Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2022, 11:52 AM

Default Memory running low, try to increase AAE's memory size.

Skjermbilde 2022-06-23 kl. 19.54.58.png

Skjermbilde 2022-06-23 kl. 20.13.51.png

I'm enjoying playing around with old sessions from when I had a real studio. Stuff from 20+ yrs ago, so you can imagine these are really light on the cpu as in those days audio dsp was at a totally different point in development. Also, First thing I do with these sessions is strip them of every plugin, reroute and so on, to mix them again. No VI's initially, just audio.

If I keep a session open for hours or perhaps days, working on it now and then, otherwise it sits idle in the background, I'll eventually get the 9013 error. All I have to do is save and close the session, open it again, and it's fine. But it is consistent, I get it every other day.

I don't think I've ever seen this specific error before. And I've certainly never increased "AAE's preferred memory size". How do you do that??? (I remember when you would set how much memory an app could use in the 'get info' box in Finder, but that's a loong time ago.

The only significant change in my setup lately is gong from a Command|8 midi controller to an Artist Mix with Eucon. It might have started after that. Not shure.

Activity monitor says cpu is low, so is memory usage. Almost never swapping.

This is just a minor inconvenience, everything else is working fine, just thought I'd mention it.

"Please increase AAE's preferred memory size"?

(And for those who wonder; yes, I like to have lots of stuff running all the time and yes, I do use this machine for lots of things beside PT, because I can, and the mac can handle it. Great technology should be used and pushed, I think.)

Added: I've tried different disk cache sizes, as well as 'Normal'. Makes no difference, it seems.

Last edited by Ben Jenssen; 06-23-2022 at 12:05 PM.
Old 06-23-2022, 12:13 PM

Default Re: Memory running low, try to increase AAE's memory size.

Look up the KB article for this AAE error... I can't post a link because of our broken DUC security WAF settings.

This has nothing to do with CPU use or disk cache size or any other memory setting... and there is nothing to adjust there.

This come up rarely, it's come up before on DUC, so you can search around here.

You running 2020.12? I think in very recent release of Pro Tools the error message got a stupidly cryptic comment tacked onto the error message text that you can't change the size. You think Avid would have just cleaned up the whole error message instead.

It may have nothing to do with missing files either, but the tech note is a place to start. And either way, try a Save Copy In of your old session.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 06-23-2022 at 12:25 PM.
Old 06-23-2022, 12:29 PM

Thanks, Darryl.
I did search and found a lot of questions on it, but no answer. And the Avid Knowledge Base just says "AAE -9013 means that Pro Tools is looking for a missing file or drive." which makes no sense, because I can simply close and reopen the session. Clearing the memory in some way, I guess.

Yes, I let my support plan expire dec 2020. It's still working very well, so I'll just continue to stay on my 'freeze'd' system for now. PT taught me that a long time ago, but I do have a redemption code that I got on sale in december.

I'll do the save copy in… when I get to it.
Old 06-23-2022, 01:17 PM

A little more digging in the Avid Knowledge Base, and I found this:
Pro Tools 2021.6 Release Notes

It says, about half-way down:

Crashes & Errors
  • Fixed a case of persistent AAE -9013 errors after changing the disk cache setting (PT-270505)
So I guess it was fixed in 2021.6, and I will have to live with it for now. No big deal.
Old 06-23-2022, 02:07 PM

Good one. You might have found important stuff, but this error is still biting folks (infrequently) on more recent releases.
Old 09-21-2022, 06:11 AM

I consistently get this error if I power on an external drive while I have a ProTools session open. I have to quit Protools, re-launch Protools and re-open my session again to continue working as normally. It's been this way for me since 2022.5 if I'm remembering correctly. Before 2022.5, never had this problem. I could power up any drive with any session open and continue working no problem.

Ben Jennsen - any hard drives coming online around the time you get this error? Perhaps going on and offline as a result from power saving settings?
Old 09-21-2022, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidCaporale View Post
Ben Jennsen - any hard drives coming online around the time you get this error? Perhaps going on and offline as a result from power saving settings?
I think that's very unlikely to be the cause of my errors.
I very seldom mount/dismount drives.
Also, I can simply close and re-open the session and it's fine.
Old 09-22-2022, 07:32 PM

These -9013 errors are really annoying now

I get fewer than on 12.5.1 and 2022.6 but still there.

I currently have:

macOS 12.6
PT 2022.7
TB/USB 4 NVMe drives.

I always check Disc Allocation before going on with a session, especially if I use different drives so I don't think there's an issue there.

I've noticed that I get the errors when I'm working on VI heavy sessions.
(16GB RAM, 1TB SSD internal)
Samsung T7 x a few
Samsung 980 Pro x 2 (in Acasis TB/USB 4 enclosures)
Apogee Ensemble Thunderbolt (my hero)