Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 12-06-2013, 02:07 PM

Default PT11 First Feature

Hi All,

I want to make the transition to PT11 for my next feature. The plugins I need are there now, but there are still a few little niggles and I wonder if anyone has any workarounds?

1. On opening a session I have to wait one or 2 minutes for the Avid Video Engine to initialise. Why does this take so long? I'm using a Blackmagic studio card and I've tried different codecs, DNXhd, pro res but no difference.
Any way to make this initialize quicker?

2. When hiding and showing PT11, the desktop video window pops up every time I go back to PT. I don't even need the desktop window, is there a way to suppress that?

3. Every time I open PT11, it asks to allow or deny internet access, even though I have the firewall prefs set to block access. It does it whether I have them set to block or allow??!!

4. After a long editing session PT11 will hang on quit and have to be force quit. I think I read elsewhere that this is a known bug. Not a biggie.

5. Obviously you still can't import OMF's over a few mb in size. I sincerely hope we see a fix for this asap!

I'm using PT11.02. HDX1 on mac pro 6 core, osx 10.8.4.

Anybody else having these issues, apart from the OMF thing?

I have to say apart from these PT11 is great, very snappy and I can't wait not to have to worry about the dreaded out of memory crash on massive sessions.

Thanks

Martin
Old 12-06-2013, 07:22 PM

Default Re: PT11 First Feature

From my experience, PT11 is simply not stable enough to rely on for a feature on my system (2008 8 core Mac Pro). The fans run higher and the video engine is a lot less stable and responsive than PT10 with my Blackmagic Intensity Pro.
Old 12-07-2013, 06:58 AM

Thanks Nate,

I know what you mean, the scrub and +- frames seems more sluggish than on PT10. I need to do more testing to fully confirm that but that's my initial impression. Also slightly more delay before video starts playing.
Pro Res and Avids codec seem to be the best for the BM cards.

Maybe its a BM driver thing?

I'm just constantly hitting the memory wall on Features and it would be great to get past that.
Old 12-07-2013, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesehead View Post
Pro Res and Avids codec seem to be the best for the BM cards.
On PC's with Black Magic cards here I find using DNxHD video files (from a video only consolidate) or a video mixdown from MC / Symphony with the files created and indexed by MC into an Avid MediaFiles\MXF\1 folder at the root level of the drive work better with PT11 than any video formats I have used with previous version of Protools.
Disclaimer the video editing is in the same building and I can influence / control what the video editor outputs. (The video rooms all have an "Output video for Protools" workflow sheet.)

Andrew
Old 12-07-2013, 08:49 PM

[QUOTE=Cheesehead;2108900]Hi All,

I want to make the transition to PT11 for my next feature. The plugins I need are there now, but there are still a few little niggles and I wonder if anyone has any workarounds?

Hey Martin. I've been putting 11 thru the paces for the past week, and it's incredibly unstable. Video has issues, after 20 minutes or so I'm unable to save my session, or backups, pts freezes, and I can't force quit and have to do a hard restart, when conforming and grabbing session to end, and trying to nudge the regions by a frame it can take up to a minute each nudge, and the list of problems goes on and on. I switched back to vs10 today. It's going to be awesome once they get it stable but I'm afraid it's a long way off. Let the music guys with only 100 or less tracks flush it out for us.
Old 12-08-2013, 12:11 AM

I find scrubbing and spotting FX painful with the new video engine, and this is with relatively simple sessions.
The frame rate is painfully poor.
Old 12-08-2013, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Hoffman View Post
From my experience, PT11 is simply not stable enough to rely on for a feature on my system (2008 8 core Mac Pro). The fans run higher and the video engine is a lot less stable and responsive than PT10 with my Blackmagic Intensity Pro.

I just finished a sci-fi feature on PT 11.02. I maxed out the HDX DSP, used all 256 voices, on an 8 core 2.26 Mac Pro (8 years old), and ran 1920X1080 Pro-Res video and Avid codec -all reels in the same session including video - all in the same computer. I also have the Blackmagic Decklink 3d Xtreme card. The system crashed 6 times in 35 days of work, I kept track of the crashes because it was my first feature in PT 11. Most crashes appeared to be related to Eucon and also a few of my sfx files importing incorrectly. I did not have one single crash for memory problems. Under my HD TDM 2 accel, my system used to crash every 4 hours because of memory problems.

For me PT 11 with HDX 1, even running on a 9 year old Mac, is so much more stable, powerful, responsive, faster to boot, and overall reliable than my old TDM.

There are some bad things, like OMF not working (which is ridiculous and should be fixed asap), not enough aax dsp plugs (especially quality reverbs and effects), some graphics display errors that I see when editing sample level, and for me, I get video error if I am switching complex window configs via Eucon at the same time that I initiate playback. While Eucon is switching windows, video stops playing and reports and error (just click ok and everything goes back to normal). Lastly, I am still trying to get my head around the ADC on a complex busing scheme, as I am also routing to record in tracks in 5/1 the DX, SFX,and Music stems.
Old 12-08-2013, 04:37 PM

Thanks for the replies guys.

A mixed bag!

I'm mostly using PT11 now, but I just went back to PT10 for a test and I couldn't believe how much more responsive the video was when scrolling through and spotting FX on exactly the same session.
Startup speed on play and refresh when randomly clicking around the timeline also noticeably faster.

Makes me wonder why they bothered with the Avid video engine?
Surely if it aint broke don't fix it.
Hopefully it will be tweaked in a future release, but although its useable, its not nearly so much fun as in PT10.

Thanks Garnoil it gives me hope. Maybe I'll stay in 10 for FX spotting and transfer to 11 when the memory problems kick in.
All my plugs are in 11 now. Altiverb, Vocalign and Cedar were the last ones.

Best

Martin.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnoil View Post
I-. The system crashed 6 times in 35 days of work, I kept track of the crashes because it was my first feature in PT 11. Most crashes appeared to be related to Eucon and also a few of my sfx files importing incorrectly. I did not have one single crash for memory problems. Under my HD TDM 2 accel, my system used to crash every 4 hours because of memory problems.

wow that really sucks..

following this thread with interest.. I have a creaky old mac too :)

I jus did a feature in 10 - only problem I had were a few crashes over a month.. and about million instances of having to deactivate then activate tracks..

I'm also simultaneously doin a 52 part series in DP7 - I have to say it hasnt crashed once in 35 days of work..

I do prefer editing in Protools tho... but with 52X 22 mins of Mix and D M E to output.. something needs to be done before I can do those shows in PT.. altho I am considering spotting in Protools - export OMF an mix in DP9