Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2014, 07:05 AM

Default Re: New MacPro & PT 11 beware...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMF Media View Post
Really would be worth doing this, there are a couple of guys on this forum particularly adept at deciphering UNIX command line stuff and Darryl is one! Pretty straight forward, just jump into your Applications folder, then the Utilities Folder and find the Console.app, double click and once open you'll see a "User Diagnostic Reports" header in the side bar on the left, click on the arrow and in the drop down you should find "Pro Tools_(todays date)_machine name etc... click on that then copy and paste the gibberish and hopefully it can shed some light on what's causing the MP to crash PT. I'm real interested as I ordered one of these beasties back in December and it's due to be delivered any day now.
Be good to shed some light
Okay, I am at my computer and did what you suggested and the only thing showing under the User Diagnostic Reports header is nothing related to AVID or ProTools. But further poking around I see the Files tab and ~/Library/Logs there is a Folder with Avid/Crashlog and 74 logs of me crashing. Every one of the logs are in complete jibberish....not so sure it would help your code guy... Every time I crash it sends a report straight to Avid unless it is a hard crash and shoots me straight to the finder. Most of the time it crashes and asks me if I want to send a report to Avid and I do because I want the problem fixed. If I was to copy one of these and paste it into a post not so sure it would take it it is so big...
Old 02-03-2014, 07:14 AM

The first order of business is to isolate the issue.

Remove all 3rd party plugs and do tests. Adding them back one at a time as Darryl said.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 02-03-2014, 07:53 AM

since it's not qualified - no it's not going to work.

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...pple-Computers

FWIW Pro Tools 11 does not even work properly as it is toady on qualified machines!
Pro Tools 11 is a nightmare of bugs and work arounds and features that do not work as advertised as a client told me the the other day maybe Avid should should four on a stable product rather than releasing new versions that don't work properly.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:01 AM

Default New MacPro & PT 11 beware...

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberts View Post
since it's not qualified - no it's not going to work.

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...pple-Computers

FWIW Pro Tools 11 does not even work properly as it is toady on qualified machines!
Pro Tools 11 is a nightmare of bugs and work arounds and features that do not work as advertised as a client told me the the other day maybe Avid should should four on a stable product rather than releasing new versions that don't work properly.

That is just incorrect. Pro Tools does not only run properly on "qualified" computers. They can be a guide to what to run on but Avid can barely keep up with new computer models. More useful information about what actually works well is found from user experiences in DUC.

Pro Tools 11 is working fine for many users, it seems to have some issues like crashing on exit problems but _some_ of those seem plugin related, and maybe several other inconveniences and issues that users have pointed out. What is needed in every case is to follow fairly standard troubleshooting steps, if folks want help here on DUC from other uses you really need to communicate exactly what your setup is and what troubleshooting steps you have tried. "The sky is falling" does not help anybody.

Pro Tools 11 contains massive engineering changes with a new audio engine, new 64 bit memory model and new AAX-64 plugins (some of which may be completely new, some ports from AAX-32). So there *are* going to be problems. Including a much higher risk of all these new plugins causing instability, so more reason to suspect plugins causing problems than usual. And the best way to *prove* the problem is in Pro Tools, not a plugin, is to physically remove all third party plugins.

Sending automatic crash reports into Avid is great, and likely the best way to get any bugs causing crashes within Pro Tools 11 to be addressed by Avid, and I hope Avid also uses those reports to help third party plugin vendors. But if you suspect a plugin take that up first with the plugin vendor. And if stuck after doing the usual troubleshooting found on DUC, and especially if it is affecting your business, pick up the phone and call Avid support, it amazes me how long some folks will suffer with problems and complain about things and they never do that.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 02-03-2014 at 03:14 PM.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithtrax View Post
Okay, I am at my computer and did what you suggested and the only thing showing under the User Diagnostic Reports header is nothing related to AVID or ProTools. But further poking around I see the Files tab and ~/Library/Logs there is a Folder with Avid/Crashlog and 74 logs of me crashing. Every one of the logs are in complete jibberish....not so sure it would help your code guy... Every time I crash it sends a report straight to Avid unless it is a hard crash and shoots me straight to the finder. Most of the time it crashes and asks me if I want to send a report to Avid and I do because I want the problem fixed. If I was to copy one of these and paste it into a post not so sure it would take it it is so big...

Mmm well that is not good news. The reports you are seeing are not what I was after. They should be the minidump reports from Google Breakpad. Avid (smartly) started using Google's Breakpad crash reporting system in Pro Tools 11 as a standard crash reporter on Windows and Mac. It should be possible for Breakpad to coexist with native OS X crash reporter, but if not setup to do this by the developer OS X crash reporter may never see the crash, and so the usual crash report in the console won't appear. I hope that is not what is happening here as it will be a pain in the ass for many people trying to troubleshoot things--but it is great you are sending the Breakpad minidump reports directly to Avid.

I am not sure what is happening with your "hard crashes" it may be a problem where breakpad is not correctly catching a crash. I would hope in those cases OS X catches it, but that might not happen. Those are pretty nasty problems for developers to debug. And sometimes those sort of "crashes" are actually not a crash, but a programming error where the application is just confused and intentionally exits.

Anyhow your first troubleshooting steps are obvious, remove all third party plugins, if that does not work then try a reinstall of Pro Tools 11 (with no third party plugins).

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 02-03-2014 at 03:16 PM.
Old 02-03-2014, 02:23 PM

? May or not be.
v1.6.49190 latest Motu MIDI driver
Old 02-03-2014, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithtrax View Post
I have actually made every recommended setting as always that AVID says to do and still having the crash problems. Been using PT since version 4 so well aware of all the trouble shooting methods.. This one has me baffled. This is the most unstable ProTools I have ever used so this is why I felt the need to post...
seriously dont spend that kind of money and put in 16 gig of ram - my watch cant run on 16 gig of ram, how can the new mac pro with protools?
Old 02-03-2014, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekvh View Post
seriously dont spend that kind of money and put in 16 gig of ram - my watch cant run on 16 gig of ram, how can the new mac pro with protools?
The problem as described will have nothing to do with this system having 16GB of memory. And which may be a completely fine amount of memory for whatever the user is doing.
Old 02-03-2014, 11:32 PM

I am running 8 Gb in my macbook pro and I can run a lot of things without even reaching 50% of memory ... all my plugins with libraries also
macOS 14.4.1
Pro Tools 2024.3.1
Logic Pro X
Reason 12

UA Apollo 8p
Apogee Thunderbridge/Apogee Symphony I/O 2x6
Eleven Rack/Focusrite ISA Two/Onyx 1640i
UAD Satellite Quad
MOOG Mother 32
Nektar Panorama P1
Axiom AIR 49/Axiom 49/Yamaha P35
Fender Mustang/Marshall Amp/Ibanez Pedals/Fender Strat/Yamaha FG820L/Martin DJr10e
Genelec 8040b/Yamaha HS80s/M-Audio BX5a
Beats Solo/Shure SRH1840/Slate VMS

https://open.spotify.com/artist/7KfV..._branch=1&nd=1
Old 02-06-2014, 10:55 PM

Wow, I have not encompassed any of these issues, even with multiple tracks of audio. On Mac Pro 6 core, HDX, 64gig ram, HD IO, Burl IO, PT 11, all 64 though, have Sonnet Chassis, AAX native and DSP. Things have been so smooth I can' t believe it. Even VEP5 and VI's.