Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 09-17-2004, 09:15 AM

Default What are the absolute best video parameters for PT

We are running an HD 1 system here on a dual processor G4. Panther running PT TDM 6.4. We seem to have figured out that the movie needs to be encoded in DV or dv/dvcpro to run well (or maybe that's just to be able to run out of the canopus). But we have only tried that with nothing but basically the video in the session and are worried about it possibly getting bogged down once the session gets thick.

I believe the old method of thinking in OS 9 was to limit the video file to 2 GB. I think that shouldn't probably apply anymore with how well panther takes advantage of processors, RIGHT?, especially dual processors and that the graphics card does most of the work in panther....am I correct about that thinking?

Also, does it matter what the resolution is or the what the movie data RATE is? We obviously would love to hear that file size, resolution, and data rate are not issues at all and that the only thing that is important is to have our video in the dv/dvcpro codec. so that it will look as good as possible both when using the canopus for output and when NOT using the canopus.
PT Ultimate
Old 09-18-2004, 01:02 PM

Default Re: What are the absolute best video parameters for PT

Sorry...

I don't have an answer for you, I was wondering about the Canopus Video system you have.
Is it the ADVC 100 or similar.
Does that work for you for outputting video from PT?
Old 09-19-2004, 02:03 PM

yes, I have the advc 100

I use it at my home studio for outputting video from pro tools LE and we also have one in the studio I work in most of the time where we use it to output video from an HD 1 system.

Using it on the TDM system requires you enter a frame offset to sync the picture w/ the audio moreso than on my LE system
PT Ultimate
Old 09-20-2004, 12:37 PM

bump.....anyone out there?
PT Ultimate
Old 09-20-2004, 06:21 PM

I've used full resolution, full motion NTSC DV encoded Quicktimes in PT all the time. I'm told there can be a bit of a time code drift over time, but personally that's never been an issue for me. However, I don't believe I've ever run more than 20 tracks in a video-based session. I've never had any problems at all. None.