Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2010, 11:20 PM

Default Re: PT native out of the bag

Hello Mr Gutnik.

Pro Tools HD Native is targeting whom? And more important what are the duties of the Native Card?
Old 10-06-2010, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filosofem View Post
Hello Mr Gutnik.

Pro Tools HD Native is targeting whom? And more important what are the duties of the Native Card?
I would guess that it's reliable I/O (as per Mr Gutnik's comment).... who's betting on a digilink port on the 004?? (& do I win a prize for the correct guess Mr G????)
Old 10-06-2010, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dism View Post
The loudest voices are looking for the same basic features. Avid has been teasing us with new hardware, but no significant movements in software for nearly 2 years. Ever hear the saying, "Save the best for last?"

So... they release flashy new hardware. Some neat features, upgraded parts, more versatility, etc. Now we're seeing some action from Avid, and maybe getting used to it. But they know what we really want... we want modernization of the software.

Timing is everything, especially when a company is dealing with a troubled economy and strained market share. Apple is about the best example of that. In terms of hardware+software... when you have such a variety of hardware, doesn't it make sense to release it all first, and THEN release software that is compatible with all of it, instead of patching it every time something new comes out? Makes sense to me.

All of these hardware releases have been leading up to November AES. Just under a month away now. Every new release has been more and more interesting. The HD I/O had fairly mediocre fanfair, but the MBoxes created quite a buzz. Now this HD Native has everyone awake and talking. Good and bad.

All that's really missing now, in terms of hardware, is the new 00x, and new TDM cards.

Software is all that's left after that. Why not make a big splash at the big audio event? Considering Avid is the only company listed with both a booth and a room...

Either way, some food for thought.
Also hardware is way easier to troubleshoot bugs out of!!
Old 10-06-2010, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filosofem View Post
Hello Mr Gutnik.

Hello filosofem,

We have heard for many years from our professional customers that they were in need of a Pro Tools HD system that would bridge the gap between Pro Tools LE and our high end HD TDM systems. These customers wanted a rock solid, high performance system on the host with the lowest possible latency, the ability to use high end converters, controllers and interfaces, and all of the features and functionality of Pro Tools HD software. That's essentially what Pro Tools|HD Native delivers.

As for the HD Native Core card, it is responsible for the I/O throughput, low latency routing and the LLM feature, as well as sync and TC functions via Sync HD. It's because of the HD Native Core card and tight integration with Pro Tools HD that we can ensure a stable, professional experience on the host.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:39 PM

Nice, thank you Max for your time.
Old 10-07-2010, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Gutnik View Post
Hi All,

I've noticed a lot of folks here and in other forums commenting on the price of Pro Tools|HD Native. As I said in another thread, it's important to Keep in mind that Pro Tools|HD Native includes Pro Tools HD software. When you consider the value of Pro Tools HD software at around $2500, the price of Pro Tools|HD Native is a pretty great value. Add in the advantaged pricing when you bundle an HD series interface and it's a very competitive pro solution with best in class performance and sound quality.

I also would take exception to the idea that the HD Native Core card is "just a dongle." To get the performance, stability, low latency and I/O count our pro customers want from a native HD system requires more than USB or Firewire could possibly provide.

Looking forward to more comments and feedback.

Best,
Max
Who considers the value of PT HD software to be $2500.00?
I consider the value to be $249.00 IF I pay full price. I can get it for $189.00.

On a positive note...considering that other HD hardware that MAPs for $xxxx.xx can be bought in the real world for about half of whatever the bloated price is advertised at, I'm sure these $3500.00 cards will be $1800.00 or less in a couple months.
Old 10-07-2010, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P4Vi7 View Post
Avid have done very well with this product if it is not for you than so be it.
When Omni was released I thought hmmm, a native solution would be awesome. I think Avid have done great here, and we'll see how it stacks up soon.

And love for LE is coming soon. I'm excited :)

Lastly, thanks Max for your comments.

Mike.

Avid Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.3. Win7x64Sp1. i7-930 X58A-UD3R. Acronis backup. Black Viper optimized.
Google the DUC
Search Avid

Old 10-07-2010, 04:06 AM

By the time the Native Card gets to Aussie shelves, we'll be paying more like $4500.
Now if the card was also a 2x2 I/O in its own right, I'd be sold.
I just want a stereo HD Native ITB mixing setup. I really shouldn't have to buy an 8x8 Omni to do that.
Old 10-07-2010, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie169 View Post
By the time the Native Card gets to Aussie shelves, we'll be paying more like $4500.
I hear that :*(

Avid Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.3. Win7x64Sp1. i7-930 X58A-UD3R. Acronis backup. Black Viper optimized.
Google the DUC
Search Avid

Old 10-07-2010, 06:22 AM

Max in another thread arrived at the $2500 price by assuming a value of $299 for basic LE software (based on the price of Mpowered) and adding the Complete Toolkit to bring functionality closer to HD, plus adding a couple of hundred bucks.

He was comparing that to $3500 for the HD card and software, saying it's not that far off.