Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2007, 08:14 PM

Default rewire

hey whats up guys im new to this forum and i was just wondering if anyone has any ideas of how to run the protools 7.0 rewire system with reason 3.0 rewire system thanx
Old 05-09-2007, 09:29 PM

Default Re: rewire

are you having problems with it or do you just need how to do it.

if the latter is the case, open pro tools, create a stereo aux track, insert reason as a plug-in. this should open reason and pipe reason in using rewire automatically.

check out the propellerhead complete how to here

Even though this is for PT 6.1 the method of making reason an insert on an aux channel is the same for PT 7.x
Old 05-09-2007, 09:51 PM

thanx mnox ive been working on getting it going but had no idea. it looks like that did it again thanx for your help
Old 05-10-2007, 12:12 AM

mnoxious,
Do you know about using an M-Audio O2 as a controller and using Reson on an instrument channel?
I can get it to work the old school using a midi track and a aux channel, but it would be nicer using the instrument track. It doesn't seem to want to work using a USB M-Audio controller with Reason.
Old 05-10-2007, 03:52 PM

you know i haven't tried that. I actually have an M-audio O2 but I've never tried to use it as a controller of reason on an instrument track. I'd give it a look-see, however, ever since I upgraded to PT 7.3 my version of reason (2.5) is not compatible. So until I bite the bullet and upgrade to version 3 I'm stuck in standalone mode with reason. Sorry i couldn't be of any further help.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:22 AM

I trashed a bunch of preferences and got reason to work on my PPC computer at home. So I tried to rewire Reason using the M-audio O2 on an instrument track. It worked but it sort of worked in a weird way. I'll explain.

Create an Instrument Track

Put Reason in as an insert. (This should open reason)

Now the O2 should be controlling this instrument track.

In order for sound to come out, in the midi preferences in reason your O2 should be your controller and it needs to be receiving all midi channels as inputs.

You can switch which instrument the O2 plays in pro tools by changing the output on the instrument track to whichever device in reason you want it to control. (however it will only write midi data in pro tools not in reason - to write in reason you have to route the midi input (in reason) to the device you want to write to (just click on the space marked "in" next to the device in the sequencer).

Now if you want to control other instrument tracks (for example xpand! on a separate track) in pro tools I've come into a little hiccup. That is when I select the xpand! instrument track the midi information continues to control whatever is selected in reason. I could deselect the instrument in reason and then just the midi information is sent to that xpand! track but it's kind of a pain to keep switching apps. I don't know but I'm looking into a way to be able to control different instruments using different midi channels but I may need more midi controllers to do that. I'll try to report my findings.

If anyone else has info on reason via rewire using the M-Audio O2 please post it here.

Thanks.
Old 05-24-2007, 04:28 PM

Mnoxious:

Were you able to get Reason 2.5 to work with PT 7.1.1? I only have the adapted version, but it would be awesome if I could use it via rewire again!