Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 05-06-2020, 07:27 AM

Default Freezing A Folder Track Does Not Freeze Its Contents

I was working on a session that was rapidly growing large, so I had my track stacks organized into closed folders, some of them nested. I needed to go back to a smaller buffer size and felt just freezing the closed folders would automatically freeze all the enclosed tracks. It did not! Am I missing something here? Logically, shouldn't freezing a folder also freeze its contents? At the very least there should be the option to do either. Is there a way to do this that I haven't yet discovered?
Old 05-06-2020, 08:47 AM

Default Re: Freezing A Folder Track Does Not Freeze Its Contents

Are the Folder Tracks Basic or Routing? Of course, since Folder Tracks are so new, this may be something for a future update

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 05-06-2020, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesbrunn View Post
I was working on a session that was rapidly growing large, so I had my track stacks organized into closed folders, some of them nested. I needed to go back to a smaller buffer size and felt just freezing the closed folders would automatically freeze all the enclosed tracks. It did not! Am I missing something here? Logically, shouldn't freezing a folder also freeze its contents? At the very least there should be the option to do either. Is there a way to do this that I haven't yet discovered?

Hmm i just saw an avid video which explicitly said that freezing a folder would freeze the contents! Sounds like a bug

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
* Soundtoys + Valhalla + Fabfilter + Spitfire
* RME Fireface UCX II ~ Arturia Keylab Essential 49
* various clarinets, trumpets, flutes, plucky stringy thingies
Old 05-07-2020, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzzam View Post
Hmm i just saw an avid video which explicitly said that freezing a folder would freeze the contents! Sounds like a bug

Have you tried it?
Old 05-07-2020, 02:23 AM

I RTFM to learn more about this, and it says "Only the audio output of the Routing Folder track will be frozen (or unfrozen), audio from member tracks that are not routed through the Routing Folder are not included."
Fair enough if unrouted member tracks are not frozen (though I think every member should be frozen), but this implies that member tracks that are routed, should also freeze. That doesn't happen.
Old 05-07-2020, 03:28 AM

No, not the tracks. The OUTPUT of routing track should freeze.
Old 05-07-2020, 03:58 AM

Yeah if you think of a routing folder as just a re-badged aux track (because, let's face it, that's basically what it is) then it follows the exactly the same rules as an aux track: i.e. if you freeze an aux track, you don't expect all the tracks routed to it to freeze as well.
Old 05-07-2020, 04:39 AM

Exactly

Old 05-07-2020, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightrambler View Post
Yeah if you think of a routing folder as just a re-badged aux track (because, let's face it, that's basically what it is) then it follows the exactly the same rules as an aux track: i.e. if you freeze an aux track, you don't expect all the tracks routed to it to freeze as well.
OK. That's what it is basically, an aux track on steroids if you will. And that is exactly why I expect more from it. An aux track only routes audio. A routing folder does that, but it's also a container in which tracks are stored. Beside a situation where tracks are not routed through its path, I'd expect the tracks in the container to freeze when the container is frozen. Otherwise apart from purely organizational value, where are the steroids?

Is there anyone here who would say there is no benefit in having member tracks freeze with one click on the folder?

There should be an option for this, just as there are options to either save a closed folder track as a preset with or without its member tracks.

Last edited by lesbrunn; 05-07-2020 at 07:37 AM.
Old 05-07-2020, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
No, not the tracks. The OUTPUT of routing track should freeze.
Yes, that too. But the major value of frozen tracks in IM (humble) O is not in freezing audio clips. What's to be gained from that if there are no plugins inserted on the folder? The real benefit is the ability to freeze the whole signal path with its plugins and whatever, thereby easing the CPU load.

All I'm suggesting is that the option should be made available because it's useful, and will save time.