Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2013, 07:29 PM

Default Mbox 3 Help!!

Hello every one, first time poster here...

I've had my mbox 3 for about 3 years and lately I'm not getting any signal. The gains are up, phantom is on, 'rear' is selected but im not getting the signal light to flash on the control panel. When i start up PT and try to set an input on a channel Input 1 and Input 2 dont even come up as options. I'm not getting any signal from the line inputs either. I've updated the drivers, mic cables and mics have been tested.

I'm thinking it may be an issue w the pre amps? But i dont know why both of the pre amps wouldn't be working.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. I've scoured the internet and found nothing.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:42 PM

Default Re: Mbox 3 Help!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_ View Post
Hello every one, first time poster here...

I've had my mbox 3 for about 3 years and lately I'm not getting any signal. The gains are up, phantom is on, 'rear' is selected but im not getting the signal light to flash on the control panel. When i start up PT and try to set an input on a channel Input 1 and Input 2 dont even come up as options. I'm not getting any signal from the line inputs either. I've updated the drivers, mic cables and mics have been tested.

I'm thinking it may be an issue w the pre amps? But i dont know why both of the pre amps wouldn't be working.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. I've scoured the internet and found nothing.
Hi

Welcome to the Forum

Have you tried to set the i/o setting routes to "Default". Goto setup - i/o and press default on ALL ins and outs aswell as aux ect and restart.

Also make sure that you have the MBox selected as the interface and you can start Pro Tools with the N key held down until you get the option to choose the MBox 3 as your interface.

Best Regards
Chris

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 09-30-2013, 07:55 PM

Chris, thanks for the welcome and response!

i've set all the I/O settings to default and still nothing.
When i go to the "mic preamps" tab under I/O settings Avid Mbox is listed but there are no inputs listed. And on the "inputs' tab under I/O settings Input one and S/PDIF are listed but input 2 is not.
Any ideas?
Old 09-30-2013, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Chris, thanks for the welcome and response!

i've set all the I/O settings to default and still nothing.
When i go to the "mic preamps" tab under I/O settings Avid Mbox is listed but there are no inputs listed. And on the "inputs' tab under I/O settings Input one and S/PDIF are listed but input 2 is not.
Any ideas?
Did this problem just occur without you doing anything with the gear? No updates or installations or something that might be the culprit?

As we don't have an Mbox nor owned one I am quite unsure about this but if I had this problem in our studio I would reinstall both the Mbox and Pro Tools and delete preferences and databases aswell as DAE folder and see if that makes the MBox come alive

I guess you have tried to put an instrument or mic directly into the box and see if the meters move? Don't know if that works but worth a try if applicable.

Also make sure you have the absolute latest versions of Pro Tools and MBox3 drivers installed. I would do a complete reinstall even though it is a PITA but since you seem to have done all the other things thats what we would do. And of course as I said delete all the stuff that is explained here :

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=300050

Post back if you get anywhere and also there might be others here who knows about this and uses the Mbox series ..

Best Regards
Chris

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 09-30-2013, 08:07 PM

Ya i was really hoping to avoid the painstaking uninstall/reinstall process..haha But i think you're right, it's the next logical step.
I have tried the instrument input and still gotten nothing from the signal/clip light on the mbox nor did i get signal into pt.

i'll try the uninstall and see what happens. fingers crossed!

Thanks again Chris.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Ya i was really hoping to avoid the painstaking uninstall/reinstall process..haha But i think you're right, it's the next logical step.
I have tried the instrument input and still gotten nothing from the signal/clip light on the mbox nor did i get signal into pt.

i'll try the uninstall and see what happens. fingers crossed!

Thanks again Chris.
I know it sux bigtime but don't forget to delete all the prefs databases and dae etc after uninstalling before you reinstall again.

Best of luck
Chris

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 09-30-2013, 09:30 PM

Ok here's the update, so i did the uninstall/install process. Wasnt near as bad as i thought it would be.
I was able to fix the IO settings so now analog one and two are both input options. Im still not getting any signal on the control panel of the mbox interface BUT when i record into pt im getting a very faint signal. I wasnt getting anything before. Phantom is on, pads are off and the gains are cranked but still the signal is very very weak.

Could i have accidentally flubbed a setting and bypassed the mbox pre amp?