How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2021, 07:14 PM

Default No play, just blinks, and no sound

Hello,

I'm new to pro tools and I'm familiar with logic. I'm using windows 10 pro with no audio interface yet. I'm using an HDMI cable from desktop CPU to smart tv as my monitor. I opened a funk template track that shows midi notes on two separate tracks. But when I press play, the play button just blinks. I've adjusted the cursor at different locations on the track and still no movement. Changed my bit/sample rating before launching a template track and it played. So, now I see levels in the mix but no sound. Tried switching the playback engine to the Samsung tv output and PT says it has to close the track to use that output. But when I open it back up and search the output, it goes back to the default. Cant wait to get sound .................. SMH

Last edited by qmusic; 06-26-2021 at 07:45 PM.
Old 06-27-2021, 11:02 AM

Default Re: No play, just blinks, and no sound

Random thoughts:
1-get an interface. Using the HDMI out MIGHT work, but it might not work. Rather than chase your tail, use a dedicated interface with proper drivers for Windows 10 and life will be significantly easier.
2-re midi notes on a track....is it a MIDI track or an INSTRUMENT track? In both cases, midi makes no sound on its own(even though it may well trigger the track meter). The midi notes(and other midi info) need to "drive" a VI plugin(VI standing for Virtual Instrument). How can you tell if the track is MIDI or INSTRUMENT? Easy; INSTRUMENT tracks will have 2 PAN knobs(like a stereo AUDIO track). A MIDI track will not. Assuming an INSTRUMENT track, insert a VI plugin like MiniGrand in the top slot. That will give the midi notes something to "play".
3-whenever hitting PLAY gets nothing but flashing PLAY/STOP buttons, save and close the session. Then re-open it. Whenever that happens here, it always plays fine after the re-open(why this happens is anybody's guess).
4-for Windows setups, 98% of the time, you will need to make sure(AFTER you install the driver for your interface) that you open Windows Sound Properties and set it to use the on-board sound card(Realtek?) as the "Default Playback Device". The reason for doing this is so that Pro Tools can have exclusive control over your recording interface. Otherwise, Windows may simply lock Pro Tools out from using it, or Windows may not allow you to set things such as sample rate or playback buffer in Pro Tools(things that you need to be able to set so you can record).
5-none of this will matter until you solve #1 and get a dedicated audio interface

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-27-2021, 12:27 PM

Default Re: No play, just blinks, and no sound

Download ASIO4ALL
Install it and configure it for whatever output you want.
Open Pro Tools and use the ASIO4ALL entry.

What you are getting right now is because Pro Tools can't talk to the playback engine that you have chosen.