Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2008, 12:46 PM

Default Mp3 not working in Music Prod Toolkit?

I would like to go on a rant about how difficult it was to install and authorize the Music Production Toolkit (problems with Ilok not being online for 18hrs, Tlspace not being in the download, long calls to Tech, etc) but I’ll spare you of all that. Besides I know I’ll get several remarks from people saying how easy it was for them! (what can I say, I’m old-school) But after several hours and a knot on the back of my neck, I’ve think it’s all there…That is except for bouncing to Mp3. PT seems to have imported an Mp3-CD with no problem but when I select the Mp3 option to bounce to disk a pop-up windows tells me my trial period may have ended. Can anyone tell me if this needs to have a separate license or what the problem may be?
Thanks

BTW, I've done a search and there are several people who have had the same experience but no real solution, does that tell you something Digi?
ver7.4.1cs3
Old 03-06-2008, 02:32 PM

Default Re: Mp3 not working in Music Prod Toolkit?

Read this FAQ page, specifically the part that says "When I try to authorise MP3 option I still get the MP3 demo window saying it has expired."

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 03-06-2008, 03:38 PM

My MPT contained a card with a serial code for the MP3 option. Authorised without a hitch.
Old 03-06-2008, 06:43 PM

I gotta agree with rqstudio here....the same thing is happening to me...the thought of having to uninstall and reinstall PT just to get the MP3 option working scares the heck out of me. I'd be cool with doing a reinstall with any other program.... but as far as PT is concerned, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!!

No other software I own makes me as nervous! That being said, I still love the Ptools...can't help it it...it's like an old shoe...
Old 03-06-2008, 06:52 PM

You don't have to un-install and re-install, you just have to re-run the installation program, and make sure the MP3 Option is checked (along with all of the other items you need, such as Pro Tools).

Or you could just not do that, and live with not being able to use something you paid for...

Or you could hire a pro to install it for you.

Pro Tools really is one of the most finicky programs around, but that's not going to change anytime in the near future (hasn't in the 5 years I've been using it, no matter how many people... including myself... complained about it), so it's something we are all going to have to deal with.

The procedure explained in the link would be the correct one.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 03-06-2008, 08:46 PM

Quote:
You don't have to un-install and re-install, you just have to re-run the installation program, and make sure the MP3 Option is checked (along with all of the other items you need, such as Pro Tools).

Or you could just not do that, and live with not being able to use something you paid for...

Or you could hire a pro to install it for you.

Pro Tools really is one of the most finicky programs around, but that's not going to change anytime in the near future (hasn't in the 5 years I've been using it, no matter how many people... including myself... complained about it), so it's something we are all going to have to deal with.

The procedure explained in the link would be the correct one.
Thanks, but I kind of take offense to the "hire a pro" and disagree with "finicky" comments. I did have the option during the re-install process on my laptop but didn't have that luxury with my control rm PC so I did have to un-install and then re-install 7.4 then update to cs3 on that puter. To add insult to injury, Digi has changed the link to the Digi Store so I had to manually search for it and look up my log-on and password. All being said it took about 4 hours (not even counting the 18 hours the Ilok web site was down) to install MPT, TLspace and Mp3 on two computers. I would be more inclined to blame it on Digi's lazy coding.
Old 03-07-2008, 05:50 AM

Hey spkguitar...when I re-run the installation program it prompts me to uninstall any previous versions of PT. As far as I know, I'd have to uninstall / reinstall PT7, or find all my 7.x updates and reinstall those. It just seems like a pain...and I can't afford any downtime...

I guess what I was trying to get across is that I feel rqstudio's pain....I dropped 500 bucks for the MP toolkit and everything loaded/authorized no problem...except for the MP3 option...it can be frustrating sometimes. My fist inclination while loading the Toolkit was "this just ain't gonna work". I was actually surprised that it did, but not too surprised when I found out that the MP3 option didn't work. Again..I don't have these kind of feelings with any other piece of software or gear I own...but I have learned to live with PT's finicky nature. It's like having a really cool vintage sports car...when it's working you're in Heaven, but when it needs another repair you curse the day you bought it!
Old 03-07-2008, 12:48 PM

Thats what I'm talking about, for $500 bucks you should be up and running again, max 20 or 30 minutes! I guess I can understand the fact that I didn't choose the Mp3 option when I originally installed PT, but the new Mp3 install should automatically override some decision you made several years ago. And Jaxman, you mean to tell me TLspace verb was in your MPToolkit? I had to jump through a hoop for that also! Well enough said, I'm gonna go play with my new toys..and BTW it doesn't take a pro, just someone with a lot of time and patients.
Old 03-07-2008, 12:58 PM

Hey RQ...I had to download the TL Space from the digi website...not too much of a problem as the directions to do this were included in the installation / authorization documents. But still kinda confusing/unintuitive. An earlier poster mentioned that they were provided with an MP3 authorization number bundled with their MP Toolkit. That would've been great, but no such luck with my toolkit. How hard would it be just provide us an authorization number??