Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2022, 07:13 AM

Default Re: playback engine issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven O'Neill View Post
Well...maybe, maybe not. There is definitely a selectable 44.1 kHz selection in the helix...but it's not making a difference in terms of allowing me to open any of my 44.1 sessions.

I wasn't aware I could convert to 48. Do you have a link to a procedure on doing so?

Read the manual. That setting does not change the actual sample rate of the usb audio interface. As spec’d previously, you need to install the core audio driver.

Mac Studio, 64GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Glyph 2TB USB3 HDD, OWC drive dock, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.8

Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.9, HD Native, Focusrite Red 8Pre

Presonus Faderport, Pro Tools | Control
Old 06-25-2022, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
Only if you use the manufacturers drivers. If using it plug n play (class compliant) they appear to only work at 48kHz.

OP, have you installed the drivers for the Helix? If not, that could be your problem. Also make sure to allow the driver to function via macOS security settings. That can sometimes trip people up.
Great points, ... Steven did you install the driver? Latest one with Apple silicon/M1 support? Intel drivers will not work, unclear what the wrong Intel driver installers will say/do-make sure you have the correct/latest installers. And are you then selecting that driver (not the class-compliant driver) as the playback engine? (it may be the Helix suppresses the class compliant driver so you do not see two options in the playback engine dialog, but if you do see two... make sure you pick the right one.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 06-25-2022 at 07:47 AM.
Old 06-25-2022, 07:42 AM

Quote:
I wasn't aware I could convert to 48. Do you have a link to a procedure on doing so?
File>Save Copy In and select a new sample rate is how you generally change Pro Tools session sample rates. Searching the in-product help or Pro Tools Reference Guide PDF will answer questions like this, and give more depth.
Old 06-25-2022, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Jimmy View Post
You gave me a giggle this morning Darryl.

Reading this page all the way through still leads me to believe the internals are fixed at 48k and everything else is accomplished via SRC.
https://helixhelp.com/tips-and-guide...obal-settings/
Yes, sorry for not reading your comment more carefully, I missed a few things in this thread, was tired, up late working on some code... but this made me add more reporting to a little command line tool I am working on where it lists all coreaudio interfaces and all their nominal/supported and current sample rates and IO buffer sizes.
Old 06-26-2022, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Great points, ... Steven did you install the driver? Latest one with Apple silicon/M1 support? Intel drivers will not work, unclear what the wrong Intel driver installers will say/do-make sure you have the correct/latest installers. And are you then selecting that driver (not the class-compliant driver) as the playback engine? (it may be the Helix suppresses the class compliant driver so you do not see two options in the playback engine dialog, but if you do see two... make sure you pick the right one.
okay, so I installed the M1-specific drivers and I still can't open the old 44.1 sessions. When I did the driver installation it told me that I needed to enable extensions (which I have no idea what that means/does)...or something to that effect. I wound up not enabling them because right after I clicked "okay" to go to the link to enable them, it said that the installation was successful. will try to figure out how and where to go, to do that and see if that's hopefully the fix.
Old 06-26-2022, 08:55 AM

Quote:
File>Save Copy In and select a new sample rate is how you generally change Pro Tools session sample rates. Searching the in-product help or Pro Tools Reference Guide PDF will answer questions like this, and give more depth.
problem is, I can't change the sample rate of a session that I can't get in to. as far as I know anyway
Old 06-26-2022, 10:39 AM

Quote:
okay, so I installed the M1-specific drivers and I still can't open the old 44.1 sessions. When I did the driver installation it told me that I needed to enable extensions (which I have no idea what that means/does)...or something to that effect. I wound up not enabling them because right after I clicked "okay" to go to the link to enable them, it said that the installation was successful. will try to figure out how and where to go, to do that and see if that's hopefully the fix.
Ugh no. All this because you never installed the drivers...

After the installer runs you must to go to System Preferences> Privacy & Security > General and click on the checkbox to enable the driver to install. Standard modern macOS behavior that does trip up folks. The approval checkbox disappears 30 minutes after the installer runs, so rerun it and do it properly. Lost? find the installer documentation/line 6 product help and do what it says.
Old 06-26-2022, 10:43 AM

Quote:
problem is, I can't change the sample rate of a session that I can't get in to. as far as I know anyway
Oh come on, you open the session using another interface, any interface,... like Built-In Output and do the Save Copy In from there.
Old 06-26-2022, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Oh come on, you open the session using another interface, any interface,... like Built-In Output and do the Save Copy In from there.
Jeez, Comic Book Guy much?

sorry for posting a novice question in the Getting Started section. If you're so smart, go troll some power users.
Old 06-26-2022, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Jeez, Comic Book Guy much?

sorry for posting a novice question in the Getting Started section. If you're so smart, go troll some power users.
You posted many questions in one thread, ... when maybe you ought to bother reading some documentation, or you know like following the on screen directions the installer is giving you vs guessing stuff works.