Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2010, 06:34 PM

Default are 16 faders enough?

I`m mixing for film and TV and I was using a 24 channel pro control the last years and i was pretty happy with it!24 faders was enough for me but less wouldn`t be cool!Now i bought a 32 channel d control cause I got it cheap and I m looking forward to the EQ section and surround panner etc.. this was not satisfying for me on pro control!My plan was to sell a fader pack to safe some money but I`m not shure if 16 faders is enough...what is your experience?Who has a 32 cannel d control?Would u say it`s much better to have these 16 more faders or is it only to impress your clients?And i should use the 10.000 what I would probaly get for the 16 faders for something more usefull?
Old 01-29-2010, 08:09 PM

Default Re: are 16 faders enough?

16 is probably enough
but things to think a bought:
do you need to order different frame parts
with Custom Faders you can have basically a second 16 cannel controller for ether a second mixer or special tracks among other things

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 01-29-2010, 09:48 PM

Since you HAVE the 32 fader version, why not remove the 16 fader expansion and live with it for a month. I work on a C24 a lot and sometimes feel that 24 is not enough. Then I go home and work on my 003........

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-30-2010, 02:03 AM

I thought may b with the d control it`s a little bit different because of the focus channel but i would like to know what ur experience is...I think u can get used to anything- I could mix a hole movie with only 8 faders or even 1 but that`s not the point...are there more good reasons besides impressing clients for having 32 faders instead of 16?If there are lots of guys who are mixing for film and having a 32 channel d control telling me they end up using only the 16 faders I´d probalbly decide to sell it right away cause i know I`d get used to the 32 faders cause u start to work differently may b and get used to it?
one thing i thought about was may b with 32 channels u have more overview of whats goin on cause the control gives u feedback also I like to leave all my buses on the 1st 8 faders all the time(for example:dialog,st fx,mono fx,music,foleys,mono atmos,st atmos,adr)then u only have 8 (9) more faders
but again, I know that 16 faders is enough and u can do everything u have to do but may b u have good reasons for me to have this extra fader pack?
Old 01-30-2010, 02:47 AM

Also i`d like toknow if any of you did this digidesign upgrade from d control to d control ES and if it was worth it!I don`t even know yet how much this woudl be! Do U?
Old 01-30-2010, 10:36 AM

Coming from a 16 fader ProControl we where in the same situation as you and also not sure what the best option would be for a workflow suiting our needs.

After working on the Dcontrol in a 32-fader configuration the answer was very simple to me: go for 32 faders....!

Beside the total overview, what's far more good, you have the option to use two separate Custom faders.

I use our Dcontrol with the 32 faders all to the left, but in the Protools preferences for the controllers a have the follow order:
faderpack - mainunit - faderpack, so Protools thinks it's in split configuration.

This gives you the option to use the 2 Custom faders as two separate faders, giving them both an other function. Very easy and fast working when you you are in big sessions.
Also I let my Custom Faders use a maximum of 16 faders for controlling custom Groups, Edit/Mix Groups, Track Types and Plug-in's

If you would like to try without the extra faderpack, you could just change your preference settings for the controller, so Protools won't see the faderpack....but you will....

Grz,

Louis
Old 02-08-2010, 01:20 PM
Quiet Art Ltd.

It would be perfect if D-Control came with an 8 fader expansion option as well.

WaveRider + Defaulter (now with LKFS)
QuietArt.co.nz

Catchin' SYNC app