Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 05-12-2014, 03:49 PM

Default Re: 11.1.3 is out - an end to PT 11 video problems?

what i have found in my very limited time actually working in 11 are sluggish starts and stops (deal breaker as an editor i start and stop 4 times a minute!). I am also getting out of memory errors? (activity monitor shows normal but the errors still come) and cpu dea stop errors.

I know I know check my plug ins folder and go through a check list of things to get it to work. Sorry no.

Avid, make the software. 11 better work before you release 12.
Old 05-12-2014, 04:12 PM

On this board it was noted that AVID considered this delay between play and transport actually moving to be a "feature".

If so then why was the feature not designed into PT10? I get near instant playback from PT10.3.8HD even with video satellite LE. Obviously with Blackmagic hardware.

If I am nudging ADR and breaths/vox around I'm hitting the spacebar at least every 10 seconds, I lose about 10 seconds of each minute waiting for PT11.1.3 HD to play.

Just asking as if it's a feature (yes I'm using the lowest playback delay setting of 1) then I hope that we could "disable" the feature somewhere in the prefs ;-)

But stability seems to have been achieved and the disconnects don;t seem to be happening for me. Now AVID make it snappy like the PT10HD picture experience.
Old 05-12-2014, 04:28 PM

oh they consider that a feature? lmao. One what planet do the people live that wanted that?
Old 05-12-2014, 05:57 PM

Building a rig that has a new Mac Pro 6,1, Sonnet Echo IIIR, HDX with BM 4K Extreme. PT11.1.3HD, OSX 10.9.2. BM driver is 9.7.7
QT7 is installed.
Getting jump back 1 frm after stop, but no black flashes or disconnects.
Tried DV25 MXF, H264 QT (I know, only for kitten videos), DNX HD QT and all seem to be fine. Left it looping for 12 hours with no issues.
Pause on play is no more than I would have seen using a Mojo SDI. I wish it was instant, but it's not taking eons like some other users are finding.
Would like to try it with PT10.3.9HD but the uninstall might be cumbersome.

Last edited by Buccanears; 05-12-2014 at 05:58 PM. Reason: poor spelling and general lack of coffee.
Old 05-12-2014, 06:24 PM

well i need instant playback. Im not going to be late to dinner for amazing new features. Nothing is that amazing
Old 05-13-2014, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray JB View Post
On this board it was noted that AVID considered this delay between play and transport actually moving to be a "feature".

If so then why was the feature not designed into PT10? I get near instant playback from PT10.3.8HD even with video satellite LE. Obviously with Blackmagic hardware.

If I am nudging ADR and breaths/vox around I'm hitting the spacebar at least every 10 seconds, I lose about 10 seconds of each minute waiting for PT11.1.3 HD to play.

Just asking as if it's a feature (yes I'm using the lowest playback delay setting of 1) then I hope that we could "disable" the feature somewhere in the prefs ;-)

But stability seems to have been achieved and the disconnects don;t seem to be happening for me. Now AVID make it snappy like the PT10HD picture experience.
on my system the delay is around 0.5 seconds (not exactly but much less than one second for sure). not that it helps in any way. on the MC the delay between hitting the play key and the movie playing is and has always been much worse than it was on PT till 11 came out so it could be part of how the AVE works.

But then: Under 11 I have gotten my sync down to +- 3ms with a combination of delay in my console and video-sync offset in PT (only does full frames on a gen-locked system).
And under 10 it sometimes took me 2 hours to bounce out one reel because of all the memory related crashes.

Personally for me the play lag is something that used to be better and it feels weird yes. Would I want to trade it for any of the memory-related issues I had under 10 for a decade and the rubbery sync? Surely not.

The main thing that bugs me is the laggy nudging and selecting which can drive you nuts when you try to spot fx in sequences with fast cuts.

There's still definitely room for improvement. With 11.1.3 PT11 has become usable for the first time. Offline bounce is still weird and there are a couple of ADC issues but by all means I wouldn't go back to 10 and deal with those crashes all the time. One eye on the system monitor and restarts every hour when the memory meter reached 3.7GB? No thanks.

Your personal milage and priorities might vary but the way I work the time lost under 10 for the mentioned issues outweigh the savings under 11 by far. I have 9 reels in my work-session (200+ fx) and sometimes as many as 18 reels when I conformalize and that includes monster-clipgroups. This is unthinkable under 10 or prior versions.

Having said that the laggy selecting and nudging under 11 with BM cards is still is a big annoyance. No question about that. They definitely need to get that fixed.

Frank.

Last edited by Frank Kruse; 05-28-2014 at 03:37 AM.
Old 05-14-2014, 05:16 PM

What's the verdict on the AJA interfaces? I'm thinking of getting the thunderbolt one...
Old 05-15-2014, 10:12 AM

So just to add my comments here....I've on MacOS 10.9.2, PT 11.1.3 HDX, running on a new MacPro, a SonnetTech TB Chassis, and a Black Magic Intensity card, with 10.1 drivers.

Things DO seem better, but I do occasionally run into errors when trying to play video, even if the session worked just fine before. Problems do seem to be less, but not gone away.

Quitting PT(not re-starting the computer) seems to solve the problem every time. I do get a lot of "waiting on the AVE to quit" message(or something similar...), so it's not 100% fixed yet... Better, yes. Fixed, no.
Old 05-15-2014, 12:11 PM

Running HDX2, with PT11.1.3 on OS 10.8.5 I see all the issues mentioned in this thread. Installed Blackmagic 9.7.7 as mentioned and the black frames went away. Still it's certainly not perfect.
I was thinking of running a PT video satellite on my laptop, with PT 10.3.9 to work around the issues, but Video Satellite seems to be broken. I have PT11 compatibility selected on the PT10.3.9. The PT systems see each other in satellite, but the PT10.3.9 doesn't follow selections, nor does it go into play as slave. Then I tried PT11.1.3 on the laptop and satellite also didn't work????
I've done this numerous times in PT10 days. What's up with this.

The docs are a bit confusing. I read that for syncing PT10 an 11, one should stay with PT11.0.2 or 11.0.3, but of course those versions have other bugs.

Next thing I will try if time permitted is a MC7 in satellite, but what are others doing here for mixing PT10 and 11 satellites?

Greetings,
Old 05-19-2014, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoorevich View Post
I am very pesimistic that I will ever use PT 11 in my workflow.
Probably Avid will launch a revolutionary new PT v12 soon and ask us for another revolutionary $600 for the revolutionary AVE 2 upgrade...
thats silly