Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support


Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-02-2014, 08:16 PM
Smithtrax Smithtrax is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Muldrow, OK
Posts: 29
Default New MacPro & PT 11 beware...

Was really excited to get my new MacPro and was really looking forward to being able to use the new features of ProTools 11 but have become very discouraged at this point. The MacPro itself is a screamer and been very stable and have zero complaints about it but ProTools 11 is another story... Crashes all the time and with no warning. Was recording 3 live tracks on a new session with no plugins and it was about 3 minutes into the song and "gone!". Just closes right up and back to the finder screen. Was able to recover the tracks that were recorded and import them back into the session and punch and finish the song but it's things like that that happen all the time. Constantly sending reports to Avid all the time... Then other little things that consistently make it crash like copying settings from a plugin on an instrument or insert plugin and pasting it to another plugin and "crash". Then I have Pitch n Time Pro AAX 64 bit version that they just released and when I use it that is definitely guaranteed to crash PT11 within a minute or so after transposing or changing the speed of something. All said, AVID has their work cut out for themselves to get a stable product because they are definitely nowhere near there now. I am definitely not happy I made the transition this early in the game and I really hope they will be coming out with worthwile upgrades and fast! As for those of you that are thinking of making the jump, my suggestion is wait until they get it together!!!

MacPro 3.5 GHz 6-core 12MB L3 cache, 16 GB RAM, 512GB PCIe- based flash storage, 3TB Lacie Tbolt Drive, RME UFX Interface, MOTU MTP A/V, PT 11.1.2, OSX 10.9.1
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-02-2014, 08:25 PM
nst7 nst7 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Cincinnati OH
Posts: 9,811
Default Re: New MacPro & PT 11 beware...

Out of the few people that have the new Mac Pro, they are using it very successfully with PT11. This is the first I've heard of any problems.

I would try various troubleshooting methods. Hopefully you can get it sorted out.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-02-2014, 08:36 PM
Smithtrax Smithtrax is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Muldrow, OK
Posts: 29
Default Re: New MacPro & PT 11 beware...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
Out of the few people that have the new Mac Pro, they are using it very successfully with PT11. This is the first I've heard of any problems.

I would try various troubleshooting methods. Hopefully you can get it sorted out.
I have actually made every recommended setting as always that AVID says to do and still having the crash problems. Been using PT since version 4 so well aware of all the trouble shooting methods.. This one has me baffled. This is the most unstable ProTools I have ever used so this is why I felt the need to post...
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-02-2014, 08:38 PM
PMF Media PMF Media is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Adelaide Australia
Posts: 383
Default Re: New MacPro & PT 11 beware...

Ouch!!!! Not the news I was hoping for. I'm waiting on mine to arrive, anyone else have any news to share?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-02-2014, 08:54 PM
Seafoam_Green's Avatar
Seafoam_Green Seafoam_Green is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Qld - Australia (Ex Bali)
Posts: 795
Default Re: New MacPro & PT 11 beware...

its got my attention too , also planning on going down this road soon/eventually.

I'm frothing to hear more info all round on the new mac pro ,

..., especially on how many cores, ram, etc , will Pro Tools 11 make the most efficient use of - without spending unnecessary $$$ ..., as she's an expensive computer thats for sure
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-02-2014, 09:00 PM
Darryl Ramm Darryl Ramm is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 14,931
Default Re: New MacPro & PT 11 beware...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithtrax View Post
I have actually made every recommended setting as always that AVID says to do and still having the crash problems. Been using PT since version 4 so well aware of all the trouble shooting methods.. This one has me baffled. This is the most unstable ProTools I have ever used so this is why I felt the need to post...
So if Pro Tools is crashing what does the OS X crash report say? Post the full report here across multiple posts.

What third party plugins (if any) do you have installed? Did you try running Pro Tools 11 before any were installed?

What standard troubleshooting steps have you tried? Don't just say "all", that just becomes a pointless guessing game. Did you trash prefs/databases? Tried a new empty session? Removed all third party plugins? Reinstalled Pro Tools 11? What else?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-02-2014, 09:23 PM
Smithtrax Smithtrax is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Muldrow, OK
Posts: 29
Default Re: New MacPro & PT 11 beware...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
So if Pro Tools is crashing what does the OS X crash report say? Post the full report here across multiple posts.

