Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24

Old 02-09-2022, 07:25 AM

Default Re: C|24 Analogue levels way out??

My problem is now fixed. I realise the DUC isn't really the place for technical details but I"m posting this here in case one day another C|24 owner finds it useful.

The first replacement board shipped to me didn't work; in fact the input/output routing was completely garbled. I returned it and had another shipped to me. In the meantime the first board was re-checked by the Avid service guy and found to be fine. It turned out that while dismantling the desk one of the ribbon cable headers (which are glued into place!) had become intermittent. A new ribbon cable fixed the problem.

The monitor board is hard to diagnose because, although it's an analogue board, all its levels and routing are digitally controlled. The bad ribbon cable was running to the monitor board from the "com" board - which appears to be the hub for scanning all the buttons and encoders. So this ribbon was 'telling' the monitor board where to send its signals at at what level.

Also worthy of note is that the actual problem with the original board may have been overheating. There are six voltage regulators on the board: +/-18, +/-9 and +/-5, and all three boards I looked at had scorch marks on the PCB around these regulators. In fact, both the replacement boards from Avid had had at least one of these regulators replaced. The original board had low output from two of these regulators and in hindsight I imagine I might have solved my problem by just installing new regulators - but I wasn't to know that at the time, and I'll never know if that was the only thing wrong with the original board. Still, it's worth checking this if your monitor board is playing up.

Judging by the scratch marks on the bottom panel screws, I suspect the original owner of my desk had it installed with at least two of the four feet 'off the edge' of the surface it was standing on. Since there's two huge ventilation grills under the desk, this may have contributed to the overheating.

All 8 main outputs (surround and alt. out) on my desk are now much closer to the input - about 2 - 2.5dB down, which according to the Avid service guy is about as good as it gets. Cue Out is still 10dB lower than Cue In so this seems to be endemic to the design - and that's a disappointment since it's probably the output I most wanted to be at unity.

Oh, and - you have to remove EIGHTY-FOUR screws just to get the bottom panel off!
Apple Mac Pro 6,1 late 2013 2.7Ghz 12-Core Xeon E5, 64GB RAM, D500 Graphics, OSX Monterey 12.7.1/Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.12/Presonus Quantum 4848 Thunderbolt 2/Digidesign C|24/Focusrite ISA430 MkII/SPL GoldMike