Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2007, 11:00 AM

Default Will PT be ready for the arrival of Leopard??

I was hoping to hear more news out of NAMM, but I am just curious about the whole jump to 64-bit OS's like OS X Leopard and how that's gonna affect our beloved Pro Tools?? After seeing what EastWest SoundsOnLine has come up with in the way of software that can use 64-bit architecture, I am already drooling(A good example is Voices of Passion: http://www.soundsonline.com/QUANTUM-...EW-174.html)!! I guess the biggest concern is, will PT 7 be ready to use with Leopard soon after it's intro(i.e.; cs updates??)?? Anyone have any juicy info??
Old 01-20-2007, 11:28 AM

Default Re: Will PT be ready for the arrival of Leopard??

As always...
PT will be ready AFTER Leopard is out.
somewhere in Digi's basement they've got some build running on some Leopard beta.

But for the customer usually it takes time until digi release a version compatible (and tested over MOST hardware configurations).
Old 01-20-2007, 12:02 PM

Yeah, that's what I am figuring, too. I'm just very curious as to how the 64-bitness of it all is gonna benefit us and what kind of things are planned, after seeing how some other companies are going to use it.
Old 01-20-2007, 01:56 PM

...rumor has it that the next generation of Pro Tools HD cards are in beta now, and they are 64 bit; I bet we see these at AES in October, it seems that they're about due. I hope it happens; these current Accel cards just aren't that impressive power-wise; especially at high samplerates.
Old 01-20-2007, 04:30 PM

Pro Tools, the application, would have to be compiled as a 64bit app to reap the benefits of 64 bits. Processing audio at 64 bits? This seems a bit absurd. We already know that you can't clip the 48bit mix bus, so why bother with another 16 bits?

As for the original question, I suspect Digidesign will buy a boxed copy of Leopard, do full qualification testing against that, and then release a v7.x.y update that works with Leopard. That's how they approached Tiger.
Old 01-20-2007, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Pro Tools, the application, would have to be compiled as a 64bit app to reap the benefits of 64 bits. Processing audio at 64 bits? This seems a bit absurd. We already know that you can't clip the 48bit mix bus, so why bother with another 16 bits?
The advantages of a 64 bit platform with regards to memory addressing are more likely the advantage. It's my understanding that PT is not yet fully optimized for MacIntel. Digi is going to have to more than simply recompile to take advantage of a 64 bit architecture, it's going to have to be coded for the 64 bit API. This is true for both platforms, not just the Mac. There are advantages to operating in a 64 bit platform that don't have anything to do with audio per se, namely memory addressing and data path width.

Dave
Old 01-21-2007, 03:11 AM

Hi,
i've already posted it here in the DUC.
I'm running Pro Tools HD 7.2 on a beta of OSX 10.5 Leopard. And everything works perfect
Check this video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QnZR70GNHI

Old 01-21-2007, 09:27 AM

Quote:
...rumor has it that the next generation of Pro Tools HD cards are in beta now, and they are 64 bit; I bet we see these at AES in October, it seems that they're about due. I hope it happens; these current Accel cards just aren't that impressive power-wise; especially at high samplerates.
Uh...the cards are already 64-bit capable. Have been since day one. The app just needs to be coded/compiled/linked for 64-bit OS's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki-k View Post
Sometimes ya just gotta put your tongue on the 9V battery just to see what all the fuss is about.
Old 07-07-2007, 03:23 PM

I am running the latest Leopard on my MacBook Pro 2 GHZ... I also run PTLE 7.3.1CS3 and it is faster(a whole lot) than running on tiger. The only problem is that the work space doesnt work (PT can gain access to drive within the WS cuz of insufficient privileges. But privileges seem to be an overall problem in the leopard preview as one cannot change those. Besides that PT runs great as does most other applications already running on tiger...

I literally LOVE Leopard... It is truly a great version and Time Machine is finally gonna make sure that I NEVER have to look at Retrospect again... The OS is screaming fast and there are great many bug fixes...Built in - screen sharing - so NO NEED for remote desktop. And file sharing has indeed never been easier... I cannot wait for Leopard to make it's final appearance and for PT to get 100% compatible...

I have not tried Leopard on my commercial rig with HD hardware and do not intent to either B4 digi approves of it...

This being said.... Leopard's gonna kick some serious AZZ