's still as functional as it ever was just with the same restrictions. Just like with C8 if you use Eucon you'll lose metering.