Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 05-15-2014, 11:58 AM

Default Re: Dolby Atmos andor Aurora 3D in a small theater

It's hard to say. A room that size might be OK for Auro-3D (depending on what your'e doing), certainly wouldn't need as many speakers as we have. QSC are nice, but we use Meyer here with the QSC Qsys as the monitoring matirx/switcher and EQ/delay for the surrounds. I wouldn't expect to be able to charge more money for offering Auro-3D, but if it's a value added service that potential clients can use then it might be worth it.
Old 05-19-2014, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vudoo View Post
Anyone here have installed and first hand experience with this fairly new format ???…Dr.Sound :)

1- Pro and cons between Dolby Atmos and Barco Aurora 3D
2- We installed a QSC sound system in our other theater and was about to go with QSC. The people at Meyer is knocking at our door with some pretty interesting proposition. Anyone care to chime in ? as i don't have any first hand experience with Meyer.

thx
I was in the same position recently when building my room luckily I worked for 3 years on Meyers speakers - I used a couple of their systems at fox and wildfire stages - I don't like how they translate to theatres, and they are bright on top, and after a few hours on them the really hurt the ears. BTW love the Q-SYS system. Just my 2 cents.
Old 05-19-2014, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekvh View Post
I was in the same position recently when building my room luckily I worked for 3 years on Meyers speakers - I used a couple of their systems at fox and wildfire stages - I don't like how they translate to theatres, and they are bright on top, and after a few hours on them the really hurt the ears. BTW love the Q-SYS system. Just my 2 cents.
Hah, pretty funny! We're actually finding quite the opposite with the Meyers! They translate really well, we've done screenings at various theaters including The Chinese Theater in Hollywood, and a couple different ArcLight theaters as well. As far as being bright and hurting ears, there must have been something wrong with the way the rooms were set up, as we are finding the opposite with our system. They're pretty close to within SMPTE spec right of the box when projecting through a micro perf screen (therefore needing less EQ), and we've found them far less fatiguing than the JBL's we've used in the past (a lot more linear at different levels and a lot less distortion).
Old 05-19-2014, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjguitar View Post
Hah, pretty funny! We're actually finding quite the opposite with the Meyers! They translate really well, we've done screenings at various theaters including The Chinese Theater in Hollywood, and a couple different ArcLight theaters as well. As far as being bright and hurting ears, there must have been something wrong with the way the rooms were set up, as we are finding the opposite with our system. They're pretty close to within SMPTE spec right of the box when projecting through a micro perf screen (therefore needing less EQ), and we've found them far less fatiguing than the JBL's we've used in the past (a lot more linear at different levels and a lot less distortion).
Im sure after spending all that money they are the best speakers you have ever heard. My 11.000.00 bike is the best bike in the world. We can't really have that discussion i would be biased as well. All the stages were set up and tuned by Meyers, and dolby was involved as well. I honestly don't mean to offend, I am just offering up my experience and If given to me I still would opt for other speakers. BTW I've heard the translation in well over 30 theaters.
Old 05-19-2014, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekvh View Post
Im sure after spending all that money they are the best speakers you have ever heard.
That's right, they are… but then again, I didn't spend any of my money on them, so what do I care. Don't trust my word for it, talk to anyone who has been in our room and heard it for themselves, whether it be clients or others here on the DUC, it's among the best sounding rooms in town without a doubt.
Old 05-19-2014, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjguitar View Post
That's right, they are… but then again, I didn't spend any of my money on them, so what do I care. Don't trust my word for it, talk to anyone who has been in our room and heard it for themselves, whether it be clients or others here on the DUC, it's among the best sounding rooms in town without a doubt.
ok
Old 05-19-2014, 09:24 PM

Derek,
Your room:
http://www.summitpostsound.com

I like what you attempting to do and I understand your
budget in building your room. You have always been a guy
who marches to his own beat and likewise I don't follow anyone
in Hollywood and do things my way.
I would suggest that you contact me at "The Dub Stage"
so that I can play you some material for as Chris said above
it is an amazing sounding room that does translate, and we have zero issues
as you mentioned with the "top end of the Meyers".

We all make choices and best of all clients like my choices and keep
Chris and I very busy.
IMDB http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0401937/
Like everything in life, there are no guarantees just opportunities.
Old 05-20-2014, 08:49 AM

thanks marti and boy do you have a way with words