What third party plugins (if any) do you have installed? Did you try running Pro Tools 11 before any were installed?

What standard troubleshooting steps have you tried? Don't just say "all", that just becomes a pointless guessing game. Did you trash prefs/databases? Tried a new empty session? Removed all third party plugins? Reinstalled Pro Tools 11? What else?
I do have the Waves Mercury Bundle, Metric Halo ChannelStrip, Autotune 7, Choir Evo, Duo Evo, Spectrasonics Omnisphere, Trillian, Stylus RMX, NI Session Strings, Session Horns, Alicia's Keys, Vintage Organs, and the complete A.I.R. Instruments bundle. As far as trouble shooting, I did remove the instrument AAX plugins from the plugins folder as well as the Waves and Antares plugs and ran PT without them and still had crashes. I did trash prefs and databases as well and still had the crashes. I spent pretty much a whole day on this trying to chase down the problem and get the machine stable enough for my session arriving the following day...
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-02-2014, 09:35 PM
Darryl Ramm Darryl Ramm is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 14,931
Default Re: New MacPro & PT 11 beware...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithtrax View Post
I do have the Waves Mercury Bundle, Metric Halo ChannelStrip, Autotune 7, Choir Evo, Duo Evo, Spectrasonics Omnisphere, Trillian, Stylus RMX, NI Session Strings, Session Horns, Alicia's Keys, Vintage Organs, and the complete A.I.R. Instruments bundle. As far as trouble shooting, I did remove the instrument AAX plugins from the plugins folder as well as the Waves and Antares plugs and ran PT without them and still had crashes. I did trash prefs and databases as well and still had the crashes. I spent pretty much a whole day on this trying to chase down the problem and get the machine stable enough for my session arriving the following day...
Well problem are always most likely to be plugins so remover every last third party one out. That should be the first plugin troubleshooting step. if it helps then you have more work to do, if not, not good. This should not take very long to at least see how removing all third party plugins work.

Always suspect plugins, and of that list of plugins there are several there including from Spectrasonics that have been apparently causing Pro Tools 11 crashes recently.

If still stuck try a full Pro Tools reinstall. And test it with absolutely no third party plugins installed before you do anything else.

Where are the OS X crash report(s)? Console.app, User reports section...
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-02-2014, 09:53 PM
Smithtrax Smithtrax is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Muldrow, OK
Posts: 29
Default Re: New MacPro & PT 11 beware...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Well problem are always most likely to be plugins so remover every last third party one out. That should be the first plugin troubleshooting step. if it helps then you have more work to do, if not, not good. This should not take very long to at least see how removing all third party plugins work.

Always suspect plugins, and of that list of plugins there are several there including from Spectrasonics that have been apparently causing Pro Tools 11 crashes recently.

If still stuck try a full Pro Tools reinstall. And test it with absolutely no third party plugins installed before you do anything else.

Where are the OS X crash report(s)? Console.app, User reports section...
Unfortunately I am not savvy with Console and would not know how to generate the crash reports. It doesn't crash the system, just PTools and I am not at the studio at this time.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-02-2014, 11:58 PM
PMF Media PMF Media is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Adelaide Australia
Posts: 383
Default Re: New MacPro & PT 11 beware...

Really would be worth doing this, there are a couple of guys on this forum particularly adept at deciphering UNIX command line stuff and Darryl is one! Pretty straight forward, just jump into your Applications folder, then the Utilities Folder and find the Console.app, double click and once open you'll see a "User Diagnostic Reports" header in the side bar on the left, click on the arrow and in the drop down you should find "Pro Tools_(todays date)_machine name etc... click on that then copy and paste the gibberish and hopefully it can shed some light on what's causing the MP to crash PT. I'm real interested as I ordered one of these beasties back in December and it's due to be delivered any day now.
Be good to shed some light
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Serious PT 11 bug, beware TimNielsen macOS 14 11-20-2013 05:18 PM
Using carbon copy to move from macpro to a newer Macpro fourthtunz Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) 2 04-10-2012 02:39 PM
BEWARE: PCIe Shipping in MacPro!!!! RobMacki Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) 17 12-23-2006 07:07 PM
Beware of DUY RonB 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) 9 03-03-2006 02:17 PM
Buyers Beware ... lemix 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) 11 01-08-2006 05:18 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:52 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited. Forum Hosted By: URLJet.com