Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2010, 07:10 AM

Default Re: PT native out of the bag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Gutnik View Post
Hi All,

I've noticed a lot of folks here and in other forums commenting on the price of Pro Tools|HD Native. As I said in another thread, it's important to Keep in mind that Pro Tools|HD Native includes Pro Tools HD software. When you consider the value of Pro Tools HD software at around $2500, the price of Pro Tools|HD Native is a pretty great value. Add in the advantaged pricing when you bundle an HD series interface and it's a very competitive pro solution with best in class performance and sound quality.

I also would take exception to the idea that the HD Native Core card is "just a dongle." To get the performance, stability, low latency and I/O count our pro customers want from a native HD system requires more than USB or Firewire could possibly provide.

Looking forward to more comments and feedback.

Best,
Max
Price related only,

Avid's Media Composer is $2500. So it figures you'll estimate the price of PTHD software to be of the same value. But consider that with an extra 1k you can add Mojo SDI and have a fully working editing system with I/O.
The extra 1k in PTHD native goes for an interface card to connect your I/O. It is required and has no purpose on it own. You need to add the I/O for an extra $2500. So in reality the cost is NOT in line with Avid's own pricing methodology of around 3.5-4K for a working system, like you say it is, but rather 6K.

If I could I/O to speakers from this card I'd say its great value, but I can't do even that....

So I don't think its GREAT value like you claim. I think 6K its fair value for a mid to high end solution that is more in touch with current generation of computer hardware than PTHD accel solutions.

Its still limited it seems (unless you can couple more that one card to get even more tracks and I/O). So even now PTHD accel isn't dead. Its just repositioned itself at the very high end of DAWs.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mano111 View Post
Its still limited it seems (unless you can couple more that one card to get even more tracks and I/O). So even now PTHD accel isn't dead. Its just repositioned itself at the very high end of DAWs.
It was never meant to kill TDM...

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 10-07-2010, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie169 View Post
By the time the Native Card gets to Aussie shelves, we'll be paying more like $4500.
Now if the card was also a 2x2 I/O in its own right, I'd be sold.
I just want a stereo HD Native ITB mixing setup. I really shouldn't have to buy an 8x8 Omni to do that.
Internet shopping will get busy with this.. I will likely do as I have always done and buy from the US and ship down. Especially with the AuD hitting $0.99 USD today. I will leave the importers out of this.. They gouge and gouge and one day will be extinct.
What I found when I got there,
was that I couldn't stay away!

Hobo Shave!
Old 10-07-2010, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dism View Post
It was never meant to kill TDM...
Right. It is simply a more affordable HD for native, and I bet a lot of people with lesser needs are fine with spending 6k for HD Native over the TDM price. Much of the price talk is from LE folks a little upset at this release and still not getting the wanted features in LE, or from the same software daw kids wanting everything for a couple hundred bucks. Aside from that the HD Native price is definitely not a deal killer.

Old 10-07-2010, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamlan View Post
Right. It is simply a more affordable HD for native, and I bet a lot of people with lesser needs are fine with spending 6k for HD Native over the TDM price. Much of the price talk is from LE folks a little upset at this release and still not getting the wanted features in LE, or from the same software daw kids wanting everything for a couple hundred bucks. Aside from that the HD Native price is definitely not a deal killer.
For sure.

I have no problems with HD being out of the price range of the majority of users, because the majority of users don't need HD.

What it does, is bring HD functionality and I/O to a more affordable level for those of us who can't justify HD1 or 2.

I'm still going to wait until after AES, to see what else Avid is throwing our way... but it's looking like this will be what I end up with.

D

Old 10-07-2010, 08:31 AM

Quote:
I'm still going to wait until after AES, to see what else Avid is throwing our way... but it's looking like this will be what I end up with.
Me as well... I hope something nice comes along for LE, but HDN is looking pretty sweet.. I can live without HEAT and TDM. I just need to sort out the most cost-effective way of acheiving 16 digital INs @96k, midi capability, and monitoring capability.

If only my brain worked a little more clearly than it is..
What I found when I got there,
was that I couldn't stay away!

Hobo Shave!
Old 10-07-2010, 08:45 AM

There are a lot of awesome plugins that are TDM only.

A system like this would require me to upgrade my computer in order to utilize the same amount of plugins I can with an HD system, which makes the cost the same as buying another HD system.

If they come out with a portable native HD solution, I will be the first in line!

I'm excited that Digidesign is heading in this direction! The only thing I'm worried about with the native solutions is latency. The no latency is a major part of why I use Protools HD TDM.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjames08 View Post
There are a lot of awesome plugins that are TDM only.

A system like this would require me to upgrade my computer in order to utilize the same amount of plugins I can with an HD system, which makes the cost the same as buying another HD system.

If they come out with a portable native HD solution, I will be the first in line!

I'm excited that Digidesign is heading in this direction! The only thing I'm worried about with the native solutions is latency. The no latency is a major part of why I use Protools HD TDM.
I wouldn't be worried about 1.6ms of latency.

There are a number of great TDM only plugs... but there are plenty more that are also RTAS. And really, at the end of the day... you can make a great mix with the stock Pro Tools plugs. It just comes down to what you're used to and what you like.

D

Old 10-07-2010, 08:58 AM

Quote:
For sure.

I have no problems with HD being out of the price range of the majority of users, because the majority of users don't need HD.

What it does, is bring HD functionality and I/O to a more affordable level for those of us who can't justify HD1 or 2.

This is kinda where I am, and I've hawked at HD ever since becoming a LE,M-P customer. But this is cool. There will always be those that just will not pay a certain amount even for a software daw. And the funny thing is, I know guys who buy 3k Yamaha Motif boards and use Fruity Loops, so for some it's perspective not necessarily price.

I just think that new users, and middle of the road LE users, making a decent living in home studios, will jump on HD Native if anything simply to say "I have HD." If you take LE woes out the picture HD Native is at a comfortable price and a good move for Avid especially when everyone is saying and agreeing that native is the thing of the future. I see them modernizing the Pro Tools software in the future, but LE has the new interfaces and still will not get ADC because of HDN. Looks pretty clear to me.

Old 10-07-2010, 09:56 AM

No adc for LE? I think avid knows that they will lose alot of users if that happens. I personally just want a working build, that supports w7. Im hoping AES brings good things...

Nick
OCZ Agility 64 GB SSD
Hitachi 1TB 32 MB HDD
WD Caviar Black 500GB
Saphhire HD 5850
3 x 20" monitors

Eleven Rack w/ ERXP
Fender Super Champ XD
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100 Silver Edition W/ Silver Jubilee Cabinet