Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2006, 01:43 PM

Default lowest latency without \"low latency monitoring\" ?

so here is the deal :
i am now running cubase sx 3 on an old pc p4 2.8 with 1 gig of ram with the emu 1820m card.

i am able to do audio work with a very low latency ( 2 - 5 ms) even when i am doing a vocal overdub
when i am allready mixing (lots of plug ins and processing).

i want to cross over to a new dual core pc + 002 but want to work with out any noticeble latency
and wih out compromising the playback (muted sends and offline plug-ins) as the "low latency monitoring" option does.

so ? is thihs possible ?

you know how it is right? you are allready in the middle of the mix with tons of plugs and editing allready in place when the artist walks in the control and decide he wants to re-record the vocal track.

can it be done on a big project (32-48 tracks) with "mix mode" proccesing volume on a dual core pc with 2 gigs of ram with a latency of 2 - 5 ms ?

i know most of you don't mind a 7- 10 ms latency but it's to high for me.

so now it all depends on you guys ! give me good news.

thanks.
Old 06-15-2006, 01:50 PM

Default Re: lowest latency without \"low latency monitoring\" ?

check out the quad thread, the only way to go, dont settle for a x2 system when the quad cores are here! and we are tracking with the same amount of latency as an hd system using the right settings in pro tools, aprox 1 ms is my understanding, so if your considering going this route, this is the best time ever to be running pro tools le.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 06-15-2006, 01:56 PM

I won't pretend to give you good news.
The low latency mode on the 002 is great, but any plugins on that track will be bypassed.. The good news is the audio can still be sent or routed to aux inserts (for reverb etc...)

You will go insane trying to squash latency completely....Most AD and DA convertors will give you AT LEAST 1-2 ms each pass... There are some excellent threads regarding this... do a search!

When all else fails, if you need the superhuman timing of <5 ms, HD is the way to go. You wanna play you gotta pay...
Old 06-15-2006, 02:03 PM

Quote:
check out the quad thread, the only way to go, dont settle for a x2 system when the quad cores are here! and we are tracking with the same amount of latency as an hd system using the right settings in pro tools, aprox 1 ms is my understanding, so if your considering going this route, this is the best time ever to be running pro tools le.
I forgot to mention the quad thread

But the comment on 1ms is just not possible... there are physical limitations (damn just like the real world "latency")....
I know that at a 64 buffer level, I get no DETECTABLE latency whatsoever, but that doesn't mean it's ZERO latency.

Anyone who understands the workings of AD & DA convertors please chime in and set me straight if necessary!!!
Old 06-15-2006, 02:11 PM

we are tracking full sessions on the quad at 64 buffer setting NOT using low latency monitoring and all the plugs, including verbs with no problems while tracking. i wont argue the 1 ms until i am completely sure, but tracking w/o low latency and using lots of plugs is being done and making a huge difference in work flow, including sending headphone mixes out of hte 002 which is a big deal to me and no noticable latency.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 06-15-2006, 03:00 PM

awesome...
I also get great response from protools (I'm limited by a rather slow cpu), but where I run into trouble is using hardware inserts... ADC I guess...
Later this summer I am investing in a quad, so hopefully I'll be able to join you in "64 sample heaven"..
Old 05-11-2010, 08:40 AM

Default Re: lowest latency without "low latency monitoring" ?

This article's worth a read if you haven't already seen it http://www.jigsawbroadcast.com/conte...2-and-003.aspx