Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2011, 02:56 PM

Default PT 9 error: Could not allocate space for Recording!

I've been successfully using PT9 for the past 7 months and all of a sudden I can't create a new session and record with it. I get the same error message "Could not allocate space for Recording!" This is on a 2 TB drive with 890 GIG free! it makes no sense. I just wanted to record 2 tracks and I enabled the tracks to record, pressed play to listen to the click for a minute & the message popped up. I checked the disk allocation and it all looks good. the session drive is set to RR and the other drives TT. this happened on the second of a 3 song session today. I couldn't resolve it right then, so the client left. needless to say I am not a happy camper.

And YES I did a search for this but the responses are not conclusive and from years ago. Any help will be sincerely appreciated.

thanks...
Old 07-20-2011, 06:14 PM

Default Re: PT 9 error: Could not allocate space for Recording!

nobody has had to deal with this issue? that's surprising... how about Tech Support?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCw...ogfR_7Q/videos

------------------------------------------------------
PT2023.12, OS X Monterey, Late 2013 MacPro, 6 core, 64 GB RAM, Orion Studio, Slate Raven MTi2, ISA428, ADL600, Distressor, Grace 501, Dimedio, Obsidian, One LA, BAC500, Harrison 32 EQ, UAD2 OCTO, Focal 6 be, Auratones...
Old 07-20-2011, 06:17 PM

I've had this happen if it's not the Workspace then check the drives hard permissions
if not that then time to trash the pref and database files

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 07-20-2011, 06:39 PM

Craig_F: thanks for responding. I checked the disk drive permissions & they seems to be OK. I will try trashing the permissions this evening... strange that this just "happened" out of nowhere. [sigh]

PT2023.12, OS X Monterey, Late 2013 MacPro, 6 core, 64 GB RAM, Orion Studio, Slate Raven MTi2, ISA428, ADL600, Distressor, Grace 501, Dimedio, Obsidian, One LA, BAC500, Harrison 32 EQ, UAD2 OCTO, Focal 6 be, Auratones...
Old 07-20-2011, 06:51 PM

deleting the Pro Tools preferences (only) seemed to do the trick. I can't understand what changed to cause this, but I seem to be back working for now. client coming back over on Friday. I've got my fingers crossed!!!!!!

Old 01-25-2012, 12:30 AM

I'm getting this error now too and it ruined a session for me. Totally at a loss how to resolve it.

ISSUE: "Could Not Allocate Space for recording!" error when I try and record to more than one track at a time.
SYSTEM: PT 9.06 with Saffire Pro 40 on Mac OSX 10.6.8. Macbook Pro 2011 4GB ram, external firewire OWC mercury elite 2TB drive

HOW IT HAPPENED: I was able to record drums (7 simultaneous tracks) to one session. I closed the session, opened another that had existing drums (same 7 tracks), and attempted to record to the 7 tracks simultaneously ... got the error.

WHAT I TRIED:
* Restarting PT, Rebooting Mac, cycling power on Audio interface and Firewire drive.
* Playing back the session while NO tracks are record enabled... this works! (just can't record)
* Turned off quick Punch record mode
* Checked disk allocation: All tracks point to the external drive with plenty of space
* Checked Workspace: Both internal and external drives are set to R for record enabled.
* Verified I can write to the external drive via the finder
* deleted all plugins from the session and increased playback buffer to the unusable setting of 512 samples.
* Creating a new blank session and importing session data from the session that didn't work... no dice
* Created a new blank session in the same folder as the broken session. A ha, I was now able to record ONE track at a time. Recording TWO at a time, would throw the Allocation error.
* Backed up then deleted PT prefs and database files
* Now am no longer able to record to ANY single track in ANY session I open... I always get the error.
* restored the prefs and database files... still not able to record to any track in any session without the error
* Changed Disk Pref "Open Ended Record Allocation" to be 15 minutes (was set at 60min)... YES this now allows me to record ONE or TWO tracks at a time. Recording THREE (or if one of the two tracks is stereo), throws the error.

SO, after 3 hours of trouble shooting and having to send a client home (costing big $$) I still can't record more than 1-2 tracks at a time. I can't even record ONE track at a time if I need that track to be longer than 15 minutes.

Please for the love of god someone help. I lost enough money today to warrant buying Logic Pro and being done with this...
Old 01-25-2012, 02:43 AM

I think I may have found a solution to my own issue. I ran Apples Disk repair utility on the external PT drive. It said it found minor issues and needed to repair them. I let it, and as of right now, I'm able to at LEAST record 7 tracks at once. This is a miracle and I feel like I've found religion! Let's see if it lasts